GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Well, my wife and I are 1.5 years into our THIRD Volt. We had two version 1 volts previously.

In late 2016 we replaced our 2014 and leased our current V2 2017. All three models were the stripped down versions, not the full accessory versions.

I have been meaning to post this for a long time - my wife has been wanting me to let GM designers know, that we are very unhappy with the very uncomfortable driver seating, in the version two (2017). My wife LOVED the 2014 volt seats, they were VERY comfortable. No problems at all.

My wife has scoliosis in the lumbar area of her back (curved spine). She had no problems at all with comfort with the 2014 volt. It has very comfortable seats. As soon as we picked up the 2017 - she noticed a big problem - first of all the seat is too low to the floor, so she has to place a pillow on the seat to raise herself up. She is not a short woman - she is 5' 5". Also, for some reason, whether or not she is using a booster pillow, the seat places undue stress, resulting in pain, on her right leg, due to the lumbar scoliosis. The previous 2014 Version 1 model, did not cause her this pain.

SO I just wanted to let who ever made the decisions to re design the seating, did a bad job, and we will probably not be leasing a 2020 volt, due to this sole reason - namely, I can not have my wife driving around a 35 thousand car, that causes her pain or contributes to her spine problem, because someone at GM decided to change the car seats to save a few bucks and get a salary bonus.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Just in case you were not aware, new for 2019, GM is offering an optional 6-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support on the 2019 Volt LT. The power driver's seat is standard on the 2019 Volt Premier. The power driver's seat does not have memory settings.

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Just in case you were not aware, new for 2019, GM is offering an optional 6-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support on the 2019 Volt LT. The power driver's seat is standard on the 2019 Volt Premier. The power driver's seat does not have memory settings.
Might be worth a test drive/sit.

Also, some have taken the seta into their own hands. Toward the bottom this (Bolt) thread shows a handful of seat mods to add extra cushion and lumbar support https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?325017-Bolt-EV-seat-padding-mods-2. I'm pretty sure the mods are applicable to Gen 2 Volt seats as well.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's an unfortunate story - I guess you bought it first and checked out the seating afterward?

I'm sure it's nearly impossible to design a seat everyone would feel completely comfortable in, let alone anyone with physical ailments - I'm surprised the seats caught you completely by surprise

We hear all the time about how uncomfortable many people feel the Bolt seats are - They must be really bad for so many people to mention it

Our '17 Premiere leather seating on the other hand is excellent - We bought the car 1,000 miles from home without the opportunity for a test drive, so we were a bit apprehensive about things like how comfortable th seating and ergonomics might be and we knew we would have a 3 day trip getting it home. Both the wife and I were pleasantly surprised that our Gen2 seats are among the most comfortable car seats we've owned in quite some time - Lucky us!

I think if you can design a seat that 80% or more of your buyers are happy with, you've probably done something next to impossible. If you have any physical handicaps, it's probably a very good idea to take the car for an overnight test drive before you decide whether or not it's something you want to buy - Very few things fit everybody perfectly. I'm not sure it's something that a redesign would correct . . . . they might make it better for a few and worse for an even larger number of drivers

Don

·
Registered
974 Posts
My wife is super sensitive to seat comfort, rates this very highly on her check ride list. When I test drove our Volt I took along 2 seat cushions and a lumbar support in case things didn't work out. She doesn't like the standard Volt seat for long trips so she uses extra lumbar support and a seat cushion for long trips.

Wife complains that lumbar support is in adequate on our GM vehicles, don't know if it is a common problem across all lines?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
... As soon as we picked up the 2017 - she noticed a big problem - first of all the seat is too low to the floor, so she has to place a pillow on the seat to raise herself up...
Have you tried using the seat height adjuster? It sounds like the seat is set at its lowest height. You can 'pump' the height of the seat up quite a bit with the lever on the side.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
My wife has scoliosis in the lumbar area of her back (curved spine). She had no problems at all with comfort with the 2014 volt. It has very comfortable seats. As soon as we picked up the 2017 - she noticed a big problem - first of all the seat is too low to the floor, so she has to place a pillow on the seat to raise herself up. She is not a short woman - she is 5' 5". Also, for some reason, whether or not she is using a booster pillow, the seat places undue stress, resulting in pain, on her right leg, due to the lumbar scoliosis. The previous 2014 Version 1 model, did not cause her this pain.
I have to opposite problem (flat curve) that causes pain in my back. If the seat has too much built in lumbar, I can't sit in it very long without undue pain.

I'm very tall, but all legs. I pump the seat up all the way to get a better position looking out.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Seats are highly personal. The Volt Gen1 seats are very wide compared to my other cars, I feel like I could fit two of me in there. Little lumbar support, however the support is lower down, exactly where I need it as I found it difficult to drive more than an hour without back pain but when I bought the Volt, no more pain. I still feel that I'm sitting on a bench seat though but I'll take the trade off. I suggest taking a car for an hour drive before sinking money into a car if there you have any back problems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. Yes JRRF we know about the seat pump, does not help much.

My wife did not notice the problem until driving it all day.

I am wondering if it is possible, or how much would it cost to buy the 6-way power driver's seat and replace the manual...that is, if we decide to buy out the lease and keep the 2017 when it lease comes up.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Yes JRRF we know about the seat pump, does not help much.

My wife did not notice the problem until driving it all day.

I am wondering if it is possible, or how much would it cost to buy the 6-way power driver's seat and replace the manual...that is, if we decide to buy out the lease and keep the 2017 when it lease comes up.
Now that they offer it, it could be a bolt in swap. But I'm going to guess that the seat assemble is not cheap (>$1k)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 Volt Premier. The power seats are a nice upgrade, but they do not really provide extra adjustibility VS manual seats I don't think. The power seat in my 2017 Cruze Premier actually had more adjustments, the largest being the ability to adjust the pitch of the seat bottom. On the Volt it ONLY goes up/down. You can't adjust the front/rear of the seat separately which is a huge bummer. I don't find there to be nearly enough thigh support for what I find comfortable because I can't raise the front of the seat up, but, but keep the back lower.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 Volt Premier. The power seats are a nice upgrade, but they do not really provide extra adjustibility VS manual seats I don't think. The power seat in my 2017 Cruze Premier actually had more adjustments, the largest being the ability to adjust the pitch of the seat bottom. On the Volt it ONLY goes up/down. You can't adjust the front/rear of the seat separately which is a huge bummer. I don't find there to be nearly enough thigh support for what I find comfortable because I can't raise the front of the seat up, but, but keep the back lower.
My 2017 is the first car in about 20 years that doesn't have power seats. Thinking back, I can't ever remember changing the position of any of those seats once I found my favorite spot. 😀

·
Registered
244 Posts
Agreed, JRRF. I haven't had a car in many years w/o power seats, but I really don't miss them in the Volt. Oddly enough, I have no problems at all with the Volt seats, but the seats in my Jaguar, 12 way power, which most people say are super comfortable, don't fit me that well. I finally found out by retracting the lumber pad completely to the rear, the seats are much better, at least for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
My 2017 is the first car in about 20 years that doesn't have power seats. Thinking back, I can't ever remember changing the position of any of those seats once I found my favorite spot. 😀
Important when there is more than 1 person that drives the car. My wife's seating position and mine are way different as an example.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Agreed, JRRF. I haven't had a car in many years w/o power seats, but I really don't miss them in the Volt. Oddly enough, I have no problems at all with the Volt seats, but the seats in my Jaguar, 12 way power, which most people say are super comfortable, don't fit me that well. I finally found out by retracting the lumber pad completely to the rear, the seats are much better, at least for me.
Same thing here. I need the lumbar out of the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased my 2018 Volt Premier because of the very comfortable seats. I can drive across the country very well with it. I am not a young person.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased my 2018 Volt Premier because of the very comfortable seats. I can drive across the country very well with it. I am not a young person.
I’m with you. I have an 18 2lt and it’s the most comfortable road tripping car I’ve ever had. I’m neither young nor small and the Volt fits me to a tee. I used to really dread cross country drives, but the Volt makes them sort of relaxing. And I don’t feel like I need to empty the wallet to fill the tank :).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I like the old full bench seats ... never had an issue with them.

Move the PRNDL back to the column and give me a full bench seat
The car I learned to drive on was my Mom's 1970 Chevy Nova. Bench seat with polyester upholstery. And of course, polyester slacks were very popular then, so if you took a corner too fast, you would slide across that bench! Taught me to wear the seat belts, that's one good thing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts