GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last post on this site was about me debating whether or not to stay electric given the electricity rates and usage schedules we have in Ca.. It might cost more for us to drive electric once all factors are weighed.

After weighing the pros and cons, I wasn't fond of straight gas myself, but really wanted to leave it all up to my better half since she is the primary driver of this car. We tested, poked, and prodded every vehicle in the category, and she decided she really liked the Bolt the best. The Volt had her spoiled in the sense that she rarely had to go to the gas station. That, and the silent smooth power were factors, but the whole car and its EV features work really well for us.
The parking camera is a nice feature that most cars don't have, and the ones that do often have access to it buried fairly deep so that it takes a lot of fishing to find. The back up cam with its projected path based on how the wheel is cut, is better in the Chevy too.

So, we sacrificed power memory seats, Homelink, and adaptive cruise control, but not much else that we care about.
I ended up with an 18 with every available option for 42009 out the door. We had to wait a while for it and picked it up July 7th.

I'm really glad I decided to lease my gen 1 Volt. I had never leased a vehicle before, but saw the way that EV technology was advancing, and knew something much more advanced would be along shortly, and sure enough, Chevy announced the Bolt not too long afterwards.

We only have a little over 1000 miles so far, but I find things I really like about having an EV every time I drive it. Everyone that's been in it has been impressed, and it about blows their mind when they see me pull into a spot, shut it off, and the car puts itself into park, AND sets the parking brake!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
We only have a little over 1000 miles so far, but I find things I really like about having an EV every time I drive it. Everyone that's been in it has been impressed, and it about blows their mind when they see me pull into a spot, shut it off, and the car puts itself into park, AND sets the parking brake!
The next great option is for the Volt to park itself. Some cars from other brands already do that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's already available with Driver convenience package 2. Mine has it. Both parallel and perpendicular parking.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Also when calculating costs it's important to remember the other savings you get with the Volt and Bolt.
Greatly reduced or zero oil changes
Greatly reduced break wear and associated maintenance costs

I'm also pretty sure that as these cars age, most of the components are going to hold up well due to the decreased vibrations and the greatly reduced heat, especially in the engine compartment.

When I got my Volt I was stunned at the savings in fuel alone I was getting vs my Jeep Cherokee (driven on the same commute) and then was stunned again after a year when I realized I'd also saved around $300 in oil changes and was also happy about the related reduction in waste oil I was generating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts