GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the other 2016-2017 Volt owners on here--does your horn sound a little weird? Mine sounds kind of like it's vibrating... I'm not really sure how else to describe it, but I've never heard another car horn that sounds like that. Is that normal on the new Volt?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I don't have a Volt but the electric horn does vibrate, as it converts electric energy to mechanical energy (vibration) then that becomes acoustic energy and sound. But if you fell the vibration in the Volt body, then the horn may have a loose mounting. Have your dealer (or DIY) check that the horn's mounting bolts are tight. And never try to test the horn while you or someone is near it! The loud sound can harm your ears.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are you referring to the audible pedestrian horn that emits a noise from 1 until about 25 mph?
It is generated noise so people will be alerted to your presence

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've heard multiple people on here saying that their gen 2 horn sounded funny. The horn on mine sounds exactly like every other car I've ever owned. It sounds like some people got funky horns somehow.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Are you referring to the audible pedestrian horn that emits a noise from 1 until about 25 mph?
It is generated noise so people will be alerted to your presence
Nope. There is no pedestrian horn in the Gen 2 Volt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've heard multiple people on here saying that their gen 2 horn sounded funny. The horn on mine sounds exactly like every other car I've ever owned. It sounds like some people got funky horns somehow.
Yeah. My horn sounds pretty good. Dual tone, a little higher pitched than some, but much better than some of those single note "meeeep!" Toyota horns. Those sound so lifeless and embarrassing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wally volt, there is a pedestrian horn in the gen 2 volt, but it is in the form of generated noise.
There is a speaker mounted behind the grill and from 1 until 24mph it generates white noise to alert pedestrians to your presence
You can't control it, it is automatic
The gen 1 had an actual horn that when you pushed the button, it beeped twice at low volume.
The only way you can control the horn on the gen 2 is by pulling the fuse.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wally volt, there is a pedestrian horn in the gen 2 volt, but it is in the form of generated noise.
There is a speaker mounted behind the grill and from 1 until 24mph it generates white noise to alert pedestrians to your presence
You can't control it, it is automatic
The gen 1 had an actual horn that when you pushed the button, it beeped twice at low volume.
The only way you can control the horn on the gen 2 is by pulling the fuse.
Ah, I see what you're saying now. Sorry. I was thinking about the "actual horn" for pedestrians. Not the noise generator. Sorry!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was driving in to work today and a tractor trailer was coming into my lane, so I gave the horn a blast and it made a funny sound like a goose going through puberty. I kept messing with it and it keeps making the same sound. Here's a video:

I guess if it persists, I'll go to the dealer. I've heard several people report their horns sounding off, so I was wondering if this is what they meant.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would describe the sound as hair lipped... I brought mine in for it and they already knew the answer: a wiring harness problem that apparently afflicts some of them. They repaired it and it has been fine since.

For the other 2016-2017 Volt owners on here--does your horn sound a little weird? Mine sounds kind of like it's vibrating... I'm not really sure how else to describe it, but I've never heard another car horn that sounds like that. Is that normal on the new Volt?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts