GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are relatively few examples of customized G2 Volts in this Modifications section. There are different wheels, powder coated standard wheels, and some Plastidip or vinyl-covered Chevy badges or front grills.

Anyone done something more radical? Post some pictures ...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I'd be reluctant to make too radical any modification while it's still under warranty. Older car and on my own for repairs as a hobby is a different situation. I'm sure there are those that modify brand new stuff, but that group has to be much smaller.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mirror.jpg

Installed Home link mirror. Installed Comma ai autopilot, installed illuminated charging port, Installed interior lighting kit, Installed volt shelf, changed all door speakers to kicker 6.5 and sub to kicker 10". Sound insulated interior of door and then another layer under door panel, sound insulated trunk area floor and booth sides under panels and around wheels.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
There are relatively few examples of customized G2 Volts in this Modifications section. There are different wheels, powder coated standard wheels, and some Plastidip or vinyl-covered Chevy badges or front grills.

Anyone done something more radical? Post some pictures ...
Where are your pictures ? :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Installed the Mobileye collision warning system on my 18 bare bones (except comfort package) LT. It has lane departure following distance pedestrian and collision warnings along with an auto high beam feature I can’t get to work yet. It also displays the speed limit when driving. It does not auto brake or nudge you back into your lane, it just warns you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Installed the Mobileye collision warning system on my 18 bare bones (except comfort package) LT. It has lane departure following distance pedestrian and collision warnings along with an auto high beam feature I can’t get to work yet. It also displays the speed limit when driving. It does not auto brake or nudge you back into your lane, it just warns you.

I like the idea of warnings, but still requiring driver staying in control. No braking or steering that may or may not really be necessary. Just something to encourage situational awareness.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I like the idea of warnings, but still requiring driver staying in control. No braking or steering that may or may not really be necessary. Just something to encourage situational awareness.
That’s exactly what this does.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts

Not until they invent a system that can anticipate the drivers I see every day:

Close following on my bumper when I am traveling well over the speed limit,

Oncoming drivers drifting across the center line or drifting onto the shoulder,

Changing lanes at the last second without using their turn signal,

Driving with one hand while the other holds their phone to their ear (hands free is the state law),

Driving at night with high beams on in total disregard to blinding other drivers,

Driving aggressively at dusk with only their parking lights on (driver was in a Gen 1 Leaf if you can believe it),

Driving at night with no lights on at all,

Pedestrians walking, running on the shoulder, after dark, with traffic instead of against traffic (Darwin award candidates all),

Pedestrians too busy looking at their phones while crossing the street to even glance once for oncoming traffic,

Pedestrians crossing everywhere but in the cross walk,

Cyclists riding after dark with no lights on their bicycle.

I see this and more every day within a mile of where I live. It has gotten to the point that I will not be at all surprised when there is a fatal accident between a vehicle and a pedestrian or cyclist on the main road near my house.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Thanks but no thanks. May be OK for straight roads but most of the roads around here are twisty's and as such I take the racing line (while of course staying with in the lines. I don't need a warning every time I'm getting near a line, I'd have to turn it off and there's no point of having something if it's turn off all the time. Every body drives like that here except those with an L in the back window.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something that I have read about often and am very interested in:

I'd like to use the infotainment center console unit as an input device to my smartphone.

You could connect your smartphone to the infotainment console and use the console as a touch-sensitive screen.

I could then use a much more useful version of GoogleMaps, like the GMaps I have on my desktop PC.

I could run GoogleNews on my center console and have it read out loud the news that I am actually interested in while I drive.

I could use the center console screen to watch YouTube or Netflix type Apps while I am a passenger in my car.

It would allow more freedom in what auto-related Apps that I can load and use while running Android Auto.

I could run most any app that I would run on the phone - on my center console.

Has anyone else had these or similar ideas?

Has anyone acted on them?

Has anyone rooted their smartphone to use it with the infotainment console to mirror?

If yes, I'd love to exchange ideas with you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Something that I have read about often and am very interested in:

I'd like to use the infotainment center console unit as an input device to my smartphone.

You could connect your smartphone to the infotainment console and use the console as a touch-sensitive screen.

I could then use a much more useful version of GoogleMaps, like the GMaps I have on my desktop PC.

I could run GoogleNews on my center console and have it read out loud the news that I am actually interested in while I drive.

I could use the center console screen to watch YouTube or Netflix type Apps while I am a passenger in my car.

It would allow more freedom in what auto-related Apps that I can load and use while running Android Auto.

I could run most any app that I would run on the phone - on my center console.

Has anyone else had these or similar ideas?

Has anyone acted on them?

Has anyone rooted their smartphone to use it with the infotainment console to mirror?

If yes, I'd love to exchange ideas with you.
Unfortunately, I have chased this down as far as I can, and I'm an I.T. network engineer by trade, all-things-geek my whole life. I immediately wrote off using the iPhone, since getting one old enough to jailbreak, let alone pass video was too hard. I then rooted an old Android, and was able to get Android Auto working (AFTER paying $134 to update my car, SPECIFICALLY to do this!) briefly, but very flakey. Basically, it's not supported because by law, it's not supposed to be. The screen is in view/able to be controlled by the driver. Although a passenger/weight in that seat will allow you to override and use the keyboard while moving, nothing is SUPPOSED to allow what I know you (and I) really want (true screen mirroring, or something close). All there really is, and it's not bad, is the native CarPlay and Android Auto interfaces, which DO allow GMaps use, and many other apps written for the car.

If I can find the threads and other links I used to get as far as I did, I'll post them here; best of luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts