GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello someone...if you could help, that would be amazing of you. I have spent a few hours searching these forums but not found anything relevant.

I have a (16 jun 2011, PN 1007-0016 Rev 2.7) clipper creek L1 EVSE, but one day it just stopped working. It has been fine for almost 8 years exactly on the dot. I have attached some images of how it looks when I opened it up.

Symptoms: None of the two indicator lights light up. I have run tests to ensure i do not have a problem with the car (eg SAE J1772 port) or the outlet—those work fine separately with other things. When I open it up, I do smell that smell of electricity like somethings blown.

Any ideas?
Product Electrical wiring Audio equipment Computer hardware Cable

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electronic instrument

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hood Computer hardware Engineering

(I tried to follow this youtube video's advice, so I bought a fuse holder and bunch of fuses but don’t see a fuse I can switch out, like with the other Chevy L1 evse with the orange cable that this guy is using in his video.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cord for the quick reply! I am new to this, can you elaborate on how to

1. looking under the PCB (what is the PCB)?
2. plugging and un plugging the internals cable (which are the internals cable)?
3. What are over heating signs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Printed Circuit Board, the flat piece with all of the electronic parts soldered to it.
thanks 16falcon! You guys are awesome. What am I looking for underneath the PCB though, then? And if I do see whatever it is, how do I fix it?

Yeah that’s good to know if there isn’t a DIY solution — even for dealers, I feel like they don’t really know how to just switch out a single part and they just have to teplace a whole new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with 16Falcon. Unplug connector J14 and plug it back in.

Have you visually checked to make sure the pins in the J1172 plug are in the proper positions?
Thanks Saltsamn. OK yeah I lifted the tab on that J14 internal connector but it didn't slide that easily, so i wiggled it and got it maybe 80% of the way out, then was hesitant to unplug it in case I couldn't plug it back in as easily. Is it supposed to be wiggled, or should it be sliding easily? Guess I have nothing to lose so might as well wiggle it out.

I think that the pins on the J1172 interface are in the propr position...I don't really have a point of reference to what the proper positoin looks like, though. Maybe you can tell from this picture. Rest assured, the J1172 slots into the car's port just fine. the car charges fine when I plug it into a public charger.
Finger Tartan Gas Electric blue Circle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks everyone! :)

Will buy a replacement unit, what have you guys heard/know about these china brands, do they work well? Feedback from sellers looks good enough, Maybe they're also clipper creek...e.g.

1. Seller "mapoo" L1 EVSE
2. DUOSIDA brand L1 EVSE

actually guess i should start another thread if i search forums & don't find the info i need, since this is a different topic huh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I ended up getting it fixed with EV Doctor REPAIRS & UPGRADES; happened to find him on eBay & looks like Bentbiker knows him too. Super nice guy who was very reasonable. Turns out it was the 5V regulator, and in his opinoin it was just bad luck that it failed, probably not anything I could try and prevent in the future. Apparently he hasn't seen many of them fail.

Thanks everyone! Very much appreciate all your time and insights - truly. Now I just gotta search the forums for why there's a sound coming from the hood of what seems like water sloshing around, when I start up the car...never really heard that before when first pressing the power button on my car, wonder whether only driving it once every few weeks due to the pandemic past 1.5 yrs has finally caused it some issues...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts