GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed squirrels going under my car and I was concerned that they may be going up into the space between the bottom of the car and the wind baffle. I crouched down and tapped near the wheel well with a stick and sure enough one of the little finks jumped out. I tapped along the bottom of the baffle under where the seats are located and heard a bunch of dirt/gravel(?) bouncing around.

Not good on either, count I think. Any suggestions on how to keep the squirrels out (I don't have a garage) and how to clean out the dirt? Does anyone else get dirt trapped in there?

Hope the rodents don't chew thru anything. That would really suck.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't send food with the cats. They can dine on the rodents. :)

Seriously, you need to watch out for the squirrels and rats. When I had to keep my previous cars outside, the wiring harnesses became snack food and led to very expensive repairs (fortunately it is covered under comprehensive insurance). I could tell they were there because they left nut shells all over the inside of the engine compartment. Nothing I tried worked until I got one of those electronic noise generators (Under Hood Animal Repeller - P3 International is what I got). I placed one inside my engine compartment and it cleared them out. Although I have my new Volt in the garage, I transferred the unit just for safety. I can't even begin to imagine the trouble rodents could cause in an electric car.

On the humorous side, it also tends to repel children (although strangely, it doesn't bother my dogs). My kids hate it and mention it every time they are near the car. Their hearing is better than mine; I barely hear it when I am standing next to the engine. I turn it off when I take the car in for servicing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep, as we age, the higher end of our hearing drops off. Download an app called "Stealth Grenade" to test who around you can still hear the ultra-high frequencies. Most kids will react to it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need cats!!

I'll drop off 6 right after work,, and a bag of cat food.
My cat is an indoor cat, but there is a stray who comes around as well as some neighborhood cats. But cats won't do anything about the dirt that's trapped.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
get a deep cookie pan, put a hand full of mothballs in it, and slide it under your parked car. If you have a garage you can just leave it there, otherwise you'll have to have a place to put it when it's not under the car.

You get the rodent repellent effect without mothballing your car.

I've heard that cotton balls soaked with essence of peppermint works as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get a deep cookie pan, put a hand full of mothballs in it, and slide it under your parked car. If you have a garage you can just leave it there, otherwise you'll have to have a place to put it when it's not under the car.

You get the rodent repellent effect without mothballing your car.

I've heard that cotton balls soaked with essence of peppermint works as well.
I know about peppermint oil and mothballs for mice, so I suppose it should work for squirrels as well.

Ok....anyone have any thoughts/similar observations about dirt and gravel collecting in there and what to do about it? When I tap it with a stick it sounds like a maraca....

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Take off the plastic panels and destroy all the hard work the squirrels and/or pack rats have done.
When they go back on consider duct taping any openings that they can use.
Duct tape, it's almost all you need sometimes. Quack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When we store boats for the winter we put a number of dryer sheets around to keep the rodents away - one of those put in the baffle opening might help. You would want to replace it periodically.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Ok....anyone have any thoughts/similar observations about dirt and gravel collecting in there and what to do about it? When I tap it with a stick it sounds like a maraca....
I would take the car over to cousin Steve's and remove it, at least temporarily. Maybe between the two of you, you can figure out how to improve it.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The "gravel" might be nuts that the squirrels have stored in there. You definitely want to do whatever it takes to keep the squirrels out. If the previous suggestions don't work, a trap might help.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I know about peppermint oil and mothballs for mice, so I suppose it should work for squirrels as well.

Thanks,
Rick
Remember squirrels are just rodents with better PR (a bushy tail) than mice and rats...:rolleyes:

Oh, and feed those barn cats...because a well fed cats hunt much more successfully than starving cats

1 - 12 of 12 Posts