GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 51k miles.

Still have original tires... almost ready to get new ones...

But i have been noticing more harsh bumps, I know tires absorb some of it, and i have low tread, but i am wondering can it be the struts/shocks too.

There is a rebate on Monroe shocks/struts. but I am curious how long your suspension lasted????

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 106,000 miles in my 2013 Volt and wondering too if my shocks are worn out. I will have the mechanic check the next time I have a tire rotation done. Or could just do the bumper bob test. (Push down hard on the bumper - front or rear - and see if it bobs up and down several times before coming to rest).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So far, the life of the car - 6 years & 8 months. I remember when I worked for GM, the shock manufacturer made their replacement shocks stiffer than OE because all the returned OE shocks were unchanged form original specs. So that customers would see a change they made the replacements stiffer. The suspension bushings etc. would get a little softer however. So if you want to rebuild your suspension with new bushings it would be a waste to replace anything.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Stiff ride might be caused by too high pressure in the tires.

Bad shocks/dampers cause bouncy rebound on bumps. You hit a dip and the car will bounce a little up and down after. The oscillations aren't dampened well. The car might also handle badly and dip/dive on braking and acceleration. A way to check these is here, just be sure not to push on hood of Volt, it is aluminum and will dent easily.
https://youtu.be/J5Q_Sve9toM (Autozone strut check demoing bounce test).

Strut life varies greatly, age will get the seals and hitting a large pothole can blow them instantly. Washboard dirt roads are always bad on them. I am wondering if mine aren't getting weak as the car is seeming a bit bouncy, but mine are only 6 years old and 45k miles. Usually they last more like 15 years. The cars I have replaced them on are generally much higher mileage, like 15 years 150k miles.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would suggest adjusting your tire pressure first to see if that makes a difference. I have a 2013 (build date Oct 2012) with 53k miles on it (original shocks/struts), and I can tell a difference between my tires being at 43psi versus the factory recommended 38psi. 38psi is much more comfortable and the car seems to absorb bumps very well, but at 43psi, I could feel everything and the ride was more harsh. I settled on 40psi. I know many ride much higher numbers, but to me, I'm not going to sacrifice ride comfort for a few extra EV miles. At 40psi, the display reads between 40-42 EV estimated miles and I usually get 39-41 before gas kicks in. I'm satisfied with that performance.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I would suggest adjusting your tire pressure first to see if that makes a difference. I have a 2013 (build date Oct 2012) with 53k miles on it (original shocks/struts), and I can tell a difference between my tires being at 43psi versus the factory recommended 38psi. 38psi is much more comfortable and the car seems to absorb bumps very well, but at 43psi, I could feel everything and the ride was more harsh. I settled on 40psi. I know many ride much higher numbers, but to me, I'm not going to sacrifice ride comfort for a few extra EV miles. At 40psi, the display reads between 40-42 EV estimated miles and I usually get 39-41 before gas kicks in. I'm satisfied with that performance.
The higher PSI was not just for extra miles. GEN 1 OE tires wore unevenly (especially around edges) and the sidewalls ruptured easily at 38PSI

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have about 51k miles.

Still have original tires... almost ready to get new ones...

But i have been noticing more harsh bumps, I know tires absorb some of it, and i have low tread, but i am wondering can it be the struts/shocks too.

There is a rebate on Monroe shocks/struts. but I am curious how long your suspension lasted????
It's your old tires. They are a designed part in the suspension system. Replace them and operate them at the suggested psi.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm at 4 years and 60k miles and so far my shocks, struts, suspension are great.
Then again I live in a very mild area of Virginia with astonishingly well maintained roads.
If I were up in the Rural NY area I grew up in I'm sure I'd have replaced suspension components by now (ugh).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts