GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been googling and searching this forum, and there are several threads with people complaining that the Volt does not save your selection for 12-amp charging. You have to select that explicitly every time you plug in, or you'll be charging at 8-amp. There is speculation that GM intends this "feature" as an extra precaution, but dang is it annoying.

Can we get a sticky note about this situation, that maybe includes a poll/petition for people who want this to be changed? If I'm late to the party, please direct me to it!

·
Registered
721 Posts
GM fixed that in the Gen 2 by adding a GPS based home location that enables the car to know when it is at home and use the 12 amps setting automatically.

Given the history of GM with updates on older models, I would not count on them making that available on Gen 1, but you can always hope :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM fixed that in the Gen 2 by adding a GPS based home location that enables the car to know when it is at home and use the 12 amps setting automatically.

Given the history of GM with updates on older models, I would not count on them making that available on Gen 1, but you can always hope :)
Hrrm, I've got a 2017, so looks like I just need to figure out how to set my "home" location then. I've got the dedicated 20-amp outlet, so no worries there.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Hrrm, I've got a 2017, so looks like I just need to figure out how to set my "home" location then. I've got the dedicated 20-amp outlet, so no worries there.
Alternatively, go get an L2 EVSE to cut your charge times down dramatically. There should also be some forum threads that show you how to use a pigtail adapter to use your gen2 EVSE at 220V (still 12A, not 16A that a new L2 EVSE would give you).do it, either one, as the freedom of getting a full charge in 4-5 hours is priceless.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternatively, go get an L2 EVSE to cut your charge times down dramatically. There should also be some forum threads that show you how to use a pigtail adapter to use your gen2 EVSE at 220V (still 12A, not 16A that a new L2 EVSE would give you).do it, either one, as the freedom of getting a full charge in 4-5 hours is priceless.
Yes, I'm pursuing that, too, but in the meantime, it would be nice to fix this.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Yes, I'm pursuing that, too, but in the meantime, it would be nice to fix this.
For the few weeks that I was waiting on the L2 installation, I set a few smartphone geofence reminders to remind my to set the car to 12A when I arrived home. It worked great.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahaha, you can lead a horse to water....
Yes, yes, I've had the car for 3 frickin' days, haven't had time to get there yet. That said, I figured it had to be somewhere in the settings, and found it in Settings --> Location Based Charging.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Yes, yes, I've had the car for 3 frickin' days, haven't had time to get there yet. That said, I figured it had to be somewhere in the settings, and found it in Settings --> Location Based Charging.
You wouldn't believe how many post questions here that are answered in the owners manual. Everything from what kind of gas should I use, what grade engine oil, to how the dash controls work. People posting those will get answers, but also some "read the manual" replies. By the way, the PDF version of the manual is pretty easy to search. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You wouldn't believe how many post questions here that are answered in the owners manual. Everything from what kind of gas should I use, what grade engine oil, to how the dash controls work. People posting those will get answers, but also some "read the manual" replies. By the way, the PDF version of the manual is pretty easy to search. :)
Oh, I've been around Internet forums enough to completely believe that. I've been the expert in the room before, so it pains me to now be the "noob" asking questions that have been answered over and over and are also found in the manual. But you know, reading the manual takes time (though searching the PDF is a good point, IF you know what you're searching for), and there are all these helpful enthusiastic people here.... :eek:

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts