GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came out from getting my hair cut to find this young guy (air force I think) with a tweaked Subaru WRX checking out the "OHM-RIDE". I think he was more interested in asking questions about my car than bragging on his own which had a really nice sounding Magnaflow exhaust and some tweaks by Cobb.

He was begging me to tell him what I used to get so much depth to my "black shine", he was like "man my car looks terrible next to yours, I gotta go home and shine it up!"

It was really fun showing him under the hood, he was absolutely fascinated by it all.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Always nice to find a "real" car guy, rather than a brand specific fanboi. In the past I have had several Japanese made sporty cars, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and Mazda... I never understood the guys who had to degrade "rival" makes to feel good about there own purchasing decisions.

I guess it is a personality type, we had a guy at work who seldom did anything work related without an audience and would talk crap about co-workers not working "as hard" as him. The jacked up part is when pay raise time came around each year he was always top tier almost exclusively on talking crap and only working when someone could see him doing it. He was also a "brand specific" guy when it came to cars.

Keith

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
If only Chevy offered an AWD option for the volt...imagine the traction and acceleration with another electric motor connected to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
743 Posts
So how do you get the shine he admired?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
At the risk of stereotyping, in my experience, most Subaru STi and WRX owners are "true" car guys. They are proud of their cars, no doubt, but they appreciate quality engineering and purpose built/designed cars.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a large number of Volt owners also own or have owned Subaru cars. Actually, the Volt is one of the best complements to the Subaru line of cars.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I second Dutch on the Meguiar's liquid wax. I just put it on our '17 Volt on Th. and it looks fab. Not to mention the smooth feel it gives the surface. In 6 mo. when I repeat it, I'll first use their detailing clay bar that really cleans the surface before waxing.

I'll be doing the same this next week on our new 228i ragtop :D

Meguires Ultimate Liquid Wax
Expensive, but as the box says, NO white residue, and man does the car look nice afterwards!

Meguiars also has a video on this wax https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWE1s3dEHNk

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I second Dutch on the Meguiar's liquid wax. I just put it on our '17 Volt on Th. and it looks fab. Not to mention the smooth feel it gives the surface. In 6 mo. when I repeat it, I'll first use their detailing clay bar that really cleans the surface before waxing.

I'll be doing the same this next week on our new 228i ragtop :D
And if you use Meguires car cleaner before the wax, it makes it even more silky smooth. I also use Meguires car cleaner to scratches on DVDs from Redbox when they come scuffed up and start to skip. It's amazing on that bug juice and crud that sticks to the front bumper

·
Registered
22 Posts
At the risk of stereotyping, in my experience, most Subaru STi and WRX owners are "true" car guys. They are proud of their cars, no doubt, but they appreciate quality engineering and purpose built/designed cars.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a large number of Volt owners also own or have owned Subaru cars. Actually, the Volt is one of the best complements to the Subaru line of cars.
I hadn't thought of the connection, but our other car is in fact a Subaru.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I would buy a Subaru but haven't yet.

The black paint on the Volt is pretty deep looking, just have to keep it clean. I went to car wash, sprayed myself, last time I used pre-soak, high pressure wash, high pressure rinse, wax, clear coat protector, and spot free rinse, and got a few compliments for the day it was clean ;)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I bought my daughter a Subaru.
Maybe there's something in this. My daughter bought a Subaru at my recommendation, and I'm keeping an eye out for a gently used Impreza or Crosstrek for myself. Manual of course, I miss having something to do with my extra hand and foot.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I would buy a Subaru but haven't yet.
Was actually at the dealership chasing a 2010 Outback when I found the Volt at a price that was reachable, if not all-cash. (They sold the Outback the evening before to a couple that drove nearly 400 miles from Duluth to get it. Crazy if you ask me, but I hope made them happy.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Came out from getting my hair cut to find this young guy (air force I think)
The license plate frame suggests Army Cavalry and the plate itself is Virginia's "National Air & Space Museum".

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I noticed the OP blacked out the bow ties, but I'm surprised they didn't tear off the dealership logo. That's the first thing I rip off of the car. Meguires car cleaner does wonders to eliminate the residual sticker goo.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I noticed the OP blacked out the bow ties, but I'm surprised they didn't tear off the dealership logo. That's the first thing I rip off of the car. Meguires car cleaner does wonders to eliminate the residual sticker goo.
Yeah, that isn't a dealer sticker,

The running joke for "Doctor Who" fans is that I have the same thing in the same spot on my Jeep too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If Chevy built an AWD Volt, I could probably convince one-tenth of my colleagues at work to buy one. I cannot overcome the myth that AWD creates a vehicle that can function in the mountains. As I pass all of the AWD vehicles in the ditch.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If Chevy built an AWD Volt, I could probably convince one-tenth of my colleagues at work to buy one. I cannot overcome the myth that AWD creates a vehicle that can function in the mountains. As I pass all of the AWD vehicles in the ditch.
If Subaru would sell me a FWD Impreza I'd seriously consider that. I like Subarus for their sturdiness and that flat four (or even better, the flat six - spectacular engine).

·
Registered
40 Posts

I am a Subaru guy. I have owned a 2002 WRX and now a 2005 Legacy GT. I am now selling the Legacy as I've purchased a '17 Volt. Doesn't have the performance that I love, but the drive was spectacular and the gas mileage can't be beat, which is important as my commute has drastically increased.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts