GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put 500 miles on my 2013 Volt and it has been great except for one issue.... If I don't constantly make steering corrections, it wanders to the right. On the highway, if you release the steering wheel and count to 5 you will have changed lanes. Regardless of which way the road slopes it always goes to the right.

When I called my dealership I was told to give it time because the suspension had to settle in after being transported to the dealership on a truck. I was also told Chevrolet has a policy of not looking into alignment issues until a car has at least 500 miles on it.

It now has 500 miles and I took it to the dealership this week. My service adviser told me Chevrolet purposely sets the cars to favor going to the right for safety issues, but he agreed to check the alignment. When I picked it up I was told the alignment was "perfect" even though they didn't have a print out showing what the specs should be and if my car fell within acceptable ranges.

Actually, the only work showing on the invoice was rotating the two front tires. Needless to say, the car still heads right when you let go of the steering wheel.

The questions I have are:

1) Is it typical behavior for Volts to not track straight as well as some other cars? I'm asking mainly because the 2013 demo they loaned me also wandered to the right, just not as bad.

2) Has anyone else had this issue and been told that car has to have 500 miles on it before checking it because the car needs to "settle in" before it tracks straight?

3) At the risk of sounding dumb, if this really is an issue with these cars, does it really get better as the car breaks in as I was told, or is it time to find another service department?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I haven't had a problem with alignment/steering. I have had a tire that was out of balance cause the exact symptoms that you describe. I wonder if your tires have been properly balanced? I'd think that would be done at the factory. Seems like WOT should be able to shed some light on your problem. I'd see what he says and also get in touch with your Volt adviser and get them working on it. It's not normal in my experience and I'm certain this would have been brought up here before but I don't recall that happening. Best of luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In case you aren't familiar with WOT, he's an expert Volt technician who frequents this forum. A Volt adviser can be reached by pushing the Blue Onstar button in your Volt and asking them to connect you to an adviser.

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
Tire inflation, out of balance, or misalignment? Whichever it is, it's covered under the warranty. My Volt never had wandering or tracking issues. Perfect from day 1. Take it to another service department and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My Volt tracks perfectly straight. I can let go of the wheel at 70mph and maintain a perfectly straight course. I might try a different dealer if you have another that's not too far.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have noticed recently that mine tracks to the right too. Not the usual amount due to a road grade or wind. The wheel is almost off, in the fact that I have to hold it off center to keep the car straight. I will be due for tires before too long and I will deal with it then.

I have had so many issues lately that I don't want to pile on and deal with the dealership right now. I'm really just ready to be done with the dealers for a while.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have put 500 miles on my 2013 Volt and it has been great except for one issue.... If I don't constantly make steering corrections, it wanders to the right. On the highway, if you release the steering wheel and count to 5 you will have changed lanes. Regardless of which way the road slopes it always goes to the right.

When I called my dealership I was told to give it time because the suspension had to settle in after being transported to the dealership on a truck. I was also told Chevrolet has a policy of not looking into alignment issues until a car has at least 500 miles on it.

It now has 500 miles and I took it to the dealership this week. My service adviser told me Chevrolet purposely sets the cars to favor going to the right for safety issues, but he agreed to check the alignment. When I picked it up I was told the alignment was "perfect" even though they didn't have a print out showing what the specs should be and if my car fell within acceptable ranges.

Actually, the only work showing on the invoice was rotating the two front tires. Needless to say, the car still heads right when you let go of the steering wheel.

The questions I have are:

1) Is it typical behavior for Volts to not track straight as well as some other cars? I'm asking mainly because the 2013 demo they loaned me also wandered to the right, just not as bad.

2) Has anyone else had this issue and been told that car has to have 500 miles on it before checking it because the car needs to "settle in" before it tracks straight?

3) At the risk of sounding dumb, if this really is an issue with these cars, does it really get better as the car breaks in as I was told, or is it time to find another service department?
A tire with radial runout will cause the car to drift to one side. Your dealer is not very thorough! Post his name and go to another dealer.
I had the same issue and diagnosed it by moving the tire to the opposite side...and instead of drifting left ...it drifted right....BTW it wasn't a Volt. You got BS from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Gee, mine tends toward going just plain straight unless the road crown is really serious. Slow, fast - doesn't matter, it drives like most new cars, tight and right.

You probably have an alignment issue if you've checked tire pressure etc. Dealers jump on some jobs, and try to avoid others, depends on the pay vs how hard in the warranty pay book. Alignment issues are probably one of the ones that don't pay very much per how hard it is to really satisfy a customer - many bring them back again for whatever reason, and then it's the dealer's nickel.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My ride is flawleess - straight until I hit ocean if need be.

I'd take it in at 500 then. This is a great ride, no point being disappointed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Tire inflation, out of balance, or misalignment? Whichever it is, it's covered under the warranty. My Volt never had wandering or tracking issues. Perfect from day 1. Take it to another service department and see what they say.
Listen to Steverino. He is correct. No one builds a car to pull to the right for safety or says to wait for the suspension to settle. Bunch of nonsense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought it was just me.....mine tracks to the right as well. Just turned 2000 miles over the weekend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine pulled to the right slightly when I took delivery. When I took it in, the technician said the camber was off on one side and they ordered a camber kit to correct the problem. After the fix, it tracked perfectly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Of the four cars I have, the Volt is the only one that does not pull to one side or the other. At all. It runs straight and true at any speed. The high precision steering is delightful. I had the recommended tire rotations done and was worried that might affect the steering, but it did not.

My Toyota is another story. I finally got tired of it pulling hard right, and paid two different tire shops to do wheel alignments to try and fix it, without success. That car would change lanes in two seconds if you released the wheel. I finally had a Toyota dealer take a crack at it, they got it almost correct, it still slowly and gently drifts to the right.

Needless to say wheel alignment is influenced by the precision of the equipment being used to measure and adjust it, combined with the expertise of the technician performing the work. I have no reason to think the alignment of my Volt was changed from the original factory settings, which are perfect, and I assume the equipment and expertise at the factory are the highest available. It is possible some issues people are experiencing could have been created by cars being roughly handled during transport.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The only way alignment would be changed between factory and delivery to owner would be an accident or loose bolts or it was never set right from the factory. A car pulling in one direction has an alignment issue or a tire issue or both. Under inflated tires can be less stable as well. If you change lanes quickly when you let go of the wheel it needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brand new 2013 volt alignment/steering issue

I just leased a new 2013 on Sunday and noticed the steering to the right/steering wheel not centered issue on the way home. The steering wheel was off by about 3-4 degrees. Took it in to the dealer who had to adjust the steering wheel and do alignment. I picked it up and it is a bit better but it is definitely still pulling to the right and does not feel normal. The steering wheel is still off by a degree or two and noticeable. I have to take it there again tomorrow. Bummer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ended up talking to a Volt Adviser. I was told to drive it for ~ 1000 miles and let the suspension settle. I did not believe it at first but I checked with a couple of car "techies" and they all agreed on the suspension settle advice.

And it appears that after 10 days of driving around, and a couple of road trips with 4 people in the car, the suspension has settled after about 600 miles, the tire pressure monitors are all now consistent and accurate & the car is driving straight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts