GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I left work with the 2016 Volt fully charged running in L gear. The light turned green and I punched it. Got up to 35 very quickly and a warning light came on that said "Speed Limited to 35" and then the ICE kicked in. After a few minutes, it went back to 100% electric. This has happened twice in the last week. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yesterday, I left work with the 2016 Volt fully charged running in L gear. The light turned green and I punched it. Got up to 35 very quickly and a warning light came on that said "Speed Limited to 35" and then the ICE kicked in. After a few minutes, it went back to 100% electric. This has happened twice in the last week. Any thoughts?
I'd love to see a video of this. Never heard of this before.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The next time it happens you might contact On-Star and see what error codes they can provide to help your dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The engine will also run if the hood is popped (at least the 2012 will when parked). Will it also run when the car is in motion? If so, loose hood latch or something?

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
I don't recall hearing about that before.

Speed limited or Propulsion Reduced? Where you going up a long, steep hill?

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
My CTS went into this limp mode once when some sensor got confused. It wouldn't go past 30-35 mph because it thought it was out of antifreeze. To prevent from overheating, I think it was using every other cylinder when firing. I limped it to the dealership and left it there, the next morning they started the car, it ran just fine, they could read the code to see the reason for the check engine light, but sent me on my merry and it hasn't happened since.

Maybe there's some mode for the volt for that (so Steverino's hill idea might have some merit - gravity might have made the sensor think there was no fluid somewhere).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was on a flat, city street. Outside temp was mid-60s so no low temperature issues. "Speed Limited To 35" was the error. No popped hood. Car keep going after a bit of a jerk/slowing but engine came and on I went. No EMM or FMM as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
926 Posts
A malfunctioning sensor (or two) triggering a "limp home" mode sounds most plausible. I mean, take a look at this video about a Gen 1 Volt running out of EV and gas range and digging down into the lower battery buffer to limp further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8NiDUbRs4

It's amazing the fail safes the Volt has. Not saying Gen 2 has the same fail safe, but it probably does. Only problem is when the fail safe was triggered incorrectly.

Would be real interesting if this does happen again what the root cause was. Weird that GM doesn't log events over time like a black box. I thought most modern vehicles included such black boxes now for accident reconstruction. Isn't this how Toyota figured out that the some of the "sudden accelerations" were in fact drivers mashing on the accelerator versus the brake?

·
Registered
873 Posts
A malfunctioning sensor (or two) triggering a "limp home" mode sounds most plausible. I mean, take a look at this video about a Gen 1 Volt running out of EV and gas range and digging down into the lower battery buffer to limp further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8NiDUbRs4
Interesting video! I've been too nervous to try that with mine. I don't want to damage my fuel pump.

Something interesting I heard is that the Volt (obviously, from the video) won't let you drain the battery to the point where it bricks the car. I'm sure it would shut itself off if left on for several more hours to the point where the battery couldn't even charge the 12V. The Prius (and other Toyotas), however, will actually drain in "limp mode" to the point where the dealer has to replace the HV battery before the engine can start again...one thing I really like better about the Voltec system than the HSD system.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was on a flat, city street. Outside temp was mid-60s so no low temperature issues. "Speed Limited To 35" was the error. No popped hood. Car keep going after a bit of a jerk/slowing but engine came and on I went. No EMM or FMM as far as I could tell.
Both times when this happened, was it during heavy acceleration? I wouldn't be surprised if llninja's hypothesis was correct. Someone else on the forum was having remote start issues at work and found out that it was because the coolant level was just a tiny bit low when the car was facing downwards, causing a remote start failsafe to prevent it from working. Check the fluids under your hood when you get a chance...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Interesting video! I've been too nervous to try that with mine. I don't want to damage my fuel pump.

Something interesting I heard is that the Volt (obviously, from the video) won't let you drain the battery to the point where it bricks the car.
Several of us gen 1 owners have deliberately run our Volts out of gas (to switch fuels) with no consequences. It does not stumble, it just shuts off with a warning so suspect it's just the fuel sensor shutting it off instead of the pump running dry. I ran out of both one day when it was cold enough that the MTE was off by 3 miles and I drove about 2 miles after running out of both. I found that a little unnerving.

FWIW, if you have a OBD device that will read the fuel level, I usually get about 7-10 miles of city driving after the fuel level reaches zero.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts