GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20160522_062349.jpg It seems 25May is National Wine Day or the other...time to post. First things first, love the '17 Volt. Crossing fingers it holds out from a failure while driving - not sure how I'd manage a loss of power while driving - we can plan for it right? Think it through, push some buttons, migrate safely to the shoulder, etc...Call OnStar. Check. Okay until then, I want to enjoy this car and I do! My earlier posts mention the vibration rattles that occurs, and they still do, and I've recorded them, loud and clear. Car still drifts slightly left - air pressure in tires - I've not checked, because I do not own (yet) a hi-end device mentioned in a few forums here. Until then, I rely on the TPMS - because if I use a $3 gauge, it would not be considered legit it seems.
But - here was the deal made 8 full days/nights ago on the 16th of May:
$38,840.00 MSRP
-$1,440.00 Military + some DLR Discount
-$1,000.00 Private Offer
$36,400.00
-$1,500.00 Down, Out-of-Pocket
+$365.00 TTX
+ $1,560.70 Negative Equity from New Mazda 3 GT HB Zoom, zoom!
$36,825.70 - OTD - not a great deal, not a great deal, but I'm in AK. And really liked the car.

And 'lo and behold, my garage door, on night #5 from purchase - fails. It is not an electric garage door - yes I know you went there, everyone does. The very large tension/torsion spring at the top, simply separated and not due to a force or pressures outside of the up and down (with ease). I plugged the car in, made it to my 3rd floor door, and "bang!" - so I dashed back to the garage and found nothing unusual that night, it was the next morning 0615 that I found the door would not lift and the broken spring. Called work, called a taxi - $38 for a 10.5 mile lift. Alaska.
So, Carma I guess : )
Thought I had the Android Auto, but did not, went in today and upgraded. No issues, but I printed and talked through WOT's sticky on the matter. The Volt tech appreciated it, but he knew the details and I found him quite tech savvy.
I've had to use the gas generator for a few days, no issues, and I've found a way to plug-in outside the garage, using my designated outlet for "engine block heater" purposes. (not using an extension cord, although considered it).
All-in-all, I really love the Volt's feel, torque, zip, EV range, mileage, soft/supple leather seats, steering wheel feel, handling, etc - and I've not read the entire manual yet, but I will. I really need to learn why I have heat in Eco mode, vs non-Eco mode. But I have heat and that's what matters!! Very mild mornings here, very nice afternoons. 40's-70's. Thanks all. mmm Wine Day :p:p
PS: 8 days, 376miles; 12.5hrs time

·
Registered
568 Posts
I too have had my garage spring break -- about 1 year after I bought my house (built in '76, first time home buyer in '13) same thing, I hear a loud ass "bang" 200 dollars later it was fixed. It's crazy how much potential energy those things can hold.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
And 'lo and behold, my garage door, on night #5 from purchase - fails. It is not an electric garage door - yes I know you went there, everyone does. The very large tension/torsion spring at the top, simply separated and not due to a force or pressures outside of the up and down (with ease).
One of my garage door springs also broke, after about 20 years of use. The guy I called to replace it said that this is normal - they have a certain lifespan and then the repeated wear of tensioning and untensioning eventually does them in. Given the number of companies around here that specialize in replacing these springs, it seems pretty plausible to me. I had him replace both springs (one on each side of the chain drive) since I figured that the other one was probably in a similar state.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Ouch, you paid too much for the car and made it worse by adding negative equity. And you're about to do it again if you trade this car in a few years down the road. Please consider driving this car into the ground and maintaining it for the long haul to avoid the next one. And next time look harder for a better deal. They are out there if you are patient.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Car still drifts slightly left - air pressure in tires - I've not checked, because I do not own (yet) a hi-end device mentioned in a few forums here. Until then, I rely on the TPMS - because if I use a $3 gauge, it would not be considered legit it seems."

I used a cheap gauge and found pressures indicated by the gauge to be 2 to 3 lbs higher than the dash indicated pressures. Good enough for me!!

"The very large tension/torsion spring at the top, simply separated and not due to a force or pressures outside of the up and down (with ease)."

I had double springs on each side (not torsion type) installed originally; years later one of the springs failed and the other 3 springs carried the load without large scale consequences. Worked good enough for me!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
--> ILNinja = Yes I did pay too much - I know it - the Lower 48 advantage is very evident. I will drive it for a very, very long time. I should have been in a Volt much earlier though - I was in California last fall - if only I was in the market then! thanks for feedback

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the Feedback

Thanks all for the feedback. I've driven only D & L, and "hold" - today - I will go sport! I hope this door gets fixed today. I charged outside overnight (no illuminated port).

·
Registered
921 Posts
Also had one of those springs break. Got a pro to fix it, as I had no clue how it was even done. After watching carefully, and learning all the tricks from a very talkative repair guy, I'd still call the pro.

On another house that had a solid door, the flip-up style, a broken spring was just the thing that pushed me over the edge to getting it replaced with a roll-up door.

AK prices are what they are, it's good to be in a Volt, regardless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i replaced my own springs once. well, 1/2 of them. got the first one on with a bunch of effort and some luck. 2nd once broke free of it's clip and slung past my head and imbedded itself in the drywall behind me. i called a garage door guy after that.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I've replaced my garage door spring twice now. They are rated for a certain number of cycles. I don't recall the number now (10,000?). That can be as little as 5-10 years if you use your door a lot. And yeah, you definitely do not want to be under it when it comes slamming down. I'm surprised there is not some kind of a safety brake against that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The house I grew up in had the OLD type of linear springs and one of those gave once and slammed down and bashed a nice gash in the concrete floor. My dad was really pissed that nobody would sell him a replacement because they were so dangerous and eventually had to replace the entire lift mechanism with a "contained spring" like the one the OP shows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i replaced my own springs once. well, 1/2 of them. got the first one on with a bunch of effort and some luck. 2nd once broke free of it's clip and slung past my head and imbedded itself in the drywall behind me. i called a garage door guy after that.
omg >< hahaha - I won't be doing the repair thankfully -

BTW drove it in sport today and love it - nice Zip - and I would test that zip at red lights. The Volt is very quick off the line, whereas, the others are spinning up gears, I'm long gone - but I had to watch it, police out today in Anchorage. Today is spectacular, sunshine, mild 61F - 4KHD day

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
omg >< hahaha - I won't be doing the repair thankfully -

BTW drove it in sport today and love it - nice Zip - and I would test that zip at red lights. The Volt is very quick off the line, whereas, the others are spinning up gears, I'm long gone - but I had to watch it, police out today in Anchorage. Today is spectacular, sunshine, mild 61F - 4KHD day
Just another FYI. if you floor it in sport or floor it in Normal the volt takes off the same. The only difference is the accelerator mapping. so a lighter touch in sport will give you a jackrabbit acceleration from moving slow, but you can accomplish the exact same thing by mashing it to the floor in Normal. There is no extra HP switching to sport.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
View attachment 111322 Car still drifts slightly left - air pressure in tires - I've not checked, because I do not own (yet) a hi-end device mentioned in a few forums here. Until then, I rely on the TPMS - because if I use a $3 gauge, it would not be considered legit it seems.
The TPMS has always matched my tire pressure gauge exactly. I don't think you need to worry. IF TPMS says your tires all have the same pressure, I'd worry about an alignment problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi thanks ilninja re: sport mode = accelerator mapping etc.

I'm thinking about starting a separate thread on my TPMS vs. Onstar report vs Real Pressures on the tires.
I purchased a $13 gauge today and recorded my pressures - then topped all up to 40psig and took it out for a few miles.
The drift seems to have improved - but too early to tell. Will have it on the highway in the morning and will definitely find out.

And my garage door was put up to a build of 80% completion. The maintenance man had to split, going camping and taking his boat out with family - his wife said to get home or get a divorce! lol : ) so I have to be careful. It does not have a counterweight or spring system installed yet. Just rails, track, rollers...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi thanks ilninja re: sport mode = accelerator mapping etc.

I'm thinking about starting a separate thread on my TPMS vs. Onstar report vs Real Pressures on the tires.
I purchased a $13 gauge today and recorded my pressures - then topped all up to 40psig and took it out for a few miles.
The drift seems so have improved - but too early to tell. Will have it on the highway in the morning and will definitely find out.

And my garage door was put up to a build of 80% completion. The maintenance man had to split, going camping and taking his boat out with family - his wife said to get home or get a divorce! lol : ) so I have to be careful. It does not have a counterweight or spring system installed yet. Just rails, track, rollers...
Just be glad he didn't rush off after putting only one spring in. My door was stuck halfway and even bent a little by the mismatch of one spring still working, and it was impossible to open or close it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts