If automotive engineers in general are listening:
Based on my experiences with vehicles used in a fleet setting, I want the following:
1) Eliminate the need for a mechanism that is dependent on electronics to release the charging door (2012 model year Volt and a 2015 Year Nissan Leaf)(yes I know they have a fix for this)
2) An option for Hacker-proof connectivity, or at least an option to remove completely OnStar at the dealer level. (Keep it simple stupid).
3) Base BASE model option. NO A/C, or for example when I was employed in defense research our Ford Focus fleets lacked a heater/defrost etc. I know Ford still offered this regionally/fleet vehicles a few years back.
4) Obviously realistic operating range of 100miles + without ICE, and with ICE 550 miles+
5) Functional fifth seat.
6) Battery heating option for colder regions that is more aggressive but could be optioned on. (like an RV aux mainland power port etc).
7) dare i say it... station wagon version?!?!??!?! I know... CUV this.. crossover that... but come-on you all know you want one.
Basically for the current generation of perspective EV/PHEV buyers... options options options with a stripped down frugality special for a cheap person like myself.