GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently noticed a somewhat quiet but noticeable clicking/squeaking sound coming from (I think) the driver's side AC/Heat vent (may also be coming from interior door panel). I always had a bit of a rattle there when going over undulations on the highway, but attributed it to poor panel fitment, which I wouldn't be able to fix. Now I'm thinking there may be a loose fan or some other loose equipment inside the vent.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

To the extent it matters, 2017 Volt Premier.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hate to do this, but bumping my own thread. The squeak has become more pronounced recently, and it only occurs after I've pre-heated the car or used the heat system. It continues to happen after the heat is turned off. It does not happen if I do not turn on the heater and only use the heated seats. I'm a bit at a loss because the fact that the squeak continues would seem to indicate that it's not a belt or a fan, but the fact that I can still hear it after I use the heating system and it's coming from the vent seems to suggest it's a component of that system.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Is there a reason you haven't gone to the dealer with this problem? Are you beyond the 3-year/36,000-mile B to B warranty?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan to go soon when I get my 7500 mile tire rotation done. I have not been impressed with my service dealer's response to problems like these (what I would term "cosmetic" complaints that are annoying but do not affect the driveability of the car) when I do not pinpoint the issue for them and refer them to a common problem and/or TSB that I have researched. They have previously responded that these kinds of problems are "normal" -- particularly when I brought up the retaining clip issue that causes the squeaky brake pedal. So I was hoping to get some kind of feedback from someone who had a similar issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When you hear the noise, turn your temp control down to a much lower temp and see if it changes or goes.away.

I hear something which I think might be the same and think it might be something like a blend door actuator that keeps making constant, small.position adjustments. I also hear the same noise on our Regal GS. If I turn the temp to the lowest cool setting or max heat then it stops. I'm guessing at that point the blend door locks at the maximum travel point for each end.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When you hear the noise, turn your temp control down to a much lower temp and see if it changes or goes.away.

I hear something which I think might be the same and think it might be something like a blend door actuator that keeps making constant, small.position adjustments. I also hear the same noise on our Regal GS. If I turn the temp to the lowest cool setting or max heat then it stops. I'm guessing at that point the blend door locks at the maximum travel point for each end.
I'll try this, but I already know that my Volt continues to make the sound after I have turned all HVAC controls completely off. Perhaps the door is just loose in the middle or not properly lubricated? Or maybe something else entirely. As it doesn't seem to be a common issue I'm going to report it to the dealer when I get the tire rotation done and see if they can figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts