GM Volt Forum banner

Strange squeal noise in dash at start up or when car is cold.

Tags
squeal
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Steverino 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I recently traded my 2013 Volt for a new 2018 Volt Premier. Overall I'm very happy with the new car, but I've noticed a strange noise when I first start the car. It it a quick squeal that appears to come from the driver's side of the dashboard. It sounds a bit like something trying to rotate, but not properly lubricated. It doesn't happen all the time. If I drive even a short distance stop the car for an errand and startup again, it usually doesn't happen. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because it's hard to demonstrate unless the car is cold. I live in Florida so don't experience much cold weather. But recently, it's been in the 50's and I've noticed the sound even while driving.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be making the sound? If I can get some idea of what may be wrong, I'll get it to the dealer for analysis. I'm also considering recording the sound so that the service guys can get some idea of the fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.