GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
345 Posts
1. Printed Circuit Board, the flat piece with all of the electronic parts soldered to it.
2. The only internal connector I see is on the far right side of your second picture, with the brown and black wires attached. You could try unplugging it and plugging it back in. There is probably a little tab that must be pressed in to release the connector.
3. Normally signs of overheating is a small black burn mark where a wire goes into the PCB or where one of the electronic parts is soldered to the PCB. I don’t see any obvious signs of overheating or failed parts in the pictures.

More likely that one of the parts simply failed. No real way to know which one. If it still doesn’t work after putting it back together, you will probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new EVSE.

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
345 Posts
The “magic smoke”, lol. My wife is an electrical engineer (digital electronics), she has never been able to capture all of the magic smoke and get it back into a piece of equipment.

Sarcasm above……once something burns up and makes “smell of electricity like something’s blown” (engineers jokingly refer to that as the magic smoke), the piece of equipment is usually in need of replacement.

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
345 Posts
Just a long shot, but you’re not just hearing the startup audio are you? If it was turned down in the past, you might not have noticed it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts