GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED BELOW

Hi All,

I recently started a thread regarding Chevrolet's refusal to cover the replacement of the battery charger control module under warranty. My car is 2013 Volt with approx 90k miles.

I escalated a case with them and the customer service rep got back to me saying it is not covered. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was offered a call back from the supervisor which never came. Last night I sent a message through the GM customer service website briefly outlining the problem and asking for one of three outcomes..

1. Reimburse me
2. Clearly define why the part replaced on my car is not the part defined in the warranty
3. I will submit complaint through FTC and submit an intent to sue letter for willful violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The dealer that had the work done has been zero help despite showing them the warranty manual.

Here is the reply from GM,

"Hello,
Thank you for this email. At this time the Battery Control Module is not covered under the Voltec Warranty. We are not able to reimburse you for this situation. As for the legal process, I apologize, but I am not permitted to comment. If you are going to move forward with a lawyer or legal way they would know how to contact our legal department"

At this point I don't see any other path forward except legally. I am planning to send a notice of defect letter and immediately follow-up with a letter indicating the intent to sue.

Any thoughts or suggestions from here?

---------------

UPDATE: So looking through the Reddit thread listed by Tommy_D (thank you Tommy!) I tried the same approach and decided to reach out to another dealer, provide the part number, and ask if the V is showing as a coverage code. Aaaaaaand yes, that dealer shows this part with the V coverage code. He sent me a PDF which I sent to the dealer that did the service on my car. I called up the service manager over there and he was confused because he had the exact same document I sent but it did not have the V coverage code. He then said that GM updates this database on the first day of every month and wondered if it was not covered in November for some reason and then was in December. He re-ran the part number and now his system shows the V code. He text me pictures of this and he is not lying to me... I see exactly what he's talking about. He is going to talk to his district manager for GM on Friday to discuss this and find out how to get me reimbursed.

This whole ordeal has been incredibly frustrating. I have spent many hours working through this and the fact that 3 different people at GM told me the part is not covered is making my face turn purple. I can tell you.. this was my first GM and after this experience this is absolutely my last GM. Thanks for all the help folks.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Interesting. I am no lawyer, but I think corporations often try to get customers to agree to arbitration clauses to prevent these kinds of lawsuits. I am not sure if that applies in this situation. Obviously there was a lot of paperwork at the time the car was purchased. You might want to consider that before laying out money toward a lawsuit in the wrong system.

I wish you good luck. I agree that the way warranty coverage is interpreted at Chevy needs improvement to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts

·
1,027 Posts
Now you know why I lemoned my 2015 Volt. GM doesn't care if you are right. I'd send them a motor vehicle defect notification form. Most states have one, but you would be filing it under the MMWA which is federal. This is important becuase you'll see in 99% of cases filed that the manufacturer will claim they were never notified or that you have made such a claim.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Whatever you end up doing, please document the process. I have a feeling others will be interested in doing the same thing.

I think one of the problems with the warranty system is that the initial gatekeepers are employees of dealerships. I don't think the dealerships even want warranty work to begin with (low reimbursement rates), and they certainly don't want to get their warranty claims denied due to some missed step in the red tape (full loss on the service provided). This is a lose/lose scenario for them from the beginning, so they are probably inclined (maybe even trained) to steer warranty customers away.

I doubt it is much better at GM corporate. None of the GM customer service representatives wants to be that employee that said "yes" to a warranty claim if there is any shadow of a doubt that might have been the wrong answer. For that reason, if they are not certain, then they probably say "no" right off as well.

We need a better system that is not stacked against approving valid claims.

Personally, this is one of the reasons I have always made reliability a top criteria for a car purchase. I made an exception for this car. Hopefully it doesn't bite me.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Whatever you end up doing, please document the process. I have a feeling others will be interested in doing the same thing....
Did you read the reddit entry?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^ Yes, I think the guy on Reddit gathered technical information to argue his case with GM successfully. The thread here is about initiating a lawsuit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally, this is one of the reasons I have always made reliability a top criteria for a car purchase. I made an exception for this car. Hopefully it doesn't bite me.
Man, my thoughts exactly

Over 16 years of Lexus ownership with few, if any problems. I bought the Volt as it fit my needs, but I am by no means a GM fan.

I too hope I never get bit by this car...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Man, my thoughts exactly

Over 16 years of Lexus ownership with few, if any problems. I bought the Volt as it fit my needs, but I am by no means a GM fan.

I too hope I never get bit by this car...
i works both ways. I had a Lexus i got rid of because I couldn't keep it out of the shop. I'll never pay the Toyota Tax again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts