GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some way of starting the ice to warm the interior? The other day we left the house early in the morning to go to our sons house and the engine started up about a block from the house. That night it was in the low 20s. We had full charge. I didn't pre condition the car because it was sitting in the sun when we left the house. Our sons house is about 230 mile round trip and I want use the battery power for miles not heat. The full round trip only takes 3 gal gas and 1 full charge.

Tow a Volt

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is there some way of starting the ice to warm the interior? The other day we left the house early in the morning to go to our sons house and the engine started up about a block from the house. That night it was in the low 20s. We had full charge. I didn't pre condition the car because it was sitting in the sun when we left the house. Our sons house is about 230 mile round trip and I want use the battery power for miles not heat. The full round trip only takes 3 gal gas and 1 full charge.

Tow a Volt
You can start the Volt and put it in hold mode......or..........start the Volt and pop the hood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hold mode would always start the ice. I didn't think of that duh!!!! Thanks the perfect solution. Thank again!!!!

Tow a Volt

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hold mode would always start the ice. I didn't think of that duh!!!! Thanks the perfect solution. Thank again!!!!

Tow a Volt
If you want the ICE for heat, set the ERDTT (engine running due to temp) to the one that's not "Deferred", and you can also set the precondition setting to also use the ICE for heat.

Also hold mode once you're underway of course.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Tow a Volt
Ask and thou shall receive.........................................remember, my daddy told me: "There are no stupid questions except 1, the one you DON'T ask." :p

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
NB: Hold Mode will let the climate control get through a couple of miles of range BEFORE it starts the engine to charge back up. The right way to do this is what AP1 mentioned:

Vehicle personalization, Climate and Air Quality, Engine Assist Heat, set ON.Engine will come on to warm the heater core anytime the temp is below 35F/1C, and cycle on and off to keep the core warm so you won't be using (much) electricity to warm the car. (Deferred instead of On moves this down to 15F.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts