GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the Volt in order to use the carpool HOV Lane in the SF Bay area. After 2-3 months of waiting I finally got the HOV stickers but wasn't able to use them until 1 week ago due to scheduling issues.

Today, some of the stickers were stolen from the car while it was parked in a public parking lot.

On the DMV site it says I need to file a police report, and mail in all remaining stickers, resubmit the form, repay all fees, and then wait several months again for the replacement stickers. From what I've read it takes even longer for replacement stickers.

Has anyone had the same experience and any advise on dealing with this or how long a replacement will take? Needless to say the costs to me are quite high both in terms of time and money (e.g. it will cost me about $70 in bridge tolls per month, something I had factored into the cost of ownership).

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what I understand the Green Stickers are not good for zero or reduced bridge toll. The yellow ones were at one time. You should read the rules to make sure so you don't get a $300 ticket if that is now the law.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
YosemiteBrent: I had never heard of this, but after googling it it looks like the state of California was putting out confusing and contradictory information out. Since there is little that would surprise me of the state of California my heart sank when I read the first forums and blogs about this. http://priuschat.com/threads/ca-green-stickers-and-bridges-no-reduction.111326/

However, the Fastrak site states that you can use the bridge lanes and I'm going to go with that.

"I have a qualifying clean air vehicle with the WHITE (or GREEN) Clean Air Decals. Can I drive in the designated HOV/carpool-only lane even if I am driving across the bridge by myself? --- Yes. Qualified single-occupancy clean air vehicles are permitted to use dedicated HOV/carpool lanes in the Bay Area during designated carpool hours, if these vehicles are displaying the distinctive WHITE or GREEN decals issued by the DMV." https://www.bayareafastrak.org/vector/static/about/faq.shtml#

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
All our toll tags/stickers( safety and registration) are inside the window in Texas whats the default location in California ?

·
Registered
638 Posts
All our toll tags/stickers( safety and registration) are inside the window in Texas whats the default location in California ?
I believe the stickers in Calif. are placed on the left rear bumper behind the wheel well and back bumper area so they are visible to Police monitoring the fast lane....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In CA you have to put 4 stickers on the exterior of the car. 1 front left, 1 back left, 2 back right. You can't put them inside the window, which sounds much more logical (no damage to car, no possibility of theft) but we don't pay our legislators to be logical in CA. If one of them gets damaged or stolen you have to return them all, wait for several months, and not use the car pool lane in the meantime.

I mentioned the theft to a friend today and he told me he just saw a white non-EV Prius with a single green sticker on the highway. That would be a strange coincidence but I'm definitely keeping an eye out for cars with single stickers in the parking lot for the next week. Unfortunately the fine for stealing a sticker is only $250, which is lower than the fine for HOV Violations.

·
Registered
847 Posts
On the DMV site it says I need to file a police report, and mail in all remaining stickers, resubmit the form, repay all fees, and then wait several months again for the replacement stickers. From what I've read it takes even longer for replacement stickers.
It sounds like this is a somewhat common problem in CA. Do they at least have serial numbers on the stickers?

It may only be a $250 fine, but if there is even the tiniest scratch, you could get them for vandalism.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Does theft/vandalism insurance cover this? Do the stickers have serial #s or other anti-theft/anti-counterfeit measures that could identify the thieves?

If not, it seems like a pretty half-assed system to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does theft/vandalism insurance cover this? Do the stickers have serial #s or other anti-theft/anti-counterfeit measures that could identify the thieves? If not, it seems like a pretty half-assed system to me.
The stickers have serials. Supposedly the stickers are designed to break, but I was able to move them on my own car before when first placing them. However, if you leave the stickers on for several years it looks like they won't come off easily after several years based on the old Priuses I've seen, which is a real concern of course.

Considering that the police in SF was unwilling to investigate/prosecute a burglary in my house, where I had actual proof of the identity of the burglar (amongst other things they stole a credit card and used it to pay their own parking tickets), I cannot imagine that they would prosecute someone for damaging a sticker/car.

I'm going to speak to the owners of the lot where the theft may have occurred to see if they record video on their cameras. I've not had luck with this in the past with hit-and-runs ("we don't record"), but its worth an ask.

·
Registered
36 Posts
YosemiteBrent: I had never heard of this, but after googling it it looks like the state of California was putting out confusing and contradictory information out. Since there is little that would surprise me of the state of California my heart sank when I read the first forums and blogs about this. http://priuschat.com/threads/ca-green-stickers-and-bridges-no-reduction.111326/

However, the Fastrak site states that you can use the bridge lanes and I'm going to go with that.

"I have a qualifying clean air vehicle with the WHITE (or GREEN) Clean Air Decals. Can I drive in the designated HOV/carpool-only lane even if I am driving across the bridge by myself? --- Yes. Qualified single-occupancy clean air vehicles are permitted to use dedicated HOV/carpool lanes in the Bay Area during designated carpool hours, if these vehicles are displaying the distinctive WHITE or GREEN decals issued by the DMV." https://www.bayareafastrak.org/vector/static/about/faq.shtml#
Thanks for the link. I didn't know that. They do have varying rules depending on what bridge you are using and if you have FasTrak or not. I don't have a FasTrak (only go to the Bay Area once in a while). Good information though. Thanks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
This lousy experience of yours would have been less of a hit on you had you scanned (in color) the sticker into its own file on your computer. You could have then found a print shop that would have made you a replacement that could get you by until whatever resolution you sought would have run its course. Or if you have a color printer you could have done it yourself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This lousy experience of yours would have been less of a hit on you had you scanned (in color) the sticker into its own file on your computer. You could have then found a print shop that would have made you a replacement that could get you by until whatever resolution you sought would have run its course. Or if you have a color printer you could have done it yourself.
I assume that is what the thief is doing. If I wanted an illegal sticker I could still do this, since they did not take all the stickers. I'm not sure what to do at the moment but none of the options sound very attractive -- unfortunately the DMV is not set up to help victims of theft of their stickers out. Feels like you get screwed by the thief and then screwed by the DMV.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
First thing - get the heck out of that insane, bankrupt state that thinks they can legislate the laws of physics, and spend without limit without income. Or count on income from say, the income taxes of all those people who were going to make money selling faceplant stock....and use it to fund their (very underfunded) pension liabilities. It's only going to get worse there, leave while you can!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Unreal (bet they sell like hotcakes on craigslist
Cover them with clear bumper protector perhaps??
WOT

·
Registered
194 Posts
First thing - get the heck out of that insane, bankrupt state that thinks they can legislate the laws of physics, and spend without limit without income. Or count on income from say, the income taxes of all those people who were going to make money selling faceplant stock....and use it to fund their (very underfunded) pension liabilities. It's only going to get worse there, leave while you can!
Yes, that's definitely the obvious solution.

<rolls eyes>

- Mark

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
First thing - get the heck out of that insane, bankrupt state that thinks they can legislate the laws of physics, and spend without limit without income.
California definitely has a political problem but not a money problem. I could balance the budget in fifteen minutes. In fact I did. They had an interactive program where you could pick what to do. It was insanely easy. Not only did the budget balance, but other than gas taxes, taxes went down, and, other than prisons, spending went up. The problem is that you have one party who won't accept any tax increases and one that won't accept any spending cuts, and you have to have super majorities to make either happen.

Also before bashing California keep in mind that productivity differences between California and states like Mississippi are less than the productivity difference between Germany and Greece. The difference is that through the federal tax system CA transfers income to states like Mississippi so the system as a whole works. Also keep in mind that over the last year the CA economy has created jobs at twice the rate of the rest of the country (2.6% vs. 1.4%). In fact in May more than half of all jobs created in the US were created in CA.

FYI I've lived in PA, VA, NC, WA, OR, AK, GA, TX and TN. Trust me, CA is not so bad.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Considering that the police in SF was unwilling to investigate/prosecute a burglary in my house, where I had actual proof of the identity of the burglar (amongst other things they stole a credit card and used it to pay their own parking tickets), I cannot imagine that they would prosecute someone for damaging a sticker/car.
Sounds like LA cops :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CynvMlFyo

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The HOV stickers in CA are tied to the car's registration, so technically, they cannot be used on any other vehicle. However, the person who stole them is probably banking on not getting pulled over, so any HOV stickers will do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My stickers lasted 4 days. got em on Monday, were gone on Thursday when I went to my car in the public monitored parking lot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts