GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vaguely remember seeing another member post about this, but I cannot find the thread.

Today when I left work, I decided to precondition my car before leaving my desk. When I got to Gizmo, I discovered that the AC had cooled the car, but all of the air was coming from the defrost vents. Is this normal? Auto defog/defrost or whatever it's called is disabled.

Tomorrow I will try setting it from auto, to blow from the dash vents before I park for the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You have the climate system set to Auto in the Picture. You need to set the vents to come out the front instead of Auto. Next time it wont do that.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I leave mine in auto vent select and when I precondition, it blows from the dash vents as you would expect. I think the auto setting may blow on the windshield under some conditions such as high humidity so that the inside of the windshield remains fog free.

One thing I do differently from you is leave the recirculate setting on instead of in auto during warm weather. I think that keeps the interior and evaporator drier.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. I set it to vent only with the fan speed on Auto when I parked this morning. I will go out later and set it to recirculate from Auto shortly.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think blowing from the dash vents cools the passenger area more quickly. Plus you don't get the fogging on the outside of the windshield. But to your point, it does help to angle the dash vents upward.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since hot air rises and cold air sinks, I would think if the car is not occupied, the quickest way to cool the car would be to blow the cold air up.
While this is true, I found it quite annoying to hit the wipers every couple of minutes for half of my commute home. Hopefully setting the system to vent today will resolve that issue.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I found it quite annoying to hit the wipers every couple of minutes
Only people who have lived in the South understand that. You've never experienced true humidity unless you've seen the windshield fog up on the outside....

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Amen brother. I always love it when you start out with a clear windshield and then it -just barely- crosses the dewpoint and suddenly the whole thing is fogged on the outside.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Only people who have lived in the South understand that. You've never experienced true humidity unless you've seen the windshield fog up on the outside....
Basement parking for me. I've seen the WHOLE CAR fog up. Windshield, side windows, back window, door panels, roof, brake discs....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Setting the system to vent had zero impact on the issue. I came out from work yesterday to a fogged window. I was doing a precondition through OnStar. I will try doing it from the key fob today to see if that has any impact at all.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Setting the system to vent had zero impact on the issue. I came out from work yesterday to a fogged window. I was doing a precondition through OnStar. I will try doing it from the key fob today to see if that has any impact at all.
Just to totally derail the discussion, a $40 sunshade for the windscreen will both help keep the car cooler in the first place, and deflect the blast from the glass. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to totally derail the discussion, a $40 sunshade for the windscreen will both help keep the car cooler in the first place, and deflect the blast from the glass. :D
Yes, I actually bought one today on my lunch break. I will probably have my windows tinted later in the fall.

I used the key fob as I was walking up on my lunch hour today, and when I got in the air was coming from the vents. Is it possible that preconditioning via OnStar activates differently than using the key fob? Logically, I would assume that there is no difference in the car's programming when the command is received from OnStar vs the key fob. However, years as a software developer have taught me that logical thoughts are VASTLY different from other developer's logical thoughts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the car is on does the air blow strictly from the selected vents?
Correct. When it was blowing on the windshield, with the system on Auto or set to the dash vents, when I would power the car on it would immediately switch to the dash vents.

When I tried the precondition from the key fob, it was set to the dash vents, and was blowing from them when I sat down in the car, and no vent switching occurred when I hit the power button.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I may be dreaming but wasn't there some sort of PIC issued for the HVAC system regarding the vents on the older Gen1?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I doubt the system operates differently when activated through OnStar. The manual states "...system will typically default to the last climate settings." [emphasis mine]. This leaves open the possibility that the system is under some level of automatic operation. I still suspect it is detecting a defog situation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've encountered this same issue on my 2013. For reference, I use the Auto setting (which uses the face vents) - when I first start the car, I'll put it in Comfort, then 5 or 10 min later, I'll put it to ECO. In some cases, I'll change it to point to face and feet.

What I've noticed is that if I use the key fob to remote start it, it starts it and the AC is on the same setting as when I turned the car off.

If, however, I use the MyChevy app to "precondition" it, when I get to the car, it does it's own thing - it'll be all face (not face, feet) and it seems to blow stronger. Once I start the car, it defaults to the same state I had when I turned the car off (usually, ECO and face/feet). I like this as it cools the car quicker then resumes the way I had it set.

What is odd is that one time this week, I was showing off the car to someone, did the pre-condition via the app and noticed that it was on the defrost vent with the condensation on the windshield?!? That is odd - it was also in an indoor parking garage, but it was hot out.

One time last week it actually turned on the A/C like normal but also had the heated seats on low on both front seats? Weird.

I've only seen both cases happen just one time.

However, it does appear that "precondition" from the app is different than remote start.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
However, it does appear that "precondition" from the app is different than remote start.
I agree with this statement. I did several tests last night in my driveway. When I use the app from my phone, it defaults to the defrost vent. When I use the key fob, it uses my climate settings, so it would appear that the car does indeed interpret the source of the precondition command differently.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I tested mine and it is doing the same thing (2013). It uses the windshield vents when started from the app. Strange.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts