GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way to stop charging at selectable percentage ? we live on a hill so no point to full charge

Thanks

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You can use the charge schedule settings and set your departure time for a time that is later than your actual planned departure time. This way you would be unplugging before the charge has completed.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You can use the charge schedule settings and set your departure time for a time that is later than your actual planned departure time. This way you would be unplugging before the charge has completed.
I had a complex answer... and then Barry posted this. Now I feel pretty dumb.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The current Gen 2 battery is 18.4kWh, but only 14.4 kWh are usable. This is because the battery is not allowed to fully discharge nor to fully charge. (I think the top SOC is around 86%).

But these are hard set to preserve the battery life, and I don't think there is any trivial way to change them. If people could mess with these, they could decide to unlock an extra 4kWh, at the expense of the battery life, and that would compromise GM warranty.

The possible workaround if you always leave at the same time is to do what Barry said :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think the short answer to your question is no.
Oh there are ways, it's just either complicated, not-automatic, or both, so one has to decide if "the juice is worth the squeeze"

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Oh there are ways, it's just either complicated, not-automatic, or both, so one has to decide if "the juice is worth the squeeze"
On my 2011LEAF there are two default settings - 80% or 100 charge. In the early days of the LEAF, drivers wanted a 90% setting instead of 100% to prolong battery life. However that never happened. I am not aware of any selectable option to achieve 90%90% with the Volt but would be useful for someone living at a higher elevation.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Exactly, Dutch!

Depending on how big the OP's hill is, he may be going to all this trouble to leave room for about 10 cents worth of juice.
<in my best depression era granddad voice> Hey sonny, that's a DIME we're talkin about!!!

·
4,852 Posts
The Volt kind of handles this for you. As noted, it has its own charge buffer, so even if you start out with a "full" charge, it has some room where it allows you to recapture energy. It will still only allow this to happen for a small amount of time though.

In other words, in the Volt a "full" charge is at, let's say, 85%
But, it lets you regeneratively brake and charge it up to as high as 88% doing so.
So you still have some "regenerative" headroom even if you're on a hill and leave with a "full charge"
Make sense?

I believe if you're driving in "L" and it reaches the limit on how much energy it will let you put in when the battery is full, the vehicle will start acting like it is in "D" or "N" instead of "L". Have you observed this happening?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also live on the top of a hill, but less than 300 vertical feet. I do notice that when fully charged and heading down the hill, the paddle regenerative braking on my 2017 is not as effective as when the battery is only partly charged.

Since my down hill drive is so short (little vertical), I've not worried about the extra cent or so, besides I'm charging off my solar array.

However, if the elevation change was significant, I'd try to determine how much energy was available from regeneration on the down hill. I'd start down the hill with only a partial charge and note how many watts of energy were added to the battery by maximizing regeneration on the way down. Knowing this value and your charging rate, you could calculate how much time before a full charge is complete that you should unplug.

Also, knowing the energy available from your down hill regeneration will allow you to calculate the electricity cost and decide if you even want to mess around with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am at 2200-ft, and my estimate is around 1 kwh of regen. It's not the cost, just the idea of having to throw it away plus using the brakes, yes the EV has spoiled me. In the winter, we can compensate by cranking up the heater; and the AC in the hot summer. It's not a big deal, but I thought to ask since there are so much to learn.

I do have a timer which can be set to turn off the EVSE, but it's a daily guestimate. I use it mainly to stop charge on my BEV.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
<in my best depression era granddad voice> Hey sonny, that's a DIME we're talkin about!!!
And 900K dimes will buy me a tesla model s or a CT6 PHEV>

·
Registered
16,17 volt
663 Posts
depending on your charge time buy a timer that covers that time and set it so it short charges and kills power to the charger before its done
if it takes 4.5 hrs to fully charge= 270 min so for every 1/2 hr or 27 minutes you get 10 % charge roughly if its linear in charge

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
So... 2500 years of stopping charging early.
So if the typical American just cuts out the $5 Starbucks fufu coffee per day, then that brings it down to 50 years.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I saw a penny in the parking lot. It was tails-up so I left it. Bad luck to pick up a penny unless it's heads up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It was more important on the Leaf than the Volt since the Leaf battery is much more fragile. Also, the Volt still gives good regen on a "full" battery, something that was not true for the Leaf...

On my 2011LEAF there are two default settings - 80% or 100 charge. In the early days of the LEAF, drivers wanted a 90% setting instead of 100% to prolong battery life. However that never happened.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was more important on the Leaf than the Volt since the Leaf battery is much more fragile. Also, the Volt still gives good regen on a "full" battery, something that was not true for the Leaf...
Not really, within about 1 mile departure, there is hardly any regen left, even with the regen paddle. It's a weird feeling not having the decceleration. Given that myvolt.com and the OnstarRemoteLink can display %SOC as well as sending command, it's just software to program to stop charging at 90%.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts