GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - as a new Volt driver, I took a look through the newcomers stickies and related links such as here:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?127506-A-Newcomers-Guide-Chevy-Volt-Tips-amp-FAQ-Index

but at first look I was unable to discover any discussions really of etiquette and "signage" or "tag" discussion. What I mean by "tag" or "signage" is something I can put on my windshield or perhaps hang on or near the connector where it meets the car to communicate to someone who comes along that it is ok to unplug me if they have a BEV and need to charge. (Secondary question - maybe also to discuss signage on the station itself (I am involved with maintaining that particular public/free-to-use local station)). I guess I do need to ask one or two related questions, but if I can find a thread on this forum where tag design and station signage designs are discussed, I'll ask there instead. Pretty excited about my 2013 Volt with under 40k miles!

·
Administrator
21,229 Posts
Beat me to it, haha.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EVExtend sells a magnetic sign that informs others how to read your charging display and when to unplug you:

Magnet for Volt Gen 1
Thanks Michaellax and Steverino. I took a look at the sticker and did buy it, but is there a thread where there is discussion of this, or is it best just to begin discussion here?

There are a few other things for me on this topic. For example, I personally am more-than-ok with it if someone unplugs me before my charge is complete, at this particular station, as long as they do not damage the car (those stickers seem to apply only to 2011-2015, so maybe after that model year maybe Chevy changed how the car responds to being unplugged while charging?) This is in a relatively isolated area (by EV standards) ... .the closest networked or non-networked public station is about 30 miles away... and I would be mortified if I made a Leaf or Tesla driver passing through wait for me to finish charging, or worse, if they just didn't read closely, and had to wait hours for me to return to my car, or became angry and perceived me as violating some sort of etiquette by making use of the only public J1772 around when for me it's a want, and for them it's a need. Also, I am involved with maintaining the station, and have some say-so in the signage on the station itself. When I was a Leaf driver, I believe we did put something on the station and on plugshare about everyone trying to be careful to be polite to each other (not heavy usage, but here and there), but I basically want to think through the tag on my car and the signage on the station and the note on plugshare so they all continue in this direction (so far, we haven't had reports of issues, but just thinking ahead).

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had the Volt Gen 1 and basically the charging lite is anti-intuitive and they fixed it with the Gen 2 which is now consistent with my Bolt EV: flashing means charging; steady green means fully charged.

EVExtend has a new magnetic sticker for the Volt Gen2 and Bolt EV too!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There might be an earlier thread, but with new members joining all the time, I, for one, always think that a new fresh look at some of these issues is helpful to new members!
Ok, thanks, this is more what I was after. I'm not a new member, but I am definitely a new Volt driver, and appreciate the responses. I am kind of fumbling around in the dark with certain issues, some of them of course less important than others, but when you're fumbling around, it's a bit harder to prioritize and know for sure what's a priority shout-out item and what can wait for later.

On this issue, I am starting to see some threads and search terms that might or might not be candidates in which to ask further questions. (Example: "public" "station" "etiquette", etc.). Will come back to this later and mention if I can find a thread where I can find or engage in robust discussion of public station signage and etiquette or if maybe it just seems best to carry it out further here in a fresh way, or perhaps a bit of both.

On other issues, the only other "priority shout-out" issue (i.e.: as much as possible, ask about it and get it right from the start), I can think of just only just came to me a few moments ago. It is not related to the public charging topic I started here, I'll have to do a quick look at FAQs and forum.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Two years in and I've charged at a public station.... maybe 3 times?
Of course that is as much a function of THERE AREN'T ANY in my area as anything else <sigh>

The public ones we do have nearby are all Lev III/CHAdeMO

·
Administrator
21,229 Posts
Two years in and I've charged at a public station.... maybe 3 times?

Same here. I charge at home 99.999999% of the time. And given that it's a Volt, getting unplugged is not really on my list of important concerns.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And now that there's a few responses, the "Similar Threads" box below will be well-populated with related topics.
Ok, thanks, that also helped and I did find 2-3 other relevant threads. However, they're all several years old. If I recall, there are rules here as to commenting on threads older than a certain amount. So, that leaves me out of luck if I had some further thoughts, but I'll see what I can get from the old comments. I think I'd like to communicate something similar to what this person is saying:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...while-at-public-charging-station-(past-thread).

scrambler

PLEASE LOOK AT THE GREEN LIGHT ON THE DASHBOARD !
If it is blinking, I am finished charging feel free to unplug
If it is steady, I am charging, please leave me plugged in
If you are desperate for a charge before my green light is blinking, please plug me back when you are done so I can finish.
THANK YOU!

·
Administrator
21,229 Posts
I recall, there are rules here as to commenting on threads older than a certain amount.
If there are, I don't know about them, and I'm one of those who enforce the rules, lol :)

Our rules are pretty simple:
No spamming, no cursing, no name calling, no dealer "cars for sale" posts unless a sponsor, no politics except in the Off-Topic, Politics sub-form.

I'm not sure what your concerns are. Just plugin your car and go about your business. Don't unplug others without their permission. I think you are making this into something bigger than it needs to be.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If there are, I don't know about them, and I'm one of those who enforce the rules, lol :)

Our rules are pretty simple:
No spamming, no cursing, no name calling, no dealer "cars for sale" posts unless a sponsor, no politics except in the Off-Topic, Politics sub-form.
Hi Steverino,

Thanks, I may have been confusing my memories of this forum with those of another. I'll just dive in to create a thread or two, or restart an old one or two, whichever seems like it might work out.

I'm not sure what your concerns are. Just plugin your car and go about your business. Don't unplug others without their permission. I think you are making this into something bigger than it needs to be.
The thing is, I really like discussing EVs and related issues in general, and so, as in the past, and going forward, many of my points or questions may not have anything to do with seeing about getting a question answered for my own personal driving so much as fleshing out some ideas relating to general EV discussion. On a related note, I want to note briefly that part of my job is in a part of the industry (and just underscoring that I speak for myself only). So, I tend to be into discussion and nuances that might not always interest others.

With all that said, on the thing with the immediate topic, there are at least three aspects that interest me to discuss further:

- This is a somewhat unusual station and situation. It is the only public J1772 for 30 miles, and at present I think the only working one within about 45-50 miles. There are no DC quick charge stations within that radius. So, a Leaf driver on their last bars running up to this station and encountering a plugged-in PHEV might be momentarily non-plussed and I just want to find the absolute best way to put the situation at ease. At the same time, I am one of the people involved with the administration of the station (at one time I was the only EV driver in the county, driving a Leaf, so pressed for it to be installed). It's been a really successful and positive thing (good appreciative comments from users on Plugshare, etc.). So, I just want to keep it that way. Basically, if I go there several times a week and plug in while I"m at the gym or dining out, will there momentarily be a problem? I could choose simply not to plug in, but the station is far enough from my house that this might result in my burning a bit of gas each trip I'd rather not burn, so I would like to plug in, as long as I can make the process seamless of staying out of the way of those who simply need the station.

- Even when I was a BEV driver, I thought there was a tendency of some drivers to get a bit high up on their horse about this issue of encountering a PHEV that was plugged in to a public station. So, now that I'm on the other side of it, and it becomes a practical matter to me, I guess I want to look at the issue a bit more.

- Just mulling this over the last few days, it sounds like there could be an opportunity for development, at the nexus between human behavior and technology, of some sort of automated mutually-agreed completely-standardized protocol where BEV and PHEV drivers could agree to push certain buttons, have cars talk to each other, and plug and unplug in an efficient way. Just thinking out loud.

- I have always thought there is at least one argument for PHEV drivers (or EREV if that is preferred) plugging in at public stations which is that it helps them increase the % of the all-EV miles.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Having leased a Volt for 3 years before my current Bolt EV, my 2 cents: in a situation where ONLY one charger is available within a certain distance, a BEV ALWAYS has priority over car like a Volt, where it has gasoline backup!

Living in the Los Angeles metro region, that situation has not been active for years and hopefully technology will catch up to your situation, too!

·
Registered
310 Posts
There was one guy on this forum who said that he would unplug an unattended Bolt EV at a Chevy dealers' DCFC so he could plug his Spark in!

Needless to say, that discussion got a bit heated! hahahaha

He was in Conn and I am in California, so chances are that duel will not happen! :D

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you're really interested in lots of heated opinion, post on the main Volt or Bolt FB groups!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having leased a Volt for 3 years before my current Bolt EV, my 2 cents: in a situation where ONLY one charger is available within a certain distance, a BEV ALWAYS has priority over car like a Volt, where it has gasoline backup!
Thanks michaellax: I agree that a BEV has priority and this is explicitly stated on the plugshare account for this station, and possibly on the station itself. The question though is if I plug in my Volt at the station, how do I make sure that things go super-smoothly and congenially if a BEV driver pulls up, particularly if it's a BEV driver with a poor attitude who assumes wrongly that a PHEV charging at that station is against rules or against etiquette.

Living in the Los Angeles metro region, that situation has not been active for years and hopefully technology will catch up to your situation, too!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Thanks michaellax: I agree that a BEV has priority and this is explicitly stated on the plugshare account for this station, and possibly on the station itself. The question though is if I plug in my Volt at the station, how do I make sure that things go super-smoothly and congenially if a BEV driver pulls up, particularly if it's a BEV driver with a poor attitude who assumes wrongly that a PHEV charging at that station is against rules or against etiquette.
If you are administering the charging station, you get to make the rules. :) Main thing is to move the car when it is done charging. The Volt can even send you a text message when charging is complete. (Onstar subscription required. And yes it has been sick the last few days.) I think everyone can agree that folks who leave their cars plugged in at the station 'all day' are bad actors. Probably more of a problem at 'free' stations as opposed to ones where you get charged by the hour.

I occasionally use public charging stations when the round trip is not quite within battery range. Got to keep up my voltstats! And even though it is often more expensive than charging at home, or even using gas, it helps keep the station utilization up - so any powers that be can see that there is demand for them. Hopefully encouraging them to install more stations.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If you are administering the charging station, you get to make the rules. :) Main thing is to move the car when it is done charging. The Volt can even send you a text message when charging is complete. (Onstar subscription required. And yes it has been sick the last few days.) I think everyone can agree that folks who leave their cars plugged in at the station 'all day' are bad actors. Probably more of a problem at 'free' stations as opposed to ones where you get charged by the hour.
while I won't leave a car plugged in all day in public at the only station around, and while I'm aware of the alert mechanisms, what I want to do is not to convey to any incoming BEV drivers that they should wait for me to finish charging but the opposite. I want them to pause the station, unplug my Volt, (without regard for whether it was charging), plug in their BEV, but (most importantly) not spend a single moment getting bent out of shape, leaving EVhole signs on my car, vandalizing it, whatever.

I may be at the gym. I may be at a restaurant blocks away. I may not notice the call. So, when they come by, I just really want to bypass this whole matter of them seeing my PHEV/EREV plugged in, and go straight to charging their BEV, no muss, no fuss. Ideally they will turn off the charge first at the EVSE (there is a button), then unplug me, then plug in next to the spot (the cord is long, and the next spot is usually free).

But until I can be confident of how that will work, I am reluctant to plug in, in some cases. Noting to the side that the magnetic sign that was recommended at the start of this discussion and which I bought is specifically not useful for all of this, because I think it asks the BEV driver to wait for my car to finish charging.

I occasionally use public charging stations when the round trip is not quite within battery range. Got to keep up my voltstats! And even though it is often more expensive than charging at home, or even using gas, it helps keep the station utilization up - so any powers that be can see that there is demand for them. Hopefully encouraging them to install more stations.
good point about encouraging them, me too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts