GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

I am new here. I used to be a petrolhead, but my girlfriend has a Volt 2012 and after trying it once in a while during the last few months, I started to appreciate it a lot. For the economy it can achieve and also for its overall surprising driving dynamics. Living in Canada, battery is an issue during winter time, but overall, I enjoy the car and was quite sad to learn GM has cancelled it.

So, my little problem now. I started to notice a leak, multiple strange green/yellowish spots under the car. Obviously at first I thought it was antifreeze, but since it's orange on the Volt... The spots pretty obvious when there's snow since the car sits low. I was wondering if someone had any idea... so far, I was thinking it could be : 1) transmission fluid (read it was green) or 2) oil from the AC or its compressor (also read it was green). Spots are always at the same place. Oil from AC doesn't worry much, but if it was the transmission, or something, think I would investigate the issue right. I work on old bimmers from the "80 as a hobby, but I am pretty clueless on newer cars, and on electric car.

Cheers, Dol

Pictures below ("avant" is front and "arriere" is back of the car).
IMG_9093.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
4,821 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you kindly for your replies. I will go check the brake fluid level and report. Also, there's no snow at all today, so I should be able to see if there's spots directly on the ground. Or if there's nothing, in which case, that could confirm the hypothesis of Jcanoe. Really hope it's only the zinc crystals forming due to our winter conditions. But ya, my dripping looks like it's following a clear line from the from the front to back of the car. Sadly, no garage or clean and flat outdoor area to lift the car and inspect underneath. Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hum, brake fluid level is good, tank is almost full. I would have expected it to be at a lower level if it was related to the problem, looks good for the zinc crystals hypothesis. Just need some snow now to confirm it. Sadly it's warm and dry today. Cheers,

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
GM uses a green antifreeze as the cabin air conditioner coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts