·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I've been telling this to folk for years:

"The brands with the lowest rate of software complaints were General Motors' Chevrolet and GMC"

General Motors has the finest programmers out of all mfrs. It gives them a solid edge in emissions, mileage, and reliability.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I've been warning about OTA for years as well:

OTA and internet updating (OTW) is dangerous. See McAfee and Microsoft who are seasoned software companies and yet shut down their users regularly.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Maybe over the air updates allows a culture of "Well we can always go back and fix it" that contributes to this at Tesla. Then again maybe GM programmers and policies are just better.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm shocked and dismayed Zythryn hasn't rushed in to defend the mother ship yet. Two hours and counting since bro's original post. Maybe Zythryn does have a real job? I suggest an APB in Minnesota and its surrounding states to look for him.

·
Registered
200 Posts
OTA updates are great, if they are properly tested and vetted before they are pushed out to the production environment (aka, OTW). The company I work for pushes updates to our some 3,000 retail locations, several times per month. 99.98% of the time, these updates are a success, old bugs are fixed and no new ones are created.

That other 0.02% of the time, someone does not properly test their code in a non-production environment and sends it out which results in every store in the company losing the ability to accept credit cards during the highest sales volume weekend of our year.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Weren't Apple iPad PRO users "bricked" with the recent iOS update? Think of what would have happened is that were your car?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Weren't Apple iPad PRO users "bricked" with the recent iOS update? Think of what would have happened is that were your car?
They were kinda bricked... not completely ruined in the traditional sense of 'bricking', for the iPad Pro, this could easily be resolved by someone at their nearest Apple store, OR with Apple Phone Support walking you through the process at home with the owner's own PC to reinstall iOS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am surprised as I have had numerous problems with my 2013 Volt resulting in calls to OnStar for resets, an OTA update and at least 2 trips to the dealer for updates that required taking it in. I would never file a complaint because the Volt is still the best car I have ever owned (By Far). Most of the issues have been related to the center stack and did not affect vehicle operation.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'm shocked and dismayed Zythryn hasn't rushed in to defend the mother ship yet. Two hours and counting since bro's original post. Maybe Zythryn does have a real job? I suggest an APB in Minnesota and its surrounding states to look for him.
Not much to respond to.
The article has no links to the JD Powers study it says it is referencing.

While different severity of software issues are discussed, there is no information about how many of each category each manufacturer was responsible for.

Tesla may have the most entertainment software complaints, yet have the least "Software Recall" issues that affect safety.
Or, it may have the most safety issues and fewest entertainment issues.

As I recall, the entertainment system has been a bigger issue for Tesla. Combine that with how integrated software is with 100% of Tesla's lineup (2-3 models) and I am not surprised they have a high rate of issues.
Especially when compared to manufacturers that have a large percentage of their cars that have the bare minimum of software.

However, without additional information it is tough to say.

In any event, I suspect Tesla will fix any issues far faster then Jaquar will :)

·
Banned
301 Posts
I love how the GM fanboy justify the lack of OTA as a win over the Tesla. I mean going to the dealership to have them install the same software that could be downloaded straight to the car is much more convenient right? I find it a little disingenuous too when they compare a car that has millions of lines of code to run their entire car to one that can barely connect a bluetooth without problems. I mean Tesla does everything through the software making it more customizable than what GM has ever put out. Add that to the ability to use autopilot, autonomous parking, continuous map updates, internet from the viewing screen and you can see that there is a lot more complexity to what Tesla offers compared to what GM offers. This will sometime lead to software problems that the vast majority will never experience and to my knowledge has never "bricked" a car.

I mean when you are actually leading a way to the future you will run into problems as Tesla cars may execute millions of more computations than GM cars but then again if you are truly worried about your car being bricked by a software update I believe you could still find a used 1979 corolla somewhere that doesn't use any software for anything.

I guess when GM finally catches up and starts pushing the software updates directly to the car those on this thread saying it is a bad thing will turn it off and continue taking their cars to get updates that could just as easily "brick" their car to the dealerships.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I love how the GM fanboy justify the lack of OTA as a win over the Tesla. I mean going to the dealership to have them install the same software that could be downloaded straight to the car is much more convenient right? I find it a little disingenuous too when they compare a car that has millions of lines of code to run their entire car to one that can barely connect a bluetooth without problems. I mean Tesla does everything through the software making it more customizable than what GM has ever put out. Add that to the ability to use autopilot, autonomous parking, continuous map updates, internet from the viewing screen and you can see that there is a lot more complexity to what Tesla offers compared to what GM offers. This will sometime lead to software problems that the vast majority will never experience and to my knowledge has never "bricked" a car.

I mean when you are actually leading a way to the future you will run into problems as Tesla may execute millions more computations than GM but then again if you are truly worried about your car being bricked by a software update I believe you could still find a used 1979 corolla somewhere that doesn't use any software for anything.

I guess when GM finally catches up and starts pushing the software updates directly to the car those on this thread saying it is a bad thing will turn it off and continue taking their cars to get updates that could just as easily "brick" their car to the dealerships.
How's that Model S Apple CarPlay or Android Auto coming along?

How many levels of performance mapping for traction?

3D Stability Control? Flying Car logic (keeps the tires spinning at ground speed when airborne)?

Crash proof software? Limp Home mode? Run with a complete coolant failure? Calls for help if you are injured? HUD? Infrared night vision? Predictive headlight aiming?

Hell, CAN YOU TURN OFF THE BABYSITTERS EVEN? No.

Tesla is not running world class software. But they don't have to. They can fix it constantly instead of shipping it with tested code.

·
Banned
301 Posts
How's that Model S Apple CarPlay or Android Auto coming along?

How many levels of performance mapping for traction?

3D Stability Control? Flying Car logic (keeps the tires spinning at ground speed when airborne)?

Crash proof software? Limp Home mode? Run with a complete coolant failure? Calls for help if you are injured? HUD? Infrared night vision? Predictive headlight aiming?

Hell, CAN YOU TURN OFF THE BABYSITTERS EVEN? No.

Tesla is not running world class software. But they don't have to. They can fix it constantly instead of shipping it with tested code.
Apple car play and Android auto are not GM software and they have had a hell of a time getting it to work in their cars. I mean I see a thread on here every day about it so not one I would bring up when talking about software problems. Especially since Tesla software does so many of the functions that Apple and Android do and is perfectly integrated into the car.

I know they have at least 3 levels for different performance modes.

Stability control is something the Tesla has in spades. Flying car logic I don't know but I am sure it is a much more useful feature than the automatic opening and closing of the garage door by proximity to your home that Tesla actually has.

It has a ton of crash proof software and a limp home mode.

Coolant failure? how is that a software item?

It will most certainly calls for help if in an accident. It will even slow down the car and ask you to step out if it is having a critical failure like running over a trailer hitch.

HUD, Infrared night vision, Predictive headlight aiming. We were talking about software because last I checked those are all hardware.

As for the babysitter I assume you mean the Telematics but please tell me a car that you can or are you just so butt hurt that you will bring up anything?

Tesla is running software that is light years ahead of many things GM is just starting to work on. Tesla was the first to implement autopilot in a commercially available passenger car. There are probably more lines of code in that alone than all of what you mentioned above. This makes it a world class software as nobody has even come close to making software as good as Tesla.

Just look at some of the articles that shows how far ahead of everyone else that Tesla is when it come to autopilot, crash detection and avoidance:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/13/car-and-driver-tesla-model-s-is-clear-winner-in-ha.aspx

Here is MIT giving Tesla autopilot one of the top ten breakthroughs in technology:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/600772/10-breakthrough-technologies-2016-tesla-autopilot/

Below is more software tech that Tesla is using to advance the capabilities of the car:

The system Mobileye is developing for Tesla is the first of its kind in the world, and it combines several advanced technologies that enable the vehicle to identify its environment, avoid obstacles, and move without driver intervention.

Among the technologies are a system called DNN (digital neural network), which enables the vehicle to “learn” by gathering data on the move, and even to identify different kinds of road surface; free-space, which enables the automatic vehicle’s systems to identify areas without defined objects such as hard shoulders of roads, sidewalks, and so on, and avoid collisions and deviations from the road; a “holistic path prediction”, which enables a vehicle to select the correct path – on an open road, for example – even when there are no visual hints in the environment; and a sign identification system that can identify over 1,000 signs and road markings in use around the world.

Only a true bow tie butt head wouldn't acknowledge that Tesla is leading a charge in pushing the progress of advanced car software at a world class level.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Has anyone investigated the Driver Information Center to perhaps redo the cluster display? There is a lot of wasted real estate on that screen and the preset selections dont vary that much. Would love having tire pressure, speed limit, coolant temp, and trip ode all up at same time rather than scrolling when i may want to look.

It is suppose to be open source and is provided by Johnson Controls.. Been debating to take the plunge to tinker with it :)

The display seems pretty solid, just lack of options to rearrange is dishearting.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a software engineer Recoil makes my head hurt. His metrics for what make something advanced are skewed, user facing features really have little bearing on how many 'lines of code' or the overall software complexity of a product. Nobody in the industry has used 'lines of code' as a metric since IBM in the late 80's. I have a ton of respect for what Tesla has done and what they are doing. But when it came time to buy, while I could certainly afford a Tesla, I went with a Volt instead and I have no regrets. There are advantages and drawbacks to being on the cutting edge. I'm glad someone is there, the auto industry was largely stagnant for decades. But its not where I want to live with something so critical to both my routine and my safety.

And I say that, again, as someone who works as a software engineer for one of the big five tech companies.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Our 2011 Volt all of a sudden this week got a 'Service High Voltage Charging System' message so I had to rearrange schedules, give ride to wife to work, have my son pick up my wife after his classes ... so they could reprogram the 'Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM 2).

I checked the paper work and I see they didn't do any recall work ... which I know was necessary because I've gotten *several* post cards in the snail mail about it. I called and they said they overlooked it and want to know when I can bring the car back in! How convenient.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts