GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we're living in the Wild West right now in terms of Volt availability, pricing, and financing. There are various state and federal incentives and credits, as well as profit-hungry dealers hoping to cash in on the early-adopter buzz of the Volt by asking several thousand over MSRP for it. As well, as with any all-new vehicle, there are sure to be some minor quality hiccups. Nothing major, but so far, I've heard about some issues with the charging port door latching, among other things.

Nobody knows for sure what changes are coming for the 2012 model, if any. Possibly a few more colors and (hopefully) a lower price. From what I've heard, the 2012 models will start rolling down the line in July or August.

I am very enthusiastic about the Volt, especially after having driven one myself a few months ago at the L.A. Auto Show. But the $44k-ish transaction price (aside from credits, rebates, etc.) stretches my potential monthly payment beyond my comfort level at $600+. Additionally, I'm hearing the $350-450/month lease deal may be evaporating (if it hasn't already).

Simply put, I don't want to deal with gouging dealers, uncertain finance/payment terms, and untested (although probably fine) quality. The only scenario that I could see myself getting into a Volt in the immediate term (within 3 months) is if I can find one that a dealer is willing to sell/lease for MSRP, I can get a monthly payment of less than $500 a month (lease or purchase), and the color/trim I want (Cyber Gray with dark interior and Leather). If the stars don't align to create this perfect storm, I will be waiting until Summer or Fall 2011 until I can do a fairly "normal" transaction for one.

Just curious as to how the rest of you feel?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I feel the same way. I have mine on order but if the dealer gouges me or plays with the lease terms or they go away I will be walking. If I walk, by the time I find another one I may just have to move into the Tesla Model S lol. Hopefully no funny business happens and I have the car this month. Good luck boss...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I LOVE the Model S! :) Although I do have my concerns about Tesla's long-term viability. I hope they succeed. And if I can't swing $44k, there's NO WAY I could swallow $57k. Something tells me the final MSRP on it will be $60k+.

Anyway, I'm hoping I might luck out and be able to snag a Volt for sticker, and find a (somewhat) honest dealer that won't stick it to me. But admittedly, the "gotta have it right now" feeling has subsided somewhat. I could live with getting one 6-12 months from now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I LOVE the Model S! :) Although I do have my concerns about Tesla's long-term viability. I hope they succeed. And if I can't swing $44k, there's NO WAY I could swallow $57k. Something tells me the final MSRP on it will be $60k+.

Anyway, I'm hoping I might luck out and be able to snag a Volt for sticker, and find a (somewhat) honest dealer that won't stick it to me. But admittedly, the "gotta have it right now" feeling has subsided somewhat. I could live with getting one 6-12 months from now.
Make multiple dealers aware that you are ready to buy NOW at MSRP......and they will contact you soon enough. Hang up if they want over MSRP. They will come around....

Stilgar

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually got a lead from OCRyan about an area dealer who's willing to deal for MSRP. All they require is $1,000 down to place the order. I didn't ask whether or not the deposit is refundable. After talking with the wife, there are a few other obligations we need to take care of first (new windows, paying off her student loan) before we're ready to bite off a new car payment. But it's encouraging to know that the possibility exists that I could get one without being totally robbed. At this point, it looks like I might end up getting a MY 2012 model, but that's OK with me. There might be some running changes/improvements that might be worth waiting for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts