GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had car detailed now it wont go to battery or charge

The detailer just left and my car is now in gas mode even with an almost- full charge. It is not in Mountain Mode and it is set on "immediate charging". Any ideas what the detailer might have tripped while cleaning the car? Thank you for any thoughts on this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just had my car detailed and when I moved my car back into the garage, it was in gas mode and would not go to electric even though I have a full charge. It will not charge either - the yellow light comes on but not the beep and the green. I get a message on the dashboard saying it cannot charge.

The car is in Normal mode (in fact "Mountain" is in grey type and Sport and Normal are in white and it toggles between those two and not Mountain, so it seems Mountain is not an option at this time, for some reason).

The car is in "Immediate Charging" mode too.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening? Perhaps the detailer hit something on the console when he was cleaning?

Thank you,

Alexandra ps I have had my car since Dec 2010 and have had NO problems at all.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Is the hood not fully latched?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Check and make sure that the hood is closed and that the hood latch is not "stuck". Alternatively.....could he have double pressed the start button and perhaps put the car in some sort of forced engine service mode??? Those are some of my guesses.....otherwise...not really sure what could have been pressed/triggered.....

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sounds like some kind of maintenance mode such as burning off stale fuel or EMM. Are there any notifications showing on the drivers screen or percentage complete etc?

The detailer may have turned the car on and approved to run a maintenance mode.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Ask OnStar if they see any codes, post them here.

P.S. Merged two threads. Please don't post the same issue in multiple forums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drove it around, gas stayed on... I noticed 2 things: Mountain Mode will not engage, it just doesnt give you the option; a "low propulsion" message comes up on the dashboard.

There are no other notifications.
The battery is full but will not charge.
I suspect it might be what was mentioned by Prohidium and Voltage Drop - that some kind of maintenance mode has been engaged and we do not know how to turn it off.
I will call the dealership tomorrow and maybe they will tell me what buttons to push...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I drove it around, gas stayed on... I noticed 2 things: Mountain Mode will not engage, it just doesnt give you the option; a "low propulsion" message comes up on the dashboard.
If you’ve been driving since 2010, you’ve been driving a 2011 Volt. Others suggest checking the hood latch because if it’s open, the ICE will run and you can’t use battery power. However, if your 2011 is similar to my 2012, here’s what I just checked out, which I hope will indicate your problem is not an open hood:

If my 2012 Volt is parked and running on battery power, when I press the hood latch to unlock the hood, the display icon immediately switches from the battery icon to the gas pump icon. Is the gas icon highlighted on your car’s display? I would think so.

My driver’s display then posts a warning picture of a red hood area, indicating that part of the car is not properly closed (and I think a warning bell rings). Does your driver’s display have any pictures showing the hood area is not properly latched?

Pressing my 2012 Volt’s Mode button with the hood unlatched brings up my normal three choices: Normal, Sport, and Mountain Mode. All three remain available, even when the hood is unlatched with the car in Park (didn’t try to shift to D or R). If your Mountain Mode is greyed out, it seems to be saying the battery is not accessible (i.e., the ICE for one reason or another cannot reserve extra power for use in case of need).

While my hood is unlatched, if I turn off the car, I can plug into the wall and my Volt will start to recharge, complete with green light and ding ding, i.e., I can recharge my car even when the hood is unlatched.

Is your ICE running while parked? Opening the hood will force the ICE to run (safety precaution and as a method of letting service people work on a running ICE). Normally when in Range Extending mode and parked, there is very little need to generate power, so the ICE stops. An open hood keeps it running.

If you start your car and have it immediately go into depleted battery mode (i.e., the gas pump and not the battery icon is the active icon on the driver’s display), does the ICE continue to run as you sit parked in your driveway? Or does it operate as it normally would in that mode, and soon stops running if you’re not moving? Somehow it appears you’ve lost access to your battery and are running on ICE-generated electricity only.

What seemed puzzling is that you originally didn’t report the car going into Reduced Propulsion Mode as you drove (a normal precaution taken by the car when it cannot incorporate the main battery into the operating procedures, even as a buffer), but now I see you are experiencing it... another hint that use of the battery has been lost.

Another thought that comes to mind is a faint recollection of reading some time ago about a switch within a Volt (or other electric car) that can be accessed by response personnel to "switch off," or isolate power from the main battery during emergencies (e.g., highway crashes). Perhaps your car detail people somehow accessed this switch, if there is such a one. I was unsuccessful searching this forum for such a reference, but I did read comments regarding loss of battery because of a blown fuse in the HV circuits. Perhaps this is a possible source of your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, this is very helpful. Sounds like my hood is closed properly, since my car is acting differently than if the hood were open (I have no Mountain Mode, I have low Propulsion, the car does NOT shut the gas off when parked, I cannot charge).

I will ask about the switch that will turn off the main battery. I appreciate you trying to find more information on this issue, and for experimenting with your car to give me information on mine!

I will report back when I find an answer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks to all who posted! I am adding a backup camera to my wife's car, and the backup light went out in the process. While looking for fuses, I lifted the hood. Wife is due back from a trip tonight, and the car has reverted to a gasser. Ugh!

Hood wasn't latched.

Now it is electric again. Still no backup light or camera...

...(days later):

I fixed the backup light & camera. It was the 7.5 amp fuse:

http://gm.oemdtc.com/1505/reversedome-lamps-and-back-up-camera-inoperative-7fdr-fuse-open-2011-2015-chevrolet-volt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts