GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stabilitrak light flashes when I'm moving along, slowing with regular D regen, and taking a left curve like on offramps. I have new tires in the back, 45k on the tires in the front though the tread is like new (they used to be in the back - I rotate my tires once, bar to front while pitching the worn fronts, new tires for the back).

I also had the passenger bearing replaced a few weeks ago. The growling noise is gone, but there is an ever so slight vibration.

I know I'm not hitting any bumps upon regen as that would explain the flashing light. It's happening on Very smooth offramps. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Are you driving it like you stole it? ;) This really sounds like the body yaw sensor or one of your front ABS hubs is failing. For the ABS hub I'd look at the front right - if it's not reading slower than the left side while the rest of the car is showing steering to the left you'll get a stabilitrak warning.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I only have a 2009 Chevy Equinox but in the first year of ownership, the "StabiliTrak" and a "Loss of Traction" warning appeared three times. I brought it each time to the dealer to replace the wheel speed sensor (installed behind the hub) at no cost under the factory warranty. When I picked up my Equinox for the third time, a black 2009 Pontiac Torrent (a rare vehicle!) came in for the same problem. The dealer admitted that the Equinox, Torrent, and Terrain all had wheel sensor problems, probably due to a bad factory supplier. I had no further problems since 2009.

The wheel sensor is critical only if you had to do a high speed panic stop, and the ABS (antilock brake system) could not sense the wheel speed, so you may lose control. Since I never travel over 45 MPH and I brake slowly, I never had that problem.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
On my 2013, I found my stabilitrack to be very sensitive when I had deeper tread on the rear wheels. I could activate it pretty easily on off-ramps if taken even slightly fast.

Then I rotated my tires, putting the deeper tread on the front. Now I can't activate the stablitrack even when I take the off-ramps as fast as I possibly can.

I don't know why that is (maybe obermd described why above), but it seems consistent with what you are experiencing and your tread distribution.

I guess you could think of the symptom as a reminder to rotate your tires.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you driving it like you stole it? ;) This really sounds like the body yaw sensor or one of your front ABS hubs is failing. For the ABS hub I'd look at the front right - if it's not reading slower than the left side while the rest of the car is showing steering to the left you'll get a stabilitrak warning.
I usually drive it like I stole it, but when this stabilitrak light went on, I wasn't driving it very hard at all.

I wonder if there is some stored reading in tech computer that does some tire rotation trimming. The car is at 82k miles. At 36k miles I put 4 new tires on the car. But instead of rotating the tires to get even tread wear, I specifically did not rotate the tires, so at 82k miles my front tires had much lower tread than the rears. When I was dealing with wheel repairs, a bearing problem, etc. I decided to get new tires, so the rears now have new tires, and my fronts have tires with about 45k on them, but they look barely worn as they've just been following along, not really doing heavy braking or hard corners. So I'm wondering if the computer got used to the fronts rotating much more than the rears, so the tire swaps are now causing reading out of bounds to the computer.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Let me be a scootch and say RTFM and stop second-guessing the Volt.:p You're supposed to rotate the tires every 7,500 miles. Even tire wear makes for a happy Stabilitrak system.:D

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I'm pretty sure the stabilitrack system has a gyroscopic yaw sensor that is central to how it works. Maybe there is something about your tires (different types, tread depth, pressure, etc.) that is causing some slight over-steer or under-steer, and it is triggering the system. The system seems to be sensitive to tires in some way, based on your experience and mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My stabilitrak light comes on at least twice a week, primarily during left turns also. Didn't start doing that until I put the 19" wheels on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts