GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an OBDII reader on the way to play with, and one thing I wanted to see if I could figure out how to do was to get the SOC from it, and display it on a small LCD facing out, low on the dash. It would just be a small LCD so I could just glance at the car and see either how many miles, or a % charged, or both... who knows.

I think if I got the data from a reader, making a raspberry pi grab and display the number(s) onto a display would be easy. Just thought it would be handy and neat to have installed next to the charge light.

Has anyone else thought about, or done this?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
While Raspberry PI is fine if you want to tinker around, if you want a simple solution, get an old Android smartphone with BT capability and configure it to display the values you want. I use Torque Pro app. There are Volt specific PIDS you can find by searching these forums. Download and import them into Torque, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply,

I want to use the BT to go to a display facing the driver when the car is in motion. I didnt think I would be able to connect to it twice (once forward facing, once driver facing). I guess I don't need them to be on at the same time. Maybe switch to outward facing when the car is off, and driver facing when the car is on?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Perhaps describe your setup a little more, or include a diagram?
Not sure what you're trying to do with forward facing and driver facing terms.

You wouldn't even need torque pro if all you want is SOC.
It is a standard PID included in torque free under 'hybrid battery pack' SOC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
okay, so here is what I want to do... basically two seperate things, although simillar in nature, different purposes.

1.) an Android display with torque pro to see all kinds of fun data while the vehicle is in motion and on. I called this the driver facing display. I know people have done this a dozen times and although I haven't actually done it yet, my OBDII bluetooth dongle came today and I should have this figured out shortly.

2.) Imagine looking at the car from the front. You can see the green light blinking and know that it's still charging. My thought is to put an LCD display (maybe 1" red) next to the charge light, so it can be seen outside the car just like you would look at the charge light. It would show SOC, or even cooler, number of miles on the guessometer... maybe a two line display with both... I dunno. I picture making a sticker to clean it up from the outside so if people look at it when charging, they too could see... "wow, this car is charging, and right now has 25 miles of electric range." Maybe I add gas range too so those people can see it has both electric and gas.

---------------------------------------------
| Range on electricity only: ~~25 miles~~ |
| Range on gas only: ~~~~~165 miles~~ |
| Total Range: ~~~~~~~~~190 miles~~ |
| Percent Charged: ~~~~~~~55%~~~~ |
| Estimated Time to full: ~2 hrs 30 mins~|
----------------------------------------------

maybe that's too much info... so:

-----------------------------------------------
| Range on electricity only: ~~25 miles~ |
| Percent Charged: ~~~~~~~55%~~~~ |
| Estimated Time to full: ~2 hrs 30 mins |
------------------------------------------------

or super simple:

-----------------------------------------------
| Range on electricity only: ~~25 miles~ |
| Estimated Time to full: ~2 hrs 30 mins |
------------------------------------------------

This way, if I know I'm going on a 10 mile trip, I can just glance outside at the car and see how many miles are on it. Or maybe I'm at a public charging station, and want to put on 5 more miles before I head out so I can make it home. I can park at a charger, go get a quick sandwich, and see how much charge is left. I realize this can be done with the onstar app, but once the free onstar runs out and you don't want to pay for it, then what. Also, with how long onstar takes to connect, it would be way quicker at times to just take a quick look instead of waiting for onstar to connect. I know... we get this nice app from onstar, and I want to do it the old fashioned way. ;) I love the app, just sometimes I just want a quick answer, and I just hop in the car and wait for it to show me on the main display.

Actually, would be uber cool to just have a BT connection (or wifi) to it automatically connect to a display just inside the garage's door to the house, and magically display that info on a little screen on the wall. Neat!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
2.) Imagine looking at the car from the front. You can see the green light blinking and know that it's still charging. My thought is to put an LCD display (maybe 1" red) next to the charge light, so it can be seen outside the car just like you would look at the charge light. It would show SOC, or even cooler, number of miles on the guessometer... maybe a two line display with both... I dunno. I picture making a sticker to clean it up from the outside so if people look at it when charging, they too could see... "wow, this car is charging, and right now has 25 miles of electric range." Maybe I add gas range too so those people can see it has both electric and gas.
If it's blinking when it's charging, then you have a Gen 2, and you can get a simple guess by counting the blinks. 1-2-3-4, with 4 being "Almost done."

Actually, would be uber cool to just have a BT connection (or wifi) to it automatically connect to a display just inside the garage's door to the house, and magically display that info on a little screen on the wall. Neat!
How about on your phone? Have you looked at the OnStar or MyChevrolet apps yet?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's blinking when it's charging, then you have a Gen 2, and you can get a simple guess by counting the blinks. 1-2-3-4, with 4 being "Almost done."
I have a Gen 1. I guess I just said that wrong. Your right, it's on while charging.

Ya... I know the apps will do this. They're really really slow. They're awesome, don't get me wrong, but ... well... let me just copy and paste what I said earlier...

nevitt33 said:
I realize this can be done with the onstar app, but once the free onstar runs out and you don't want to pay for it, then what. Also, with how long onstar takes to connect, it would be way quicker at times to just take a quick look instead of waiting for onstar to connect. I know... we get this nice app from onstar, and I want to do it the old fashioned way. I love the app, just sometimes I just want a quick answer, and I just hop in the car and wait for it to show me on the main display. I realize this can be done with the onstar app, but once the free onstar runs and you don't want to pay for it, then what. Also, with how long onstar takes to connect, it would be way quicker at times to just take a quick look instead of waiting for onstar to connect. I know... we get this nice app from onstar, and I want to do it the old fashioned way. I love the app, just sometimes I just want a quick answer, and I just hop in the car and wait for it to show me on the main display.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
For my LEAF I have the display box (see attached) to monitor the SOC and other information. The second pic shows one example of a display screen, with SOC [top left], time since display activated [ bottom right] and power used or inputted [top right]. There are other numbers displayed but that's for another time. This display connects by a cable to the OBD2. I also have a splitter so I can communicate with the OBD2 with a Clone ELM327 BT dongle without disconnecting the display. If I choose, I can collect enough date to satisfy my OCD appetite. My display resides near the gear shift somewhat hidden and not on top of the dash.

Full disclosure: I am not smart enough to design, build, program or anything else related to the display or the info from the ELM327. One of the local LEAF drivers in Silicon Valley did all the work, I just purchased the products.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's pretty neat, except I want to display the info forward through the windshield so they can be read from someone maybe 10 feet in front of the car.

A display something like this:

display.jpg

... and then I can make a little sticker that says something like % charged, and one that says electric miles, each with a cutout that display shows through or something like that.

I really like the idea of a splitter. Is that something simple like a Y cable, or is there electronics involved to avoid data collisions?

Also, I got my Bluetooth dongle and started messing with it. I've realized that I can't connect to that and listen to music via Bluetooth... duhhhh.... but that sucks. I guess I should have gotten the wifi version. Dang.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
That's pretty neat, except I want to display the info forward through the windshield so they can be read from someone maybe 10 feet in front of the car.

A display something like this:

View attachment 111618

I'm with you. I kinda wish there was an LED readout on the back side of the rear view mirror that showed SOC when the car was turned off or charging.

pardon the crude mspaint mockup, it's the only tool I had on hand.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I really like the idea of a splitter. Is that something simple like a Y cable, or is there electronics involved to avoid data collisions?
I bought the OBD splitter online:
https://www.google.com/#q=OBD2+splitter

I keep the ELM327 dongle and WattsLeft meter connected to the OBD2 in the LEAF. One of these days I need to try the dongle in my Volt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=8527 has info about the WattsLeft monitor (this is his last "update" post about it in that thread).

Something like that should only require minimal tweaking of the programming to work with a Volt instead. Most of the stuff it shows is already displayed by the Volt, but it's the same basic tool that could be used to read values from the car. It's essentially a hardware display version of the MyGreenVolt app.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I don't believe we have PIDs mapped for the EV range, which might hamper your project a bit.
I'm pretty sure gas range is there as it is a standard PID for gas cars, but I don't recall seeing EV range

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much of the gen2 CAN bus has been decoded?

I made a little dash display for the Leaf a few years back
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12561&hilit=leafdd (unfortunately all the photos I posted seem to have vanished).

Here's a nice video one of my customers posted..

I've only had the Volt a few days now and just started poking around on the OBD2 port..

Found my vin# on 0x4e1 (oh boy).

Has anybody already parsed SOC, pack voltage and pack current?

P.S. So far very pleased with the default instrumentation on the Volt.. much better than the Leaf.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've only had the Volt a few days now and just started poking around on the OBD2 port..

Found my vin# on 0x4e1 (oh boy).

Has anybody already parsed SOC, pack voltage and pack current?

P.S. So far very pleased with the default instrumentation on the Volt.. much better than the Leaf.
I've looked around the web and not found much for the Volt. I've got the parts to start monitoring the CAN bus but need some time to put it all together. Hopefully in the next week.

If you find any more info please share.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you find any more info please share.
I just realized this is in gen1 section.. is there a gen2 thread on the OBD2 CAN bus? Is there more than one bus? The Leaf has 3 and I would assume the Volt is even more complex.. all 3 CAN busses were on the OBD2. I've just been sniffing the standard bus.

upper VIN in 0x514, lower VIN in 0x4e1
First byte of 0x1e9 is 0x10 if the brake light is on.
First byte of 0x1f5 has the shifter (PRND) position (but not L)
3rd and 4th byte of 0x337 is the steering wheel angle (12 bits)
0x17d seems to be motor power.. 12 bits.. goes up on acceleration and negative on regen. zero when stopped.
Looks like a similar 10 bit number on the 2nd and 3rd bytes of 0x182

Still don't see a pack voltage or SOC..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts