GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Gen 1, sport mode created an obvious change in the pedal mapping--heck, the car would lunge forward (satisfyingly) with no change in throttle input upon engagement.

I've been playing with it in Gen 2, and the most I'd call it is "subtle." So subtle, I'm struggling to find out what it does.
When engaged, there is no obvious change in the pedal mapping. If I keep the same pressure on the go pedal on engagement, there is no change in kWh usage or any type of acceleration (UNLIKE Gen 1). Maybe it seems it requires a bit "less" effort for faster acceleration--but I'm reaching here. This is just way different from the Gen 1 sport mode.

Is there something I'm missing, or did GM decide to make this "subtle" sport mode now?

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
That's odd Sport mode in my 2017 is easily felt. But then again maybe it's not as aggressive as the Gen I. But as you know it really doesn't change the actual performance of the vehicle. Mash the throttle and the Gen II will walk a Gen I.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I cannot comment on the diff between Gen 1 and Gen 2 sport modes as I have never driven a Gen 1. However, I am very much able to tell the difference between Sport Mode and Normal Mode in my Gen 2. As Bazinga said above it is easily and readily felt.

It feels to me as if the same travel of accelerator pedal in millimeters in Sport Mode produces about 50-100% more kw output than in Normal Mode (of course there is never any more TOTAL output), just more increase per same amount of pedal travel. I have no way of measuring how much but to me it is a very distinct difference.

Sport Mode has been commented on ad infinitum here. I enjoy the difference on some of the twisty roads here in Vancouver Island, when able to rapidly accelerate with little traffic. But I don't use it that often.

·
Super Moderator
6,431 Posts
Sport mode should get you close to full acceleration with the pedal roughly about half-way depressed.
I can't recall what user provided these readings. I think they were long enough ago that they were Gen I. I just had them saved off and made a graph. It seems plausible.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I rarely use it....unless I am feeling "frisky"! It just makes the car even more fun to drive ! But most of the time, I use the amazing ACC and I am very conscious of maximizing my mileage, both gas and electric. It's a fun game with this car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I rarely use it....unless I am feeling "frisky"! It just makes the car even more fun to drive ! But most of the time, I use the amazing ACC and I am very conscious of maximizing my mileage, both gas and electric. It's a fun game with this car!
I can't tell much of a difference, but when Im feeling boostie - A quick mode button double tap is all it takes to make sure i can max my kwh burn and lower my score....i say bring it on when close to a plug....!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't recall what user provided these readings. I think they were long enough ago that they were Gen I. I just had them saved off and made a graph. It seems plausible.
Thanks, Scott. That graph seems to match my Gen 1 experience. Too bad no one has done the same for Gen 2. Perhaps the Gen 2 throttle map is more closely-matched for the early part of the X axis. In Gen 1, if I am at 20%, engaging sport produces a noticeable immediate increase. In Gen 2, no such increase.

On the other hand, maybe Gen 2 delays engagement of the new throttle map until the position sensor is changed, to avoid the "lunging forward" effect in Gen 1.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In bumper to bumper traffic, the "lunging forward" in SPORT GEN 1, could be dangerous since your acceleration is faster then the car in front of you, requiring sometimes fast braking to prevent an accident. Good reason to use the normal mode in slow heavy traffic.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The difference between Normal and Sport in my 2016 is drastic. I can tell the first time I touch the accelerator after putting it in drive if I've forgotten to put it in sport mode because it feels blatantly sluggish in Normal. Sport feels more like the V6 hybrid I used to drive. It doesn't lurch or lunge unless you want it to, but the throttle curve is definitely much steeper than in Normal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love Sport mode (gen II)! Sport mode is more fun to drive and leave others in the dust (snow) at stop lights (safely of course). Sport mode and Low around town is fun as well. On the freeway I throw it in Drive but leave it in Sport most of the time. Low mode on the freeway kind of feels like a partial parking brake is on. When the weather was warmer I would get close to 60 miles on the battery but now that winter has set in it's between 40-45 miles.

Saw a Bolt in a parking lot! My wife says the Volt is better looking.

skol

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only drive in sport mode because of the drastic difference. As soon as I start the car push that 'mode' button twice without even thinking about it. Whats nice about it is the throttle mapping allows you to roll on the accelerator instead of mashing it. Much better feel and control. In normal 'D' pushing down the go pedal only feels like a suggestion!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I only drive in sport mode because of the drastic difference. As soon as I start the car push that 'mode' button twice without even thinking about it. Whats nice about it is the throttle mapping allows you to roll on the accelerator instead of mashing it. Much better feel and control. In normal 'D' pushing down the go pedal only feels like a suggestion!
What you need to remember is something that was discussed in another thread. In Sport mode, once the go pedal is about half way down, you are at max kw draw and you won't get additional acceleration with additional pedal deflection.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried out sport mode again today. To me, it seems like if I move my foot faster I get greater kWh usage and acceleration, but if I feather it, it's the same as normal mode. In Gen 1, feathering it still made the same jumps in kWh usage, dependent solely on how much I depressed the pedal.

Do all of you drive in "D"--maybe there is a difference with the pedal mapping in "L"--which is what I exclusively drive in. Honestly, sport mode in "L" in Gen 1 was jerky--it was difficult to get a smooth transition among acceleration, coast, and regen without the car bucking. Gen 2 sport mode doesn't have this problem, but also doesn't seem to give me the same "thrills" as Gen 1. I'll give it a test between "D" and "L" to see any difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.