GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my car into the dealership yesterday to have my lift gate support struts replaced as directed by the recent recall notice. The dealer finished the work in under 30 minutes. The service invoice says they replaced 23282828 and 23282827. (.2 hours of labor.) There was no charge.

The struts look exactly the same to me. I am wondering if there is any way to tell if they actually performed the work or not? How do you tell the difference?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I could tell the difference because my hatch now opens fully in cold weather without me having to push it. In SoCal, not sure you would notice that ;D

·
Registered
184 Posts
The new strut rods are noticeably more substantial, especially at the ball socket ends. Detachment will not be a problem with the new ones.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The new ones should be clean and free of road grime. My old ones were obviously dusty. Now a couple weeks later and I can't tell by glancing at them. Also, my struts work in the cold now, had the lift gate come down on my head a couple times. I think this is mostly a cold weather issue.

My new left strut (Driver's side) has the number you mention: 23282827, didn't check the other. The number is on the inside and a bit hard to see.

Eric

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm bringing mine in tomorrow and am going to try for the camera upgrade as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm bringing mine in tomorrow and am going to try for the camera upgrade as well.
What camera upgrade? I have a '13 as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you're in the camera, don't bother with them offering to do a software upgrade. I wasted a trip to do the camera (gave them the new part numbers) - but got the useless software adjustment - and then had to return to actually have the camera replaced. They were all concerned that I wasn't absolutely satisified with the first trip in, because, honestly, I wasn't. The "adjustment" did nothing to address the problem. The different camera really made a difference. It still isn't great (I installed an $80 wireless camera in my father's old Lucerne and it is about 95% as good as the improved camera in the Volt).

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does anyone know if there are symptoms other than getting conked in the head? I received a second letter from Chevrolet yesterday containing an even more dire warning than the first - indicating that body damage could result from a strut coming adrift while the hatch was closed. Anyhow, the last few days there has been a "popping" noise from the hatch on the passenger side that now has me very nervous. Nervous enough to make an appointment for this weekend rather than letting it go until we next have it in for regular maintenance.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Does anyone know if there are symptoms other than getting conked in the head? I received a second letter from Chevrolet yesterday containing an even more dire warning than the first - indicating that body damage could result in a strut coming adrift while the hatch was closed. Anyhow, the last few days there has been a "popping" noise from the hatch on the passenger side that now has me very nervous. Nervous enough to make an appointment for this weekend rather than letting it go until we next have it in for regular maintenance.
I did also... I am assuming that the letter was using data that was old and did not realize that I had them changed about 2 weeks before that.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Timely post, wife just took our 2013 Volt in for the recall. I'll take a peak when I get home, but the tech mentioned the steering "felt a bit notchy". I've been feeling some notchiness in the steering especially at free-way speeds so I wonder if my steering is starting to fail?

They want us to bring it in for a going over. So I need to find time in our schedule to book another visit. Just glad they are pro-active.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if a camera can be retrofitted to a 2014 Volt? I didn't get it in my in-stock vehicle, and I messed up!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Timely post, wife just took our 2013 Volt in for the recall. I'll take a peak when I get home, but the tech mentioned the steering "felt a bit notchy". I've been feeling some notchiness in the steering especially at free-way speeds so I wonder if my steering is starting to fail?

They want us to bring it in for a going over. So I need to find time in our schedule to book another visit. Just glad they are pro-active.
This has already been addressed with a service bulletin: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ering-system-quot-.&highlight=steering+recall

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I received the second letter today too, along with a reimbursement form if I have had the struts replaced. I had the recall performed a couple of weeks ago. As much as I remember the old struts the new ones look more substantial, yet the hatch feels about the same when opening/closing.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new strut rods are noticeably more substantial, especially at the ball socket ends. Detachment will not be a problem with the new ones.
Mine look exactly the same to me. The ball sockets look identical. The hatch lifts the same as before. Since my 2014 Volt is almost new there was no road grime on the old struts. I can't see or feel any difference.

Still wondering if they actually did anything.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts