GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The purpose of "Round Trip Mode" would be to provide more accurate DIC estimates of remaining electric range.

I have found that whenever a significant change in elevation is experienced during the outbound leg of a round trip, the estimated remaining electric range is usually way off.

The suggested "Round Trip Mode" would adjust that estimate to account for the reverse change in elevation to be encountered during the return leg of the trip.

It appears that, while beginning electric range after a full charge seems to be based on an average of days or weeks of driving, decrements to the beginning electric range used to estimate the remaining electric range are based on miles/kw-hr driven since the most recent full charge. Based on this estimating method, a downhill outbound leg results in a larger than realistic remaining range for the uphill return leg of the trip.

If the calculation of remaining range were adjusted to account for much higher than average miles/kw-hr on the outbound leg, then drivers using "Round Trip Mode" would have a better of idea of whether or not to grab a charge at the way point or to engage mountain mode during a highway portion of the return leg of the trip.

KNS

· Registered
26 Posts
Round trip mode

This would be a definite improvement on what we have now. I live at the top of a 1,000 foot hill and be the time I reach the bottom I always show a range of 55 to 60 plus the 3 or 4 miles that I have already driven. If I continue on relatively flat terrain I usually manage above 50 miles but if I have to return home I am lucky to obtain 45.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.