GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I would like to know exactly how much juice my charger pulls over time to calculate exact cost to drive. So I guess a sub meter is in my future. Can someone recommend a good one. Thanks

Clay

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Well, someone with more experience will surely write shortly. But in the meantime, know that you don't have to buy another meter. There are a couple of devices out there that use clamp on type ammeters to tell you what's going on with your 220 loads:
http://www.theenergydetective.com/how-does-ted-work

Edit: I was actually waiting for solar_dave to chime in...just a few minutes earlier

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
TED looks pretty cool. Did you buy an extra MTU to separate out the Volt charger from the total house load?

Clay
I have 4 MTU/CTs on the TED. The descriptions and line graph colors

1) main house [load] Red
2) Solar [generation] Green
3) office/workshop building [load] Pink
4) Volt chargers [load] Light Blue

Additional lines on graphs are yellow = voltage and Dark Blue = net_watts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased these items from Civic Solar http://www.civicsolar.com/ for $115 total including shipping. The meter is the same type as my electric company uses for my home. Very high quality, Landis+Gyr FOCUS kWh type ALF. It has worked perfectly so far. There is no programming required for the meter (although it can be programmed). It cycles through the displays.

1 x Meter Socket Round for 1S or 2S Form
SKU: cs-11316
1 x Digital AC Kilowatt Hour Meter 240VAC 2S form
SKU: cs-11384

Go to the website and type in or copy the sku numbers above into the website for further information. The sales person was very helpful. The meter was brand new as far as I could tell and it started at zero. I had an electrician install it and he was very satisfied with the quality. He said he could not get anything approaching that for less than $350-$400.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.