GM Volt Forum banner

Why does the Volt styling matter to you? (be honest!)

• I want people to look at the Volt and think I'm cool

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • I want people to look at the Volt and think I'm "green"

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I like the mental image of myself driving a cool car (explain!)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Don't care about style - I'm all about using little or no gas

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Other (explain, please!)

Votes: 12 19.4%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many posts discussing the style of the Volt, as it has transitioned from concept to prototype to production ready. It seems a good number of you are less than pleased with the looks of the production-ready Volt, as much as we have seen of it. Others don't care about the Volt's looks - they are more interested in it's technology that will reduce or eliminate the need for gasoline.

Share your reasoning for your position on the style discussion.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Missing the point...

hi Altazi,

I think it's a safe call that 99% of people want technology that lowers the need for gasoline use. I plan on buying a Volt with the hurdle being to first sell the idea to my family. It's not a question of to use gas or not. Can I suggest a better poll?

Q> Which battery drive vehicle would best work for you?

Smart at $19,000
Cobalt at $22,000
Malibu at $26,000
Volt 4dr at $33,000
Cad XLR at $40,000

·
Registered
331 Posts
needs another option

All of the style options are about what other people think so I chose just use as little gas as possible. The only person the styling matters to is me. I could care less how other people think a car I drive looks. True the production volt doesn't look great in my opinion, but it's mechanical/electrical capabilities more than make up for it's bland styling and lackluster performance.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the style options are about what other people think so I chose just use as little gas as possible. The only person the styling matters to is me. I could care less how other people think a car I drive looks. True the production volt doesn't look great in my opinion, but it's mechanical/electrical capabilities more than make up for it's bland styling and lackluster performance.
I know that for many there will be combinations of reasons, not just clear divisions. Still, the result is very black and white - you either purchase a Volt or you do not. Your response fits mostly into category 4 (don't care about style, care instead about low/no gas use).

There are some posters who find the latest appearance of the Volt to be so distateful that they have asked to be removed from the list, and apparently won't even consider purchasing the car - despite it's low-gas / no-gas use. It is these posters whose reasons I'd like to capture. I'm trying to understand this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are some posters who find the latest appearance of the Volt to be so distateful that they have asked to be removed from the list, and apparently won't even consider purchasing the car - despite it's low-gas / no-gas use. It is these posters whose reasons I'd like to capture. I'm trying to understand this.
I picked other.... I myself am really on the fence right now about getting a Volt. I personally don't like what I've seen of the redesigned body at all (so far). Not that I was expecting it to look like the concept, but I was hoping it would look like more than your run of the mill "cookie cutter" Chevy sedan.... Generic! For $40k I'm expecting more than just an electric cross between a Malibu and a Camry, it needs to look awesome and use no gas. For $40k I want my cake and be able to eat it too.

I don't really dive a damn what others think of my car. But it needs to do it for ME on some level. I like the re-design better than a Prius, but less than my Camry Hybrid. Though I'm not real impressed with the Camry either, except for the fact it has every toy Toyota offers on a car (joy). But my sis-in-law sells them and the deal was to good to pass on... and it saves me a ton in $$$ over my 05 Tacoma Quad cab I traded for it (God I MISS that truck!!!!!!)

I think I'm going to have to wait to see some REAL performance data on the Volt. My biggest complaint about the Camry is that it SUCKS in an emergency situation where you need to floor it and get the hell outta the way. There is a good 4 to 5 second lag from the time you mat it, to the time it starts to move like a normal ICE would.

In theory the Volt should take off pretty damn quick with the instant torque of the electric engine. But the battery and programming need to be there to feed the motor and tell it to GO!!!!. I'm still shocked that there isn't some kind of capacitor (ultra or otherwise) on the Volt to assist with rapid and off the line acceleration. Unless the A123 batteries are chosen and are so damn good that caps won't be missed.

I agree that it is VERY improtant for the Volt to happen. And to get the EV market, and the tech behind it jump started. I really want to be able to drive gas free and flip off the middle east. But for $40k I MUST like the look of the car!

So....
Like the new body: NO (not yet anyhow),
Take me off the list: NO (I have hope)
Will I shell out the $$$ for a Volt: Maybe, I still have other factors like performance to consider.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Another other

I vote "Other"

I like my current car a lot (2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon.) It's not likely to die anytime soon, and I'm a firm believer in making thoughtful choices when I spend my money, even though I'm passionate about cars.

1. I like wagons. Real wagons that have useful load space nearly all the way to the back of the car. The rake of the rear glass on the Volt looks like it'll cut into a fair amount of that space, but will probably be more useful than a Malibu Maxx, so it's not bad, but it's not a wagon.

2. The car you've got may be cheaper/greener overall than the supergreen car you want. Unless I suddenly had to commute 30 miles in stop-and-go, I wouldn't consider replacing my Legacy with a Prius. Restarting the depreciation clock isn't free, and if you have a modern, clean, reliable car that gets more than 20 MPG it's going to take you a LONG time to pay off the cost of getting a new one, even if it gets lots of miles per gallon/charge/both.

3. Never ever ever buy version 1.0. (I'm a computer programmer and I like gadgets. It's a good philosophy to stick to.)

4. A car is probably the 2nd-biggest class of purchase you're going to make (home being 1st of course.) You should LIKE what you're buying, not JUST buy the cheapest/most frugal/yadda yadda. I think there'll be lots of attractive interesting green choices before too long, from GM and their competitors. The Volt isn't a bad start and I don't think it's a bad vehicle, but it doesn't have enough appeal to get me past the first 3 items on this list.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sentinel, GearheadGeek,

Great "other" responses.

C'mon everyone, speak up!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I voted other also

I do care about styling, but form follows function. Aerodynamics and physics dictate the Volt’s shape -- you can't get around the fact that a tear drop is the most aerodynamic shape. I for one think there is beauty in a functional design (low Cd), so I like the overall looks -- I'm not sure I'm crazy about the wide black window molding under the side windows as its gimmicky, but it's not a show stopper and I'll reserve my final judgement until I can see a Volt in person.

Overall, the production version looks to be a more practical car than the show car – more front & rear head room and more glass for visibility. One of the cars I currently drive is a 2006 non-Hybrid Honda Civic 4-door sedan, which also has an aerodynamic design -- the Volt has similar lines. I love my Civic, it's a great car (excellent room & visibility for its size), and it averaged 40 MPG at a constant 70-75 MPH on a 1700 mile round trip this summer with the A/C & radio on.

Bottom-line, I still see myself in a Volt in 2011, and I'm still willing to trade my Honda Civic in to get one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ok, this is tough. I hate analyzing the psychology behind purchases. I don't often buy things for status, but third-party acceptance is a factor whether I want to admit it or not. Even simple things like soap and clothes, we factor in how other people will react.

With the Volt, it's the underlying technology that makes it desirable for me (save gas, save money, save air, save the Republic), and it's the underlying technology that I think other people would think is "cool". Sure, I can picture myself driving the Volt home with 30 miles to spare on the batteries, and showing it off to people. But it's rarely the stunning looks that make up this fantasy. It's the silence of the ride. It's the performance. Proving my dad wrong when he says it's just a golf cart. Driving past the gas station (or maybe into it just to wash the windows) without filling up. Plugging it in to my kill-a-watt meter and showing off how cheap electricity is compared to gas. Driving it into a nice green park without the engine running. Taking it on a road trip and laughing at all the immobile EVs stranded on the side of the road.

Sure, I hope it looks nice- but it's not a major factor. I drive an 8 year old Ford Focus. The biggest styling improvement I did to it was add a bra to the front (now it just covers up the rust). :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't want to be rude, but this is yet another post/poll about the same thing... plenty of poll on the same topic with the same choice (or close to)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also voted other. It is a complicated decision. I hope that is the final outcome of this type of poll. Those who have reservations about the Volt's design can't be pigeon-holed into simply being juvenile or vain. I have two major reasons, among several other smaller ones:

1) As far as my desires, Sentinal had it about right for me. For ~$35K, the car has to charge me up a little as well. I have driven a 100 mile roundtrip to work for over 20 years now. I want that time to be enjoyable, not just comfortable and economical. I want a car that I enjoy walking up to, makes me smile, something I am happy to drive, not a car that is just another tool I use during the day. By the way I would prefer a convertible, but I have not gone to that extreme yet. A car is an emotional decision, and that emotion should not disappear after you've bought it or had it a few years. Also, I never buy based on resale, as I drive my cars into the ground. The question for me is, after having a car for 10-12 yrs and 200000+ miles, is it still fun to drive? My answer must be yes. If not, its the wrong car for me.

2) GM needed to change their corporate image. All I ever hear about those who disparage GM is that their car design is boring and plain. This Volt unfortunately appears to reinforce that image. With the whole world watching intently, GM missed a golden opportunity to reinvent itself in more ways than one. If this car gets weak reviews and is considered bland by the public, GM will be in danger of not surviving. They have set the bar too low. Others will quickly pass them over. GM better have a plan to counter the fact that this Volt's styling will be quickly outdated. This is a dull looking car for ~$35K. It won't be hard to eclipse.

Those who would not compromise on the 40 mpc range, either inside or outside of GM, are responsible for this Volt's styling. Not aerodynamics, not technology. These are mearly the means which GM had to use to satisfy the true culprit; the 40 mpc promise.

I'll stop now as this is already too long. I could go on for pages....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't want to be rude, but this is yet another post/poll about the same thing... plenty of poll on the same topic with the same choice (or close to)
I believe you are mistaken on this point. Correct me if I am wrong, but other polls ask IF you like the Volt style or not; this poll asks WHY you feel the way you do about the Volt's styling.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I want people to notice the car and ask about it. Not to "make a statement" in the "look at me" sense, but rather the "look at me and ask so I can spread the word" sense.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want people to notice the car and ask about it. Not to "make a statement" in the "look at me" sense, but rather the "look at me and ask so I can spread the word" sense.
I must admit that I hadn't considered prosyletizing as a reason for caring about the Volt's style. Interesting. This is good information.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Nice poll.

Choice A) I'm a very insecure person and want people to like me.

Choice B) I'm a total poser and have an inflated ego and want people to respect me.

Choice C) I'm delusional and spend a lot of time posing in front of a mirror everyday.

Choice D) I'm very rational, I make my purchases based on thoughtful analysis and social awareness.

Choice E) Why in the world would you ever care what your car looks like??

I care what my house looks like. I care what my furniture looks like. I care what my appliances look like. I care what the art on my walls look like. I care what my clothes look like. So why in the world would I not care what my next car, a consumer purchase that will cost more than just about anything else in my life will cost, look like?? $30-40K? Yeah, I want it to look good. I like beautiful things, and for that much money, I want the designers of this car to at least act like it matters. Otherwise, what's that Chinese car company called again?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I care what my house looks like. I care what my furniture looks like. I care what my appliances look like. I care what the art on my walls look like. I care what my clothes look like. So why in the world would I not care what my next car, a consumer purchase that will cost more than just about anything else in my life will cost, look like?? $30-40K? Yeah, I want it to look good. I like beautiful things, and for that much money, I want the designers of this car to at least act like it matters. Otherwise, what's that Chinese car company called again?
Do you choose your house, furniture, and appliances more on appearance, or other criteria such as utility, comfort, features, etc.? Do you select your house based on curb appeal, or the combination of number & size rooms, sensible layout, and convenient location? Would you choose the most stylish chair over one that is not as chic, but more comfortable? Would you choose the fanciest stove, or one that would be more practical for everyday use? Even clothing has some need for function - I'm sure you wouldn't choose a flashy jacket that won't keep you warm enough, or a classy sweater that was uncomfortable to wear or poorly made. Etc., Etc.

I submit that the ratio of functionality to appearance/style varies for each category of item. Clearly art will be largely subjective - functionality is irrelevant.

Your simplistic evaluation of the reasoning behind each answer has some element of truth, but kindly note that there is nothing wrong with any of the choices. Some people want to be noticed - that's a personal thing.

I am just fascinated by the concept that someone would eschew purchasing an eminently practical vehicle that can use little or no gasoline because it isn't stylish in that person's mind. I don't understand this, and I would like to understand the thought processes behind this position.

·
Administrator
20,347 Posts
The bulk of your survey is about what other people think.

I care about styling, but not as much about what other people think as you seem to. I do think the Volt's styling looks good. I also care about the ability to drive electric most or all the time with a backup fuel source just in case.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Holy 5 year old posts, Batman! :eek:

I like the styling of the Volt fine. Much better than any similarly priced EV (aside from maybe the Ford Fusion Energi).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts