GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If Tesla really wants to set the automotive world on fire they need to have a way to link multiple autopilot equipped cars together intelligently for the ability to do close follow distance drafting.

The Lead car when on autopilot if traffic slowed down would signal the "caboose" car to slow down first, then the next to last, then the next in line and so on up to the lead car in rapid sequence. Same idea for lane changes, the lead driver would pick the lane and when all cars in the "train" were clear to move over they would all do so as an integrated unit.

At highway speeds drafting like this would reduce energy consumption on all cars other than the lead car by a large amount, and with an intelligent integration system the cars themselves could figure out what car should be the lead car based on remaining battery range and distance to desired destination.

I wonder if Elon ever reads this kind of stuff?

Keith

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
If Tesla really wants to set the automotive world on fire they need to have a way to link multiple autopilot equipped cars together intelligently for the ability to do close follow distance drafting.

Welcome to Tesla's pseudo-Orwellian future as predicted in the movies!;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
There are standards committees working on car to car communications. And traffic to traffic control communication.

I figure eventually we'll have wireless data beamed into our brains to tell us what to think and what to see. Welcome to the Matrix.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Even just platooning would be great. Instead of the light turning green, the first row starts to leave, then the second, then the third, all introducing delays, all the cars could leave in unison and slow down in unison before getting to the next stop light. That alone would help a whole bunch of rush hour traffic jams where you are waiting and inching forward just to move up towards a stoplight.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Even just platooning would be great. Instead of the light turning green, the first row starts to leave, then the second, then the third, all introducing delays, all the cars could leave in unison and slow down in unison before getting to the next stop light. That alone would help a whole bunch of rush hour traffic jams where you are waiting and inching forward just to move up towards a stoplight.
You are thinking too small. There wouldn't even be a need for stop lights because all of the cars would be "aware" of each other and would time themselves so that they'd just thread through the intersection, no stopping.

The way inter-networked cars could function would scare the absolute bejeesus out of us old timey "manual" drivers with our merely human reflexes.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

The Lead car when on autopilot if traffic slowed down would signal the "caboose" car to slow down first, then the next to last, then the next in line and so on up to the lead car in rapid sequence. Same idea for lane changes, the lead driver would pick the lane and when all cars in the "train" were clear to move over they would all do so as an integrated unit.

At highway speeds drafting like this would reduce energy consumption on all cars other than the lead car by a large amount, and with an intelligent integration system the cars themselves could figure out what car should be the lead car based on remaining battery range and distance to desired destination.

Keith
Mercedes did it with trucks...:)
http://mashable.com/2016/04/05/mercedes-actros-platoon-europe/#HEqbjDu67PqC

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
You are thinking too small. There wouldn't even be a need for stop lights because all of the cars would be "aware" of each other and would time themselves so that they'd just thread through the intersection, no stopping.

The way inter-networked cars could function would scare the absolute bejeesus out of us old timey "manual" drivers with our merely human reflexes.
Baby steps. People won't trust it until you demonstrate its usefulness. Scaring people to death won't instill faith or confidence that these ideas will work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
"Now if we could just get Prius drivers to platoon, too, the roadways would be a lot more pleasurable."

yeah, platoon them in a car park somewhere so we can enjoy some open road.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ummm......

I am to heavy for it to lift, and even if I loose some weight so it can lift me, max speed of 60 mph and half an hour of flight time.... so, around 30 miles range.

Oh, and falling out of the sky to your gruesome death adds a whole new level to range anxiety :D

Keith

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I am to heavy for it to lift, and even if I loose some weight so it can lift me, max speed of 60 mph and half an hour of flight time.... so, around 30 miles range.

Oh, and falling out of the sky to your gruesome death adds a whole new level to range anxiety :D

Keith
While we're dreaming, go for broke.

So I'm thinking..... I'm in the left lane and one of these hive mind freight trains pulls up next to me in the right lane. I need to get to an off ramp. How do I break through? Crowd the lane? That works with people.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
While we're dreaming, go for broke.

So I'm thinking..... I'm in the left lane and one of these hive mind freight trains pulls up next to me in the right lane. I need to get to an off ramp. How do I break through? Crowd the lane? That works with people.
Even if you get over to the exit lane...your problems may NOT be over...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Even if you get over to the exit lane...your problems may NOT be over...:rolleyes:
After I saw this video a few months back, I get really angry every time I see someone driving recklessly unnecessarily trying to get ahead of the crowd on the highways, especially when visiting Chicagoland.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

Keith
Elon has said car-to-car (really car-to-HQ-to-car) is coming. It's a natural step on this long journey. The "facelift" cars supposedly have an additional triple-cam for more data gathering.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Really need to plan ahead better there! :rolleyes:

That gives me a secondary thought - what if there's another hive mind freight train on the off-ramp stopped because a squirrel tried to cross?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Really need to plan ahead better there! :rolleyes:

That gives me a secondary thought - what if there's another hive mind freight train on the off-ramp stopped because a squirrel tried to cross?
Well, hopefully all the vehicles will have the auto-braking feature installed...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was envisioning 3 or 4 car linkups... until every other car on the highway is a Tesla you won't have enough people going in the same direction for a long enough stretch of miles to make it worth the effort. If the "trains" do get long enough for this to be a problem, technically drivers should be paying attention to their surroundings and unless they are all A-holes one of them would manually drop back to let you through.

On that video, did we just see one or more fatalities? Or a glowing advertisement for the safety features of that car manufacturer if the occupants of the car did survive? It is one or the other!

Keith

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I was envisioning 3 or 4 car linkups... until every other car on the highway is a Tesla you won't have enough people going in the same direction for a long enough stretch of miles to make it worth the effort. If the "trains" do get long enough for this to be a problem, technically drivers should be paying attention to their surroundings and unless they are all A-holes one of them would manually drop back to let you through.

On that video, did we just see one or more fatalities? Or a glowing advertisement for the safety features of that car manufacturer if the occupants of the car did survive? It is one or the other!

Keith
Driver was sent to hospital in critical condition (2 broken cervical vertabraes (neck). She was in a coma for a while but got out of it and is recovering exceptionally well. In short: she survived.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Well, hopefully all the vehicles will have the auto-braking feature installed...:rolleyes:
There wasn't time for any auto-feature to react in that video.

After I saw this video a few months back, I get really angry every time I see someone driving recklessly unnecessarily trying to get ahead of the crowd on the highways, especially when visiting Chicagoland.
I just remind myself of the short time I lived in Maryland. Chicago pales by comparison.

I was envisioning.......
That's the trouble with envisioning - it fails in real world situations. Envision a flying car that can lift you. Flying cars won't happen in your lifetime either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts