GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried both my level 1 and level 2 chargers, also a level2 somewhere else. They all fail after a while so do not think it is the charger.

The car seems to stop the charging process when it get above 70% according to the app. But do not get a text, email or message on the dash.

I get the P1E000 code when I call onstar. The system malfunction light will go out after driving and a couple starts. But it happens again.

I checked the coolant level and it is fine just in case.

79,456 miles, so hope it will be covered under warranty. Have an appointment for monday.

Roy Volt #1019 2011 79,456 miles

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you say 70%, you mean 70% on the in car battery meter?

Otherwise yes, the car is supposed to stop at ~70 percent. That's what prevents battery degradation.

On a complete charge, how much energy are you using before the gas engine kicks in? It should be just above 10 kwh.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jefferios, Yes sorry that not clear.

72% on the myChevrolet app Vehicle Status screen. Up till now it would fill enough to turn all green bars on the on screen gauge green and show charge completed when I get in. Now I get the message on the dash says plug in to charge.
The green guage on screen shows all but the top two cells green / they are still dark.

Also I do not get he usual charge completed text from onstar but they do have trouble some times...

I checked the pins on the charger plug and holes in the port and all seems clean / no dirt or corrosion. Wiped anyway.

Turn car on and off, plug in again and it starts to charge but stops after a couple minute.with a click sound and the green indicator on the top of the dash goes dark.

Roy Volt #1019

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
When it's completed it's second charge for a few minutes does the "Plug in to Charge" message still appear? It seems to me like something in the calibration software is awry or perhaps one of the cell packs isn't recognizing the charge. Might be a trip to the dealership to investigate. Hopefully you haven't exhausted the battery warranty due to time if it does turn out to be a battery issue.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I would at least double plug it and see what happens.
This will over-ride any time of day settings.

Do a pre-condition while plugged in and see if charging restarts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freshcut, "When it's completed it's second charge for a few minutes does the "Plug in to Charge" message still appear?"

Yes, I switched to the level one charger last night and it started charging and went to bed. This morning The green indicator on the dash is still solid green. The dash says plug in to charge. The app shows it addded 5% before stopping now 77% = two blank bars on the dash guage.

Thought the battery warranty is 100,000 miles and 8 years so I should be OK for warranty till Feb 2019...

Have an appointment at the dealer for Monday.

Roy Volt #1019

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Hopefully the dealer can pull more codes. They usually need a good code to start troubleshooting. They will probably tell you that you are on the hook for diagnostic shop time in case they don't discover a problem that is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gladly pay the diagnostic shop time if I have to. This has been an amazing car for 7 years and 70,00 miles.

Always thought some day I would have to replace the battery since I plan on keeping the car for as long as I can (over 300,000 mile only last vehicle (Isuzu Trooper). Laptop batterys don't last this long.....

But do hope it is something covered at this point.

Truly a wonderful car for me, Roy

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Maybe you will need a fully battery replacement, it will be covered, and the new battery will cover you for the rest of your ownership. Wouldn't that be nice?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barry,

Great though :)

Anyway, just got the usual text message from the car. "Your 2011 Volt has completed charging'. Guess the third time was the charm this time but this has been happening for a few days.

Most likely will find out find out what is up monday, Roy

Thanks guys this list is a great resource.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Just to rule out any problem with the house wiring, I would try charging the car at another site using the supplied EVSE.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Just to rule out any problem with the house wiring, I would try charging the car at another site using the supplied EVSE.
In the first post it states the owner tried to charge using their Level 1 and Level 2 EVSE plus a Level 2 EVSE at another location. It is safe to say it is not the house wiring or the EVSEs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thursday afternoon. had to move the car and just got the "propulsion Power Reduced" message and the engine started up immediately after turning the car on. The battery is full or almost right now after charging at a level 2 station where I was parked.so low battery not the problem.

So I thought maybe the coolant sensor? Even tried adding more fluid but was only 3/4 inch down anyway just in case. But maybe it has gone bad...

Do have to use the car tomorrow but figure no problem since it might just use gas for the trip. And the way it has been acting may be fine in the morning :)

Buy still Love her!

Monday should be interesting at the Dealer.

Roy Volt #1019

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
If it was the coolent sensor you will NOT be able to charge at all and you get a few more error codes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before calling it a night I checked the myVolt page
it shows the battery at 99% full but no electric mile available.

Went out to see what the car says, gauge show full battery but when starting still get the "propulsion Power Reduced" message and the engine started up immediately.

Was hope something as easy as the sensor but that is the way it goes.

See how the drive goes tomorrow, Roy Volt #1019

myvolt.jpg

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was actually going to suggest that the 12V battery may be the case when I saw mention of the RPP message. Generally speaking if it's over 3-5 years old and unusual behavior starts to occur, the 12V is a pretty good bet and likely cheaper than a diagnostic charge at the dealership. On a side note, I've noticed that the myvolt/mychevrolet page is giving me incomplete data so I wouldn't necessarily use that to verify the charge level. I usually keep a bluetooth OBD dongle attached on my car and when I want to verify the SOC I just pull up the appropriate app.

Perhaps take the 12V battery and have it tested, or just replace and consider it preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a Volt 2012 Owner. I wish I knew as much as all of you on here. WOW I had no idea there is an app to check all this stuff. My batteries are not charging either. How do I check this?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced the battery Sept of 2017 when I took her in for the 75,000 mile service. There was no issue with the battery, still fine but it was getting 6 years old and I had read here on the forum that if let go too long could cause problems. Figured better to just change while I was in for a check up and general service to avoid a problem in the future. Six year was a goo run.

I love this car so much I am trying to take the best care of her I can. For once in my life I have enough resources to keep a car up instead of fixing them when the break down...

Some better news. Even tho the dash message still shows "plug in to charge" message whne entering, The engine did not start and no "propulsion power reduced" message when I started the car. So the drive I have to take should go well.

Monday should be interesting, Roy Volt #1019

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Good luck with your appt, but my last addition would be to take a look at your new battery and put a voltmeter on it, or take it to any autoparts store for a load test.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts