GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- As GM and others get better and better at making cars easy to drive and then ultimately at making vehicles that drive themselves, where does the fun of driving go? One suggestion is private tracks, monitored for safety, may become a bit more of a thing, and GM might want to consider being in that business. It doesn't have to be about 200 mph Corvettes in the hands of untrained drivers. How about just a place where one can drive a vehicle around a course after taking some training, and where the vehicle maxes out at a determined speed?

- I like driving a vehicle that has good handling, a right-sized somewhat powerful 4-cylinder engine, and a stick (I had an old Acura Integra once that was my favorite in this). As EREV powertrains are put forth, I wonder if the vehicle could be equipped with a manumatic transmission and a right-sized engine such that a person might have a bit of fun when driving on liquid fuel.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Give me a used C5 Z06 any day as my weekend track car. If I'm going to a track I want to push some of the limits and have fun. You know you don't have to drive it at 10/10th driven at 7/10th's it still faster than most and should last a long time.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
GM already does this. Several years ago I was invited to the Autobahn Country Club in Joliette, IL which is kind of like a golf country club, except there is a race track. They had a bunch of CTS and CTS-Vs that we were able to drive through various maneuvers and ultimately around the race track with Skip Barber instructors. I'd have to say, it was an absolute blast to hit 130-150 MPH in a V, but it also scared the living daylights out of ever buying one to drive on our pothole ridden, pedestrian and other traffic-filled streets. I'd love to drive one on a track, I'm never going to own one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM already does this. Several years ago I was invited to the Autobahn Country Club in Joliette, IL which is kind of like a golf country club, except there is a race track. They had a bunch of CTS and CTS-Vs that we were able to drive through various maneuvers and ultimately around the race track with Skip Barber instructors. I'd have to say, it was an absolute blast to hit 130-150 MPH in a V, but it also scared the living daylights out of ever buying one to drive on our pothole ridden, pedestrian and other traffic-filled streets. I'd love to drive one on a track, I'm never going to own one.
Thanks, yes, that is an example of what I meant (and sounds like fun, though I personally probably wouldn't be interested in going that fast). I am not sure, but I think the future may hold more of that sort of track for-the-fun-of-it experience, given that regular driving may soon be broken down to computer control to a greater degree than at present.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
After my dear friends lost their daughter in a fiery one car crash, driving fast has lost its appeal to me.
Agreed, I used to want a CTS-V or another really fast car, but now I'm happy with what the Volt can accomplish. If Tesla offered a grandpa mode instead of Ludicrous or Plaid, I'd take it, just to keep from doing something stupid to win the Darwin Award.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Miata for my fun summer car. A few years ago I had an LS3 motor swap done and it is now over 400rwhp. Stupid fast and stupid fun. Used to track it several times each summer but it’s been a few years now. Still a fun weekend toy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think the horse offers a pretty comparative example of where car ownership we be at some point in the future, maybe after I'm dead though!

People in rural areas will often still own a car (horse), for both work and pleasure. Some people will keep a car (horse) at a facility that maintains it for their occasional use (racetrack / stable). There will be places you can go that rent a car (horse) for your pleasurable use, maybe with a co-driver (guide) depending on your level of driving skill.

Personally, I can't wait for they day. I HATE driving in traffic to commute to work. I LOVE driving on the track. I would GLADLY trade private ownership of a commuter car for a real race car of my own kept at a local track (tracks can be a lot more local when there's no noise or pollution).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts