GM Volt Forum banner

Strange Instrument Cluster Issue

8K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  c0mmutr 
#1 · (Edited)
Every once in a while, when I start my 2012 Volt, the instrument cluster gets stuck into a mode where it's showing the small icon, rather than the large animated icon, of whatever mode its in (electric or gas). The car seems to drive fine, but it's still concerning. I've attached a photo.

Technology Electronics Auto part Electronic device Font

I took it into the dealer and their service department was stumped, as was GM, apparently. The Volt tech said that this is similar to what they see when the car is in service mode. They did a software update and did some sort of reset hoping that would fix the problem.

It happened again and my Volt is back in the shop today.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this and if there is anything their dealer has done that seemed to fix the problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
Every once in a while, when I start my 2012 Volt, the instrument cluster gets stuck into a mode where it's showing the small icon, rather than the large animated icon, of whatever mode its in (electric or gas). The car seems to drive fine, but it's still concerning. I've attached a photo.
That's user selectable screen option using the configuration knob on the left dash

#6 · (Edited)
Read your manual, it explains where and how
That is incorrect, Henry_FL.

The config option lets you choose whether or not the efficiency ball is shown, or a small icon of the gas or battery. It does not give you the option to have both the gas icon and battery icon appear small and gray, which is what the picture is showing from the OP. (The picture wasn't originally on the post, so perhaps you were picturing the "normal" icon behavior that is selectable.)

To the OP, this behavior has been seen before by others though, and seems to be some kind of a software bug. It doesn't cause any adverse effects. I think that it was resolved in future model years, as I believe the 2012 is the only real manifestor of this behavior. ;)

#3 ·
That's good to know. I've never intentionally tried to change the cluster display. I've had the Volt for about two years and it just started doing this about 2 or months ago, whenever I turn the vehicle on.

From what I can tell, this isn't something that you might accidentally do. Or is it? It has happened about five times in the past couple months.

#5 ·
Thanks. I just did and it doesn't look like this is something that you might accidentally do by brushing up against it with your coat or something. Plus, when I took it in previously the service department never suggested that might be the problem. So, I'm going to assume that this is still an issue with my Volt.

Has anyone else seen this? Thanks again.

#7 ·
OK, I see, I went out to the 2012, that screen comes up every time you push and hold the start button without pressing the brake ( service mode ). If on the OP, he can drive that car with that screen it is a bug. The config button does change the layout, but not as shown in the picture

#8 ·
Originally Posted by c0mmutrEvery once in a while, when I start my 2012 Volt, the instrument cluster gets stuck into a mode where it's showing the small icon, rather than the large animated icon, of whatever mode its in (electric or gas). The car seems to drive fine, but it's still concerning. I've attached a photo.

I took it into the dealer and their service department was stumped, as was GM, apparently. The Volt tech said that this is similar to what they see when the car is in service mode. They did a software update and did some sort of reset hoping that would fix the problem.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this and if there is anything their dealer has done that seemed to fix the problem?

Hello c0mmutr,

I can see how concerning this repeating glitch might be. I'm glad to hear you've been in contact with your dealership. Have you been in contact with your Volt Advisor yet? They are able to ensure all the proper parties are involved to diagnose and repair the vehicle. Just shoot me a PM if you have not contacted them. I bring them up to speed and in the loop!

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#12 ·
I can see how concerning this repeating glitch might be. I'm glad to hear you've been in contact with your dealership. Have you been in contact with your Volt Advisor yet? They are able to ensure all the proper parties are involved to diagnose and repair the vehicle. Just shoot me a PM if you have not contacted them. I bring them up to speed and in the loop!
I'll follow up with you via email, Katie. Thanks.

#13 ·
That's interesting that it is the service mode in the 2012. Does it do that on your 2013 too Henry? I don't recall seeing both icons small in my 2013 when entering service mode.

I do know others with 2012's have reported this "glitch" when running the car, and they're able to drive it successfully. I wonder if it's been related to the service mode all along, hmm.

#15 ·

View attachment 65290

Yes, I see this on my 2012 occasionally - both battery and fuel gauge will be the small greyed out version. Neither will update, but the car drives normally.
Powering off and back on fixes it.
It seems to happen if you shift out of park _immediately_ after powering on, before the displays have finished coming up - ie when you're in a hurry.

#16 ·
Originally Posted by c0mmutr[quote name="Chevrolet Customer Svc" post=2017826]I can see how concerning this repeating glitch might be. I'm glad to hear you've been in contact with your dealership. Have you been in contact with your Volt Advisor yet? They are able to ensure all the proper parties are involved to diagnose and repair the vehicle. Just shoot me a PM if you have not contacted them. I bring them up to speed and in the loop!
I'll follow up with you via email, Katie. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Great, c0mmutr! I'll respond soon :)

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.