GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Volt LT with the basic radio. I know wish a I had gotten the better one. Could someone tell me if the dealer can upgrade me or do I need to go aftermarket?

I'm not a real audiophile, most of the time I just listen to books. It's just that the basic stereo kinda sucks. Mostly I think I dislike the rear speakers.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The rear speakers are largely a waste. Just run the fader full forward to leave them off... helps a lot and doesn't cost a penny :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
What if I buy good speakers for the rear? Do you think it would sound as good as the Bose?
Changing the speakers is an excellent first step and you will hear the difference, but you will maybe lack the loud bass from a Sub, but that could be easily added. Plenty of threads on this subject on this forum. Dealer won't retrofit a BOSE system in your volt.
Rear speakers are 6" 1/2 (in fact all 4 door speakers are 6 1/2").

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing the speakers is an excellent first step and you will hear the difference, but you will maybe lack the loud bass from a Sub, but that could be easily added. Plenty of threads on this subject on this forum. Dealer won't retrofit a BOSE system in your volt.
Rear speakers are 6" 1/2 (in fact all 4 door speakers are 6 1/2").
So, its 4 speakers total in the car and they are the same size. I will pay to get 4 really nice speakers installed as long as they dont have to do anything in the dash.
Thanks for the info Simplex oh almost forgot, are they round or oval?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Careful on what you choose. Most aftermarket speakers will improve music sound, specifically lower and upper response. Unless you go for super audiophile speakers, you will hurt your mid range response by swapping. And mid range is where spoken voice is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I need to try this out.
I messed with the fader yesterday with my Bose system and found that the tone changes greatly from one step to the rear to centered to one step to the front. It was not subtle to my ear. One step forward was brighter but with somewhat suppressed low end and very directional. There was nearly no depth of the sound in the cabin A bit too bright for me, although I had left my EQ at two steps up on treble. Fader set one step to the rear, where it had been since I bought the car, was just a bit dull (why I had boosted the treble previously) but there was more depth of the sound within the cabin. I settled on centered as being pleasant all around, with bass EQ down one (because some of my stuff has pronounced bass and the various tracks are not leveled).

Not sure I care for the center dash speaker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if the Primer has the same head and amp as the LT but with better speakers?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Does anyone know if the Primer has the same head and amp as the LT but with better speakers?
The Premier audio system includes a sub.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So, its 4 speakers total in the car and they are the same size. I will pay to get 4 really nice speakers installed as long as they dont have to do anything in the dash.
Thanks for the info Simplex oh almost forgot, are they round or oval?
Round.
And you can buy speakers brackets to install them easily (I highly recommmend this, makes the installation very easy and you can later put back your old speakers if you sell the car later)

Look for this on crutchfield.com:
Scosche SAGMHR-634 Speaker Mounting Brackets

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to car toys and got some nice speakers installed. No amp, just the speakers. I am happy with the purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts