GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all--

We managed to spill a 1/2 gallon of water into the front passenger footwell area. Although the rubber mat caught a little bit of it, a lot of it got down and soaked the carpet.

We've mopped it with towels, but it is still kinda damp.

1. Do I need to open up/expose the floorboards to let the backing of the carpet breathe/dry out? (if yes, is this a big project?)

2. Can I hit it with a hair dryer? Or is that just gonna take forever....

I used to have a carpet cleaner that was designed to suck moisture out of wet carpeting, but alas, we have long since sold it.

I just don't want it to mold and smell bad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

* Ian *

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Park outside. Leave doors open. Aim a large fan at the general area. Sip a few adult beverages. That should do it.
ATM, I wish I was back in Arizona where I could just park it outside and let the heat bake it out. It's kinda humid here in northern Illinois...threatening rain right now.

Still might try it, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else?

* Ian *

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
ATM, I wish I was back in Arizona where I could just park it outside and let the heat bake it out. It's kinda humid here in northern Illinois...threatening rain right now.

Still might try it, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else?

* Ian *
Well, if you had a dehumidifier small enough to fit in the back with the seats down, put it in there and turn it on, close the hatch, doors, windows. Taking moisture out of a room is what they do.

Alternatively, lay absorbent bath tolls on the carpet and put some weight on it (aluminum foil/cookie sheet with books piled on) to wick out as much moisture as possible, follow with fans blowing across the pile.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'd say try to mop up what you can, use a wet/dry vac to suck out more, then put a couple of damp-rid cannisters in the car (you can find them at walmart, sometimes in the RV section, sometimes in the home items for closets.

The nice thing about using these cannisters in a vehicle is the way they are sealed, even if you knock it over it shouldn't leak or spill in your car.

I actually use these to keep moisture down in my gun safe.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Turn the car's A/C with recirculate on and it will help dehumidify. Shop Vac would be my go-to for sucking up stuff out of carpet. Problem with car carpet is the pad is not so porous, so, if it gets below the pad the only thing to do is lift the carpet.

I don't know if modern cars have holes with rubber plugs for this kind of thing. Back in the day, we just lifted the carpet and removed the drain plugs. Simpler times though.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You want to use baking soda.
1) Obviously clean up all you can, towels (pressing hard) wet vac, blah blah Run fans
2) Then, hit it with Baking soda (lots of it)
3) Allow it to soak it up overnight. This will soak up moisture and prevent molding. Vacuum out after allowing this to work.
4) Might want to repeat, depending...

·
Registered
249 Posts
A shop-vac and fan should be plenty, but here are some unconventional but potentially effective ideas.

Damp rid is just Potassium Chloride - same as Ice Melt. Put some in a small bucket and leave it in car to absorb some moisture.

Crystal cat litter like the generic "Mimi Cat Litter" from Walmart will cleanly absorb the water and then can be vacuumed out relatively dry.

If it ends up smelling moldy, an Ozone generator used for a few hours will eliminate any remaining odors.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
All of the above.

The real question is why do you have a half gallon of water in the passenger area? My wife has banned me from eating food or having drinks without a screw-on cap in the car. so was paper cups and the little plastic lid doesn't cut it. Not a bad rule as we have a very slim possibility of a spill (still possible with a timely pothole while drinking).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go rent a rug doctor with the upholstery attachment (worked great for me when I left the window down in my gen 1 during a really nasty storm)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think just letting it dry out will handle it. Leave the mat out for at least a week. Park in the sun and/or leave a window cracked. It should dry in a few days or so.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
OMG! Water in an electric car!!! Run away!!!

:lol:

Just get a wet-vac vacuum cleaner and give the carpet a good clean while you are at it.

If you don't have one, try this - get an old towel and put one end over the carpet and press it down a little to begin soaking up the water, and hang the other end out of the sill down to the ground. Capillary physics and syphonic gravity will suck most of it off over a weekend.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My daughter's old civic takes water inside in big storms if parked outside, after removing the mats, and absorbing all I can with towels, I put a small electric heater with fan in the car aimed at the area, crack open a window on each side by about 2", and let it run for a few hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts