GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, an 'attendant' got my Volt stuck in Service Mode. The car will not drive with it set. To make matters worse they tried releasing the parking brake - which actually set it. Then the car wouldn't move at all. Once the parking brake is set, there is no way to unset it in Service Mode. You have to be in normal mode so you can drive away.

They called me over, and I couldn't remember how to undo it either. If you have your foot on the brake pedal and press the Power button, it just re-initializes and stays in Service Mode. Finally one guy seemed to hit the magic incantation and then things were ok. I drove off - a little embarrassed that I didn't know this basic piece of information.

There is nothing in TFM about this.

Reviewing the forum, there are a number of Gen 1 threads on Service Mode. One is: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?97930-Learned-about-Service-Mode-the-hard-way-Any-other-Easter-eggs

Basically though, in the Gen 2, one places the car in Service Mode by NOT placing your foot on the brake pedal and pressing the Power button for about five seconds.

To get it out of Service mode, do NOT place your foot on the brake pedal. Then simply press the Power button as usual.

I'd recommend that all Volt owners try setting and clearing Service Mode just to see how it is done.

·
Administrator
20,213 Posts
I'd recommend that all Volt owners try setting and clearing Service Mode just to see how it is done.

Good advice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I certainly did not know that. That info should be in the manual.
Thank you VERY MUCH for that info.
Don't suppose it would be a good thing to do it at a dealers!
EDIT:
I tried it and it did not lock into Service mode or it was easy to start just by putting my foot on the brake and push the start button.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good advice.
Hi,

I have a 2018 model and I tried out Service Mode this morning. Per the manual, pressed start button, no brakes and vehicle appeared to enter service mode since all of the idiot lights illuminated. However, I was able to start and move the car? I shut the car off and then followed the instructions to exit service mode by pressing the start button again with no brakes on. Car appeared to function normally.

My car does not seem to be following the behavior that wws experienced or what's described in the owner's manual. Am I doing something wrong?

Anybody with an '18 try service mode?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^ @ nrvous: It does not sound like you were in service mode. It sounds like the car turned on into the normal driving mode. In service mode you would not be able to drive. You also didn't report having to hold the power button for 5 seconds to activate the mode.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
In Gen 1 it is easy to get out of service mode. I think any press of the power button, with or without the brake pressed, will exit service mode. I can't imagine why it would be helpful to make it hard to exit service mode.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I have a 2018 model and I tried out Service Mode this morning. Per the manual, pressed start button, no brakes and vehicle appeared to enter service mode since all of the idiot lights illuminated. However, I was able to start and move the car? I shut the car off and then followed the instructions to exit service mode by pressing the start button again with no brakes on. Car appeared to function normally.

My car does not seem to be following the behavior that wws experienced or what's described in the owner's manual. Am I doing something wrong?

Anybody with an '18 try service mode?
Maybe they fixed the problem in post '16 cars? Seems like an easy fix to allow you to have your foot on the brake pedal...

·
Registered
217 Posts
^ @ nrvous: It does not sound like you were in service mode. It sounds like the car turned on into the normal driving mode. In service mode you would not be able to drive. You also didn't report having to hold the power button for 5 seconds to activate the mode.
I tried it again and kept the button down for a few seconds past when all the idiot lights came on. Then it went into service mode. The first time I did it I held it for what I thought was five seconds but it must not have been long enough. Thank you!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for posting this. If I had accidentally put the car into service mode before reading this I would not have had a clue on how to deal with it. This alone makes all the hours that I have spent reading all the posts on this site worthwhile.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No problem and glad to help!
Thanks for posting this. If I had accidentally put the car into service mode before reading this I would not have had a clue on how to deal with it. This alone makes all the hours that I have spent reading all the posts on this site worthwhile.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok, so it seems for gen2 - its figured out, but where is this procedure listed? I don't see it in the owners manual....

it should be given to us somewhere...

-J

·
Registered
245 Posts
What the heck is "service mode" and why would it need to be on? Is it because of the voltage when Tech's are working on the car?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Exactly as stated; service mode or maintenance mode can be activated by the service technician when performing vehicle diagnostics. When the Volt is started in this mode the accessory power module does not provide power for the Volt's 12V systems, only the 12V battery provide power for the computers and other 12V systems. If the Volt is left in this mode for more than a short time the 12V battery will discharge to where you won't be able to start the Volt. You won't find instructions for accessing service mode in the Volt Owner's Manual because it is not intended for use by vehicle owners. If you engage service mode then you can disengage this mode by applying the same action - pressing and holding the start button for N (need further reference) seconds while the brake pedal is depressed. Normally you only need to briefly press the Start button for 1 second to start the Volt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts