GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first 5 years, my Volt was completely problem free. The only time it ever saw the dealer was for the coolant level recall.
Now at 6.5 years and 76k miles, it's heading to the dealer for the 4th time in 9 months.

Back in January, I lost all heating, and quickly noticed it was a result have having no engine coolant. Normally I would have found and repaired the problem myself, but I was battling a serious illness at the time, so it went to the dealer. The cause was a mysteriously failed hose clamp. Luckily only cost about $100

Fast forward 6 months and I was hit with the dreaded Service High Voltage Charging System message. Again required a trip to the dealer, as only they can clear the code. $250 and two module reprograms later and it was fixed.

Later that week, the backup camera quit working. Brought it back to the dealer, and they found that the camera was shorted out internally. I bought a new camera and installed it a few days later, and it still doesn't work. It's been a month, and I still don't have a working backup camera.

Now yesterday I noticed a much louder noise than normal, and I'm fairly certain it's the stator bearing race.
I rotated the tires and checked the wheel bearings and half shafts last night, and all of those look good.

Needless to say, the novelty of the Volt has quickly deteriorated this year...

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
At 30k miles I had an oil hose fail on my 2011 Volt. Replaced under warranty
At 75k miles my passenger seta heater failed. Replaced $200 (covered by my $1200 extended warranty).
Now I'm at 97k miles at 7+ years.

That's my repair history.
I did not get the extended warranty for my Bolt.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If these issues hadn't happened all in the same year, it probably wouldn't bother me so much. But the fact that I'm only about 1.5 years from the end of my Voltec warranty, and these problems seem to be coming common, it is quite concerning.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
If these issues hadn't happened all in the same year, it probably wouldn't bother me so much. But the fact that I'm only about 1.5 years from the end of my Voltec warranty, and these problems seem to be coming common, it is quite concerning.
If you're still under Voltec, that $250 for programing the module after the "service high voltage charging" message should have been covered.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I've had a number of glitches that seem software related. That worries me a bit because I know how glitchy an older smart phone or laptop computer can become once it gets more than a few years old. Hopefully the Volt won't suffer from an ever increasing amount of that with age.

·
Registered
124 Posts
MY 2013 had a lot of issues experienced by others in this forum and some others:

- Failed stator bearing race - On Warranty
- Front left wheel bearing - On Warranty
-"click" sound when accel/decel (the CVT join problem) - On Warranty
- 2 chagring ports replaced (unable to charge at 240V) - On Warranty
- Stuck charging port in extreme cold weather - Reparied by myself with solution found on this forum

And some more:
- Failed strut - 700$ (including realigment)
- "squeek" sound from behind the dash when accel/decel. was the A/C evaporator moving. Placed a wood shim between firewall and evaporator to solve the problem (reoccured after 6 months then changed for a MY 2017 volt)
-and maybe more that I couldn't recall

So far on my 2017 (2 years old)
- Rear Parking sensors ("service parking assist" message)
- HMI Module
- Each winter, reoccuring "Check engine" light because the front grille air shutters are stuck in ice, preventing remote starting when I need it the most.

I sincerely wish you won't have more problems with your 5 years volt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts