GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Chevrolet Volt steering wheel is beginning to come apart. The cushioning is getting unglued from the frame at the 11 o'clock position. Since the car is always in a garage, at home and at work, I'm surprised it's already deteriorating. I do have a GM extended warranty, but the dealer told me it would not cover "cosmetic" issues. Thank you, GM.

·
8,680 Posts
That's a new one. I'm not surprised the extended warranty doesn't cover it, but I've never heard of that problem before. Could you put up some pictures for us?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I have seen a number of steering wheels with excessive wear of all ages. I suspect a lot of that wheel is due to wearing rings, (wedding, class, decorative etc.). None of my steering wheels have ever experienced any wear except for some paint wear on my plastic wheel in my '71 Javelin and I've had some 18 to 27 years. I've never worn a ring since I lost my class ring back in '63. Do you wear ring?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If the cushioning is coming off the steering wheel this is more than a cosmetic issue.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
I’m seeing the same thing on my 14 year old CTS, and it’s just wear and tear. Are you the original owner and do you work with caustic chemicals or anything else that might cause faster than usual wear? Or are you using some weird cleanser that isn’t designed for leather?

You could consider this an opportunity to bring in some ulholsteror to pimp your ride with an interior makeover.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Pictures?

My 2011 looks brand new. I use leather lotion on it about every 2 months or so. Same with the seats.

Extended warranty's do cover any and all issues. Wear and tear would normally not be covered. Fine print is worth reading.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Salt from your hand or chemicals will affect leather over time. Some people inadvertently use a car care product which actually creates damage. I drive a lot, and use driving gloves to both protect the leather steering wheel, and keep the hands from getting cold by being so close to the AC vent.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
638 Posts
Steering wheels are easy to change if you are a decent shade tree tech. Nice thing about the Volt wheel is that it it the same/similar in many many GM cars. Different colours, stitching, etc.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I would think that if enough of the covering and material padding has been deteriorated to where you see the metal skeleton of the steering wheel, then that is no longer a cosmetic issue but rather a safety issue. That said however, you might have better luck with a good faith replacement or perhaps even go with the defects in material and workmanship route, though I think even that might be be a 3/36 only covered item.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts