GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Volt, 15,xxx miles.

I have the issue I've read from others on here. Going straight down the highway, the steering seems to semi-lock in the straight ahead position, making lane changes feel awkward and sometimes unnerving. It takes an abnormal amount of force to get the wheel to initially turn. Once "loosened up" it feels normal.

When this first started, it would get stuck, and turning it either left or right required considerable force and attention.

I tried doing several figure-8s at full lock, in both directions, as that was recommended by other forum members.

I'm not sure if that helped, or simply continuing to drive it helped... but today, about 1,000 miles later, it no longer sticks to the left at all. It still sticks to the right, but I don't think its as bad.

I contacted a Volt Advisor, was told the TSB for reprogramming didn't apply to my VIN.

I understand that for some people the problem goes away fully on its own? If you're in that boat, how many miles did it take?

For those of you that had your steering rack replaced, was that really a permanent fix? I read accounts of recurrence. I don't like dealer techs doing major surgery when it may not be a 100% sure-fire fix. I have another year of warranty left.

·
4,866 Posts
I noticed it a couple times on my Volt last year or the year before maybe, a few months after the advisory on it. For me, it was very subtle and only occurred after going in a straight line for quite some time. It happened on 2 or 3 trips, but went away and never appeared again.

The problem is warrantied for an extended amount of time if you ever decide you want it fixed.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
had same issue on my 2013 a few years ago. there is a bulletin for that. was fixed within a day .. in my case, it was all sofware but in some cases, I heard they did some hardware repairs as well. Talk to your service guy, and if they have no clue, reach out to chevy advisor. It should be fully covered by warranty

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My 2013 did it when brand new and lasted for at least 7k-8k miles and then I think I had a software update at that point and it largely went away. I did notice it on one trip for about 50 miles a fair while back but not near as bad as when new. Haven't noticed it for some time now though. I have the bulletin for the 10 year warranty but have not had to exercise that as of yet and probably will not have to.

Complain to your dealer and see if they can assess and fix. Likely though they will do a drive around the block and tell you they cannot reproduce it!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
See my signature for the PIC # for fixing this.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I noticed on my very early 12 that it is starting to show signs of that center stickiness. 48K miles.

Wonder if the dealer will still do the repairs.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I noticed on my very early 12 that it is starting to show signs of that center stickiness. 48K miles.

Wonder if the dealer will still do the repairs.
I received a letter in the mail many months ago on it that said there would be an extended warranty on this if I was not currently experiencing problems. I would say yes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ANOTHER STICKING STEERING 2014 VOLT - BUT NO RECALL?

This NHTSA reported defect must be coming from the stars to our vehicles, because I too am from the Cleveland area, have a 2014 Volt and experienced the sticking steering on highway the EXACT same day as you did. Its cold, we are on the highway, many owners have experienced the exact same problem, and GM is saying the TSB does not apply to your vehicle? A super big JOKE! Did your vehicle receive an ENHANCED set of software or a different power steering system or rack? yes? no? if yes, what was the engineering trial date on the assembly line? Can GM supply you and the other owners with "breakpoints " for the change? How come you still have the problem? Well think about it, GM cant be wrong so I guess its you, and your vehicle must be the exception to the TSB covering 4+ years vehicle production. I'm sure when I take my 37K vehicle to the dealer I will get the same "not covered" by the TSB story line. Hearing that you have been told that your vehicle wasn't covered by the TSB absolutely disgusts me. I'm a former GM engineer and I thought..... that the company was supposed to have "Changed" Guess not. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

2014 Volt, 15,xxx miles.

I have the issue I've read from others on here. Going straight down the highway, the steering seems to semi-lock in the straight ahead position, making lane changes feel awkward and sometimes unnerving. It takes an abnormal amount of force to get the wheel to initially turn. Once "loosened up" it feels normal.

When this first started, it would get stuck, and turning it either left or right required considerable force and attention.

I tried doing several figure-8s at full lock, in both directions, as that was recommended by other forum members.

I'm not sure if that helped, or simply continuing to drive it helped... but today, about 1,000 miles later, it no longer sticks to the left at all. It still sticks to the right, but I don't think its as bad.

I contacted a Volt Advisor, was told the TSB for reprogramming didn't apply to my VIN.

I understand that for some people the problem goes away fully on its own? If you're in that boat, how many miles did it take?

For those of you that had your steering rack replaced, was that really a permanent fix? I read accounts of recurrence. I don't like dealer techs doing major surgery when it may not be a 100% sure-fire fix. I have another year of warranty left.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I'm sure when I take my 37K vehicle to the dealer I will get the same "not covered" by the TSB story line. Hearing that you have been told that your vehicle wasn't covered by the TSB absolutely disgusts me. I'm a former GM engineer and I thought..... that the company was supposed to have "Changed" Guess not. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Just head over to my.chevrolet.com and click on 'View Warranties' for your Volt if you want to see if your vehicle is covered under this 'special coverage' Power Steering Stick-Slip warranty...no dealer visit required.;)

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to 1) replace the steering gear on 2010-2012 model year vehicles; or 2) reprogram the power steering control module on 2013-2014 model year vehicles. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

#14232A: Special Coverage Adjustment – Power Steering Stick-Slip – 2010-2014 Buick Chevrolet & GMC

BTW: Only Gen1 Volts up to 2012 will get a new steering gear due to this special coverage. 2013-14 Gen1s rate only a reprogram!:(

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SOMMS-

Thanks for that tip to look at my.chevrolet.com. I checked, and my 2014 does NOT have the special coverage yours shows for the sticky steering 14232. The only special coverage I have is for the accelerator stalk.

Since mine apparently doesn't qualify for a re-programming via TSB, I expect the dealer will want the car for a full day or even longer. And if I complain enough, they will probably want to swap the entire rack out.

For now my symptoms are manageable, and the Volt isn't our long distance highway car. A trip would be annoying like this.

I'm going to wait til spring, after all of the de-icing chemicals have been washed from the roads, and the forecast shows a dry week. At that point, I can pull our 3rd car (Saab convertible) out of the garage, and drive it with no guilt, while the Chevy dealer messes around with the Volt. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and the symptom will leave over the next few thousand miles, as others have reported.

I have one year of bumper to bumper left. Other than this, it's been a perfect car so far.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to bring some closure to the thread I started. My 3/36k warranty ends very soon, so I took my car in with a short laundry list of problems, including the sticky steering.

I dropped off a copy of the TSB, even though my VIN is supposedly a 2014 that is NOT covered by 14232, and asked for the re-programming. I got to speak with the tech himself, he said he re-programmed the steering module and I should be good. The steering definitely feels a lot smoother now, and I haven't had it stick once.

I also had lost heat while in EV mode, he replaced a coolant pump. Somedays it would groan loudly and I'd get heat, other days there would be no groan because the pump wasn't running at all, and no heat. Not fun in frigid weather, but apparently not uncommon as he had just had a 2013 the week before doing the same thing.

I also had the DIC selector knob (left of steering) replaced because the display would jump 3-4 screens with one click of the knob. That is fixed too.

Hopefully the gremlins are all gone now. Car has 30k miles and I do love driving it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts