GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Volt over an extended highway drive over Thanksgiving felt like the steering was getting stuck while cruising straight at 75mph. The car when needing to correct stay in my lane felt like there was "dead spot" and then it would stick until I turned the wheel harder. I thought this was happening in the past but it seems to be getting worse. I saw that there is a technical service bulletin # 14232 for a software update. When reading about it this was my problem exactly. Any thoughts on this matte, experience, or if I can just call the dealer up and give them the bulletin number. The car is still under the 3/36 number to number as it has 24,500 on it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
They can try the software update but they may also replace the steering rack should any software updates not fix the problem. There was a 10 year warranty put on 2013/2014 volts to replace the rack should it experience the problem.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Sounds like you have never brought you car in for service. There are MANY software updates for various things, including the dead spot steering. Just bring it in and have the car brought up to date software wise, and it is covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
software fixed my car,it's been fine for 25k now.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I had the same fix on my '13--also now flawless for at least 20K miles.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I experienced that "null" feeling in my 2013, dealer applied the TSB (software update) and after that my steering operated as expected.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are differing experiences on this. Some say the software fixes it, others disagree. Some had their steering racks replaced, a few did this more than once. Some saw recurrence after the rack change, others say it's fixed. Some say a few full-lock turns in both directions will correct it when it happens. You'll also find deniers who say it's all in you mind.

This happened to my '14 at about 18 months - they applied the software fix. It hasn't recurred but I avoid the long, straight road it happened on.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
You'll also find deniers who say it's all in you mind.
Perhaps I missed a post, but I have not seen anyone deny this has been an issue for some, including me. However, mine went away without the software fix or a new rack.

My 2011 also got the warranty extension.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
In my experience, they won't apply the software update automatically. I had to let them know I was experiencing the symptoms. Then they updated and my 2013 has been fine since.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have experienced this, infrequently, since the car is seldom out on the road. I have a 2014. I will mention this to the dealer at the next opportunity.

FYI, herebelow is a summary of the TSB I found elsewhere online.

Campaign #14232: Special Coverage Adjustment - Power Steering Stick-Slip
2011-2014 Chevrolet Volt

Condition:
Some 2011-2014 MY Chevrolet Volt may have increased friction in the steering system. This could cause the steering wheel to stick in the straight-ahead position after driving long distances on a straight highway.
The steering wheel can be turned but it may require increased effort.

Vehicles Involved:
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system.

Service Procedure:
2010-2012 Vehicles: Replace the Steering Gear Assembly
2013-2014 Vehicles: Reprogram the Power Steering Control Module.
Note: * When performing the reprogram on 2013-2014 vehicles, always ensure that the programming description addresses the stick-slip condition.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Sounds like the software is a 'work-around' to an actual mechanical problem, so whether it works probably depends on the extent of the mechanical wear/tolerance/whatever.

Software doesn't 'wear out' so it should either feel like that from the outset, or not at all, if it were 'only' software.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The steering feel is speed dependent and the software adjusts how much power assist occurs at various speeds. Most GM's have this speed adaptive steering. I think initially they thought it might be a hardware condition but found a software fix that would solve the issue. I too had the software fix and it has been fine, except I did experience the condition on a 2 hour drive one time after the software fix. It has been fine again since the one time experience.

With the extended warranty for the issue, I am only going to opt for it if I experience it again.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It does not seem to be true that dealers just apply software fixes for this condition always. I thought I noticed it early on, got the same 10yr notice but every year on inspection I asked about software updates and they said NOPE none. Yet I bet I could have specifically listed this one and they would have applied it. One thing as a software guy myself is don't touch what is not broken enough to be that big of a deal as often times than not they break something else and/or more important and noticeable. It seems to me they have been instructed not to install all patches unless the customer specfically complains. I often wonder who is developing the software...that is onshore folks in the USA or offshore folks in lala lands such as china, india, brazil or anywhere else GM can get it cheaply done!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
In my experience, they won't apply the software update automatically. I had to let them know I was experiencing the symptoms. Then they updated and my 2013 has been fine since.
You are absolutely correct! Same with me.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
In my experience, they did what I asked them to do. They did ask if I had experienced a problem. I promptly refused to answer their question. I have never experienced the problem and I do not wish to, or more importantly, have my wife freaking out because it happened to her and she didn't know what was going on.

I was there for a software update and I got it. That goes for a few other updates I've had to the software.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been driving my 2014 volt for 2 months now and am experiencing the stick at the center position on the highway.

I'm gonna call the dealer for an appointment so they can reprogram the steering control module. If it was already done, then it will be a new rack.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My 2013 had this issue. When I took it in, they 'can't reproduce the issue'. I traded it for my ELR with the condition still in place. I believe this was before the software update was released. Volt advisor was zero help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2015 Volt had this issue. It was extremely annoying. Dealer ended up replacing the Steering Rack. They didn't mention anything about doing a software update...The issue hasn't come back after the new steering rack though.

This issue came up when I had ~4,000 miles. I know have ~20,000 miles and no issue.

3,605 Posts
My 2014 Volt over an extended highway drive over Thanksgiving felt like the steering was getting stuck while cruising straight at 75mph. The car when needing to correct stay in my lane felt like there was "dead spot" and then it would stick until I turned the wheel harder. I thought this was happening in the past but it seems to be getting worse. I saw that there is a technical service bulletin # 14232 for a software update. When reading about it this was my problem exactly. Any thoughts on this matte, experience, or if I can just call the dealer up and give them the bulletin number. The car is still under the 3/36 number to number as it has 24,500 on it.
We're sorry to learn you've been experiencing this steering concern, bnaccs. We see you're seeking advice from other forum users, but if you decide to work with your dealer on this and would like some extra assistance, we'd be happy to help.

If you're interested, just send us a private message with your contact information, VIN and preferred dealer.

Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 42 Posts