GM Volt Forum banner

Study: Buttons better than touchscreen?

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Steverino 
Twist knob for volume, so I can spin it to zero quickly without looking. The mute button on the steering wheel is also an acceptable answer to this task.

Twist knob for at least driver's temperature and fan is nearly a must have. Passenger or rear temp, put those where they can be reached by the people in those zones, and they can be touchscreen.

Physical buttons for front defrost, rear defrost, seat heater, steering wheel heat, and most importantly hazard flashers.

Tactile controls (knob, button, or stalk flip) for headlights, high beams, cruise control, and lane keep assist functions.

I am not in favor of government regs in general, but I would be perfectly fine if NHTSA made the above mandatory and standardized. These are safety critical items to be able to control quickly, without looking. I've been rental cars that took 5 minutes just to find where all those are, which is a problem.

I've been researching ID.4 as a possible next car for a family member, and the capacitive buttons on the steering wheel that can activate cruise control from a very light brushing of the hand is 99% a deal breaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.