GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a month ago my Ampera's steering wheel started a slight annoying whine while I'm turning the steering wheel clockwise, to turn right. It doesn't whine while being turned counter-clockwise.
It's an annoying sound, especially on a silent vehicle like this.

How much work is needed for a dealer to fix this?

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
About a month ago my Ampera's steering wheel started a slight annoying whine while I'm turning the steering wheel clockwise, to turn right. It doesn't whine while being turned counter-clockwise.
It's an annoying sound, especially on a silent vehicle like this.

How much work is needed for a dealer to fix this?
Sound perhaps coming from where the steering column goes through the firewall. I had an minor issue with my 2011. Pulled into garage and XM radio would go out (silent) and I heard a squeak turning the wheel.

Some diagrams for a rough idea.
http://www.gmpartsdepartment.com/pa...533&vehicleid=1447713&section=STEERING COLUMN

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
By the sound of it, I think I hear it coming from where the steering wheel 'touches' the plastic control panel (like that the steering wheel is rubbing the plastic).

The sound is present, when there's 15-°C in the car. When it gets warm in the cabin, it goes away. That's why the sound wasn't present before the colder days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
that could just be the clock spring ~the plastic in the ribbon gets hard in the cold .Horn contacts can get noisey ifthere is insufficient grease. Normally i would suggest power steering fluid but there is none in this car ~one less oil spot on the driveway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
PS. Clock spring ribbon wires are wound clockwise and make noise turning right as they tighten up. Have to remove air bag and steering wheel to replace~specific alignment required,steering wheel puller. Air bag wiring~replacement only recommended.All your steering wheel control go thrugh this~ mute or volume control will malfunction if spring is dammaged.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is interesting though, that while turning the steering wheel clockwise, the whine is present only at a certain angle of the steering wheel in every turn of the wheel. It's not a constant whine when turning the steering wheel throughout the turn of the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
By the sound of it, I think I hear it coming from where the steering wheel 'touches' the plastic control panel (like that the steering wheel is rubbing the plastic).
Same in my case. It was very deceiving for the dealer tech and I because it sounded close. That is not where it turned out to be tho.

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
And after it became warm in the cabin, did the sound go away also in your case?
I don't recall that. When I first noticed it I had it in the dealers within a few days because I already had some trim work on the roof scheduled to be fixed.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS. Clock spring ribbon wires are wound clockwise and make noise turning right as they tighten up. Have to remove air bag and steering wheel to replace~specific alignment required,steering wheel puller. Air bag wiring~replacement only recommended.All your steering wheel control go thrugh this~ mute or volume control will malfunction if spring is dammaged.
The steering whining has been resolved by the dealer. It was the issue, that you described. Now, the steering wheel is silent again :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.