GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake pedal in my 2016 Volt squeaks a little when I press it. I can't figure out where this is coming from. There are no joints at the pedal, they all seem to be up at the distal end of the pedal arm. True?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I had more or a click than a squeak and it turned out to be my shoe. You might want to experiment a bit. If it's still an issue take it to your dealer. Bumper to bumper warranties are a wonderful thing. LOL

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I'll pay closer attention to see if it's my shoe.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
My 2017 did the same for a while. Apparently it's fairly common. Mine went away after a month all by itself. Some people have commented that there metal part that goes through a plastic clip that causes the squeaking (as part of the brake pedal assembly) and that a lubricant like a lithium grease will make it go away.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the bulletin work done, and the squeak is back. Where did you spray the silicon spray? I can't seem to resolve it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the bulletin work done, and the squeak is back. Where did you spray the silicon spray? I can't seem to resolve it.
Make sure they did the right bulletin. The first time I brought in my car with the squeaky brake pedal, they replaced the clip. That was for the wrong bulletin. After I told them there was another bulletin, they replaced the actuator and it's fine now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure they did the right bulletin. The first time I brought in my car with the squeaky brake pedal, they replaced the clip. That was for the wrong bulletin. After I told them there was another bulletin, they replaced the actuator and it's fine now.
I only see these two. Is one the actuator?

For a simple "clicking" noise there may have been an assembly line plastic tie-strap left on the pedal assembly that creates the click. The dealer should refer to Bulletin # 16-NA-049

For a "squeaking" type noise at the brake pedal during apply/release there is an updated braking "push-rod retainer" that alleviates the squeaking. The dealer should refer to Bulletin #16-NA-147

·
Registered
100 Posts
I only see these two. Is one the actuator?

For a simple "clicking" noise there may have been an assembly line plastic tie-strap left on the pedal assembly that creates the click. The dealer should refer to Bulletin # 16-NA-049

For a "squeaking" type noise at the brake pedal during apply/release there is an updated braking "push-rod retainer" that alleviates the squeaking. The dealer should refer to Bulletin #16-NA-147
They did 16-NA-049 and it didn't fix the squeak. Doing 16-NA-147 fixed the squeak for me. Sorry, I meant retainer, not actuator. They also happened to break the pedal position sensor and that was replaced.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They did 16-NA-049 and it didn't fix the squeak. Doing 16-NA-147 fixed the squeak for me. Sorry, I meant retainer, not actuator. They also happened to break the pedal position sensor and that was replaced.
OK, exact same thing happened to me. Replaced that retainer and broke the sensor. LOL. Squeak is back.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just noticed this issue in my 17 Volt. Seems to be intermittent, and appears when weather is above 85 degrees or so, but is not a problem below that. Does anyone who's had the service bulletin done have an experience mirroring this, or is my sound different.

I'd note that I'd describe by sound almost as more of a "creak" than a squeak. Definitely not a click.

I also want to clarify that my 17 Volt is "new" as I just bought it about a month ago. I have installed Husky Floorliners to the extent that could have some role.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts