GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Volt owners,

I have a 2011 Volt and this is my first summer with it as I bought it used later last year.
It made it through the winter here in Saskatchewan Canada quite well.
I did use gas as I really only got 25km or 15miles per charge. Oh well, it is what it is especially in our climate.

My situation is:
While I drive straight down the road all feels good but then I need to make a slight adjustment to keep the volt staying on the road and I feel a bit of a restriction. It feels like the steering wheel sticks a bit and then it is good again.

I am sure I am not explaining this well but can anyone relate to this or does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks
Kipp

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
This issue has been posted several times on this forum. I believe GM has a potential fix for it. (replace power steering unit)

3,608 Posts
Hello Volt owners,

I have a 2011 Volt and this is my first summer with it as I bought it used later last year.
It made it through the winter here in Saskatchewan Canada quite well.
I did use gas as I really only got 25km or 15miles per charge. Oh well, it is what it is especially in our climate.

My situation is:
While I drive straight down the road all feels good but then I need to make a slight adjustment to keep the volt staying on the road and I feel a bit of a restriction. It feels like the steering wheel sticks a bit and then it is good again.

I am sure I am not explaining this well but can anyone relate to this or does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks
Kipp
Kipp,

I apologize that you experience this. Since you are out of the country I am unable to look up your information. Please contact your Service Department and have them contact their Technical Team for further diagnose on your Volt.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes, entire rack needs to be replaced. Do not let them waste your time with software updates as that was the old fix when this issue first arose. Should take no more than a day to complete as the entire assembly is shipped in one unit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took my Volt in and they couldn't get it to bind on their test drive.
I will keep driving it and will see if I can figure out when it does it as it does not do it all the time.
Does anyone who has experience, know if there is a certain speed or temperature that maybe this starts to happen more?

Thanks
Kipp

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have the same issue: 'sticky' steering at center position, especially noticeable (and irritating) at highway driving. It is sometimes worse than other times, but I have not been able to tell what circumstance causes it to be worse. It is not urgent, but I will have it taken care of at the next service appointment.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I took my Volt in and they couldn't get it to bind on their test drive.
I will keep driving it and will see if I can figure out when it does it as it does not do it all the time.
Does anyone who has experience, know if there is a certain speed or temperature that maybe this starts to happen more?

Thanks
Kipp
NO NO NO, that is BS Kipp. Get your Volt advisor to force the issue and have GM Engineering call them (my dealer actually called Detroit on their own) to explain that this is a KNOWN ISSUE and to just to replace the DAMN rack!

When I went down the first, and only time I went, i was armed with the printouts from the link I gave you. My service manager tried, but hey too could not reproduce it or they were just not sensitive to it. Anyway once they talked to Detroit, the rack was in the mail and installed in about a week.

GM WILL take care of you even if your dealer is reluctant, which they should not be as they get PAID for the labor!

Good Luck Kipp!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, when they order the parts from Detroit, make sure that they include the one-time-use bolts that are removed when they take the steering rack off. That way, your car won't stay in the garage for a few extra days while they order them in.

The job usually takes 4 hours or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts