GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I've been researching here for several hours and cannot see any similar posts to t he problem I'm having.

Firstly, the car is a 2013 Volt, 160k miles.

As for service history, the only problems to this point was a failed/replaced AGM battery in 2020 and an update done to the cooling system.

About 1 month ago, my wife was in VT and the car began displaying signs of a failing 12v battery again (not starting ICE, key fobs not opening doors, radio stalk frozen etc...) so I advised her to have the 12v battery tested. It tested good, but I had it replaced it anyway as she was so far from home. Replacing the AGM battery fixed all of the problems she was having at that time. I kept the other AGM battery for a spare, as we've had this problem in the past. Fast forward to last week. The car immediately displayed "propulsion power reduced" after starting the car in the garage and displayed only 24 miles of range, yet claimed a full charge. The message disappeared on its own after a bit of driving, and a quick scan returned no DTC's. The car regularly reported between 32 and 37 miles range to that point.

Every day the car has been driven since that moment, the mileage estimate has been decreasing by 1 mile. Today I started the car and it is displaying 20 miles on a full charge. Again, no DTC's are present.

I feel as though the drive battery may have a problem, but the lack of capacitance hasn't hit the point where it'll trip a DTC.

Any insight as to what I should look for?

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
That's.... an odd time to get a PPR message. So I'm a little groping in the dark right now. How often is this car driven to the point that it switches to the generator? Just the Vermont trip? or also like... the trip before the PPR was driving home past the normal range of the battery? (I've hypothesized before that keeping the charge up in weakening batteries and that making sure that the car is shut off near the top of it's little Charge Sustain buffer helps prevent PPR events when the car is turned back on. So I'm trying to feel out where it might have been and whether the PPR might have been announced due to conditions that applied at shutdown instead of the ones that existed after being charged.)

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,179 Posts
Since it looks like you have an OBDII reader, I'd pick up the MyGreenVolt app, and check the battery cells at the fully charged and discharged states. Preferably, post them here. The gas engine not starting could be related to the high voltage battery, as that's what starts the engine. The propulsion power reduced is related to the HV battery charge state. The key fob issue may or may not have been the 12v. It's a odd mix of errors. Be aware that not all OBDII readers will be able to recognize all the error codes. Cheap readers may only see a limited scope. No idea if that's a factor here. Try the app first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I did a test today.

Fully charged, the estimate given was 23 miles.

Connected to mygreenvolt app. All battery info looks good when compared to what others have posted here.

Went for a drive while monitoring in mixed conditions. City/highway all of it. The total used energy was 9.9kWh and the distance travelled on electricity was 39 miles. It appears the distance estimate calculation is off for some reason.

Is there a way to force a reset here?

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,135 Posts
Ok, I did a test today.

Fully charged, the estimate given was 23 miles.

Connected to mygreenvolt app. All battery info looks good when compared to what others have posted here.

Went for a drive while monitoring in mixed conditions. City/highway all of it. The total used energy was 9.9kWh and the distance travelled on electricity was 39 miles. It appears the distance estimate calculation is off for some reason.

Is there a way to force a reset here?
There is no need for any reset. Your Volt seems to be working as designed. If you keep driving 39 miles, then the estimate will eventually show 39 miles. The estimate is based on recent driving history.

Reactions: RCB268

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
For clarity, the guess-o-meter does get a little pessimistic about its estimates if the car is not driven occasionally out to its full range and battery cutover to generator. It can't tell you how far it can go unless it SEES how far it can go once in a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts