GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my Volt about 10 months ago, the hatch worked *fine.*

However, I was bugged by poor fit of the interior plastic panels around the lower rear window: they were bulging in over the lower window like they were too big for the area. I eventually took my Volt into the dealer last month and to my surprise they said they were just going to replace the plastic (I had figured they'd squirt some glue in there and smash the panels flat, or something). Anyway, so they did their magic, and I guess they actually replaced the plastic panels (I hadn't thought of surreptitiously marking the old one but who cares anyway).

Blabla.

Point being, I got my Volt back, was happy with the panels not being warped /bulging around the window (actually there is still a trace amount but far better than before; the surrounding plastic no longer covers part of the window).

Then a week later, I was opening the hatch and noticed this little square hole on the inside (see pic). Maybe it's supposed to be there, but it sure looks to me like they forgot to put something back.

But I thought, no big deal... For whatever reason it didn't bother me.

However, today I noticed the hatch was very misaligned where it meets the car at the top rear corner. Screwing in the rubber bumper screw-things on the hatch was necessary. Why, when I've never had an issue in the past? My hatch has closed *perfectly* in the past. I've never touched those rubber screw-things before today. I can't imagine what made this issue arise.

Without screwing the rubber screw-things in extra far, the hatch closes but not the whole way: I can push it down fairly easily the rest of the way but when I release pressure it comes right back up about half an inch. It's latched closed in that it can't be opened unless the key is proximate and you press the latch release button... But it's loose.

So anyway, tightening those rubber screw- things did the trick, but WHY the change???
IMG_20140518_185635.jpg
I've never had to slam my hatch and it's always been a nice firm latch that closes well.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, THANK YOU... are you a Volt tech or something? Amazing level of knowledge. I wouldn't know how to google for that part.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's the liftgate on my 2011:

Either the dealer forgot the plug, or it fell out. They replaced the trim, so they should also replace the plug.

As for the liftgate closing, I've had to only once adjust the rubber bumpers on my Volt. It was an unusually cold day, and the liftgate would make creaking sounds while driving around. Just a quarter turn on each bumper to make them stick out a bit further stopped the noise, and my liftgate still closes easily. I'd say if you can't get it adjusted to your liking, have the dealer adjust it when they replace the missing plug.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
If the 12V battery is dead, that hole can be used to open the liftgate by inserting a flat bladed screwdriver and turning. Yes, it should have a cover.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I bet a search for "flat bladed screwdriver" may find the thread with pictures on how to open the hatch from inside the car.

I wonder who got trapped in your Volt.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I may not have a Volt, but those "rubber screw-things" are there to adjust how the rear hatch (and front hood) will fit when closed. Since there is no such thing as a perfect fitting car, every manufacturer has those adjustments to improve the fitting when closed. And as the vehicle ages, they need to be adjusted and are easy to do. If you have poor eyesight or mechanical ability, then bring the car to the dealer.

In my case, having GM vehicles in my family since 1963 (before that, we never had a car), I leaned to do it myself, so it isn't an issue for me if I buy a new GM vehicle and its fit isn't perfect because I can do it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was closing my hatch and heard a loud crunching noise. I opened up the hatch again and a piece of plastic fell to the ground. Not sure what it is but it is all mangled. The hatch still shuts. So, I shut the hatch again, like I always do... and the Chevy emblem fell off!! >_< What luck. Not the whole thing, just the yellow/orange plastic. It fits bag in place but doesnt stay. I drove around with it like that for a while but it fell off again when I was closing the trunk... while talking to someone about how much I love the volt... embarrassing. I think the car is too young for a "honk if parts fall off" bumper sticker.

Tires are in need of rotation and first oil change coming up. Going to get it taken care of then.

Great info about the screwdriver trick to open the hatch. When my 12volt died I didn't know how to get the hatch open to access the battery. I knew it was in back.. but didn't know about the remote terminals under the hood... d'oh!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the feedback. Yes I think it must be the heat that had changed the fit of the hatch...

@Talan, my goodness, how awful and embarrassing. My Volt has quite a few fit/finish issues, like external panels not lined up perfectly (as much as 1/8" warpage on the passenger side where the front bumper meets the next panel); the internal lower rear view window fascia being warped (now mainly fixed); the front end of the driver side Volt logo (over the charge door) popping off (I pressed it back on extremely hard, as it appeared to have a glue like material holding it in place, and it hasn't popped off since), a round spot of a buffing mark on the front hood clear coat, etc etc.

But I love my Volt. There's no other equally efficient AND versatile car in its price range, period.

I got 58.8 miles on my first charge today, and I'm going to try to best that in a couple hours here.

That's 5.6 miles per kWh used from the battery. Do the math:

(5.6 mi/kWh)(33.7 kWh/gal) = 188.7 mpg equivalent, literally.

That's ridiculously awesome.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts